Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 02:18 PM

25,899 posts, read 42,945,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleur66 View Post
Regarding the comments about suing...if my kid gets injured on your trampoline, and I file a health insurance claim, my health insurance company then has the right to go after your homeowner's policy to recover costs. So it basically out of my hands unless I pretend not to have health insurance. It is called subrogation.

I'd never have a trampoline.
Yep, exactly. My health insurance is not going to pay if someone else is liable, just as if you rear-ended me with your car. "Oh, don't ... they're my neighbors, my friends!" The insurance company doesn't care.

And yeah, we don't do trampolines either. A neighbor had one, and another neighbor's kid broke an arm. No thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 02:46 PM

404 posts, read 910,832 times
I haven't read through this whole thread, but I grew up with a trampoline and I'd recommend them to anyone. No one ever got hurt and it was a ton of fun. "no fancy flips" are you kidding me? That's the point of a trampoline. Backflips, front flips, Lincoln loops, rodeos, misty flips. trampolines teach you air awareness, balance, and are a great cardio workout. introduce a football or soccer ball and you've got yourself an unmatched way to teach hand eye coordination and have a ton of fun. Plus having a trampoline makes you cool lol and it's one of the best ways to get kids outside

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note

Old 07-07-2012, 04:09 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,519,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Yep, exactly. My health insurance is not going to pay if someone else is liable, just as if you rear-ended me with your car. "Oh, don't ... they're my neighbors, my friends!" The insurance company doesn't care.

And yeah, we don't do trampolines either. A neighbor had one, and another neighbor's kid broke an arm. No thanks!
I can't believe I never knew that.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:54 PM

530 posts, read 1,170,337 times
When my kids go to the doctor, the office uses forms that have codes for various problems. So if my kid breaks her arm on the neighbor's trampoline, the doctor circles broken bone, code whatever. In addition, they may write a very short report with more details based on what I say. I am not even sure if the insurance company gets that report. The code seems to be the most important thing for insurance. Therefore unless I make a big deal about it happening on my neighbor's trampoline, I highly doubt my insurance company would be coming back to me to get information about my neighbor. Seriously--insurance companies deal with thousands of claims all the time. I've never heard of them taking the time to go back to a person to get location details on such simple cases.

The times such stories make the news is when the injured party goes after someone--a restaurant, a park operator or whoever. It just isn't the same as car insurance. Unless you have mean neighbors, I would not worry too much about getting sued etc. Frankly, the neighborhood kids could get hurt tripping over a rock in your yard. Sometimes you just have to hope that the goodness of your neighbors will prevail.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:57 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,441,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a bag of it View Post
I haven't read through this whole thread, but I grew up with a trampoline and I'd recommend them to anyone. No one ever got hurt and it was a ton of fun. "no fancy flips" are you kidding me? That's the point of a trampoline. Backflips, front flips, Lincoln loops, rodeos, misty flips. trampolines teach you air awareness, balance, and are a great cardio workout. introduce a football or soccer ball and you've got yourself an unmatched way to teach hand eye coordination and have a ton of fun. Plus having a trampoline makes you cool lol and it's one of the best ways to get kids outside

Sent from my AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note
Though I'm a proponent of trampolines as well, I find it hard to believe that you all did these sorts of things on your trampoline and "no one ever got hurt". Seriously? Not even a small scratch?

Did you use a safety net or anything?

Old 07-07-2012, 06:21 PM

16,241 posts, read 21,507,969 times
We had a trampoline for years and my kids loved it.
If you have a shy kid it's a great way for them to attract other kids over to play too. Lots of rules though, especially if other kids were involved, AND they had to have parents permission to be on the trampoline.
After the kids got too old or disinterested in using it for it's intended purpose it still served a s great comfy spot for them to haul out a pillow and lie to read a book or gaze up at the stars.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,584,581 times
I can't remember if the OP has boys or girls...my girl, and her friends were polite and nice. Taking turns, doing somersaults. No one got hurt. It was fun. Switch to boys....they dared each other to see who could jump the highest, they wrestled and threw each other off the trampoline. The boys were the ones with the most energy and the ones who broke an arm and clavicle. Is it just me, or are boys just more work?

Old 07-07-2012, 06:31 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,441,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I can't remember if the OP has boys or girls...my girl, and her friends were polite and nice. Taking turns, doing somersaults. No one got hurt. It was fun. Switch to boys....they dared each other to see who could jump the highest, they wrestled and threw each other off the trampoline. The boys were the ones with the most energy and the ones who broke an arm and clavicle. Is it just me, or are boys just more work?
It's certainly a popular opinion, and I wouldn't be surprised to find it true. Our little boy definitely has too much energy for his own good! When he comes of age, we'll have to get a safety net with whatever trampoline we buy. No way around it!

Old 07-07-2012, 06:35 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,763,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellar View Post
When my kids go to the doctor, the office uses forms that have codes for various problems. So if my kid breaks her arm on the neighbor's trampoline, the doctor circles broken bone, code whatever. In addition, they may write a very short report with more details based on what I say. I am not even sure if the insurance company gets that report. The code seems to be the most important thing for insurance. Therefore unless I make a big deal about it happening on my neighbor's trampoline, I highly doubt my insurance company would be coming back to me to get information about my neighbor. Seriously--insurance companies deal with thousands of claims all the time. I've never heard of them taking the time to go back to a person to get location details on such simple cases.

The times such stories make the news is when the injured party goes after someone--a restaurant, a park operator or whoever. It just isn't the same as car insurance. Unless you have mean neighbors, I would not worry too much about getting sued etc. Frankly, the neighborhood kids could get hurt tripping over a rock in your yard. Sometimes you just have to hope that the goodness of your neighbors will prevail.
Well, believe me, they do. I had carpal tunnel surgery and radial tunnel surgery (or some such) and I was very careful not to blame it on work, etc ~ because this isn't the time for me to make a big WC claim, etc. But my health carrier was all over it once they got the diagnosis code and paid for the surgery.

But my physicians would never give them a definite causation - so they dropped it.

In this economy - everyone is trying to recover their money and they are very aware if there is a possibility of recovery.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:14 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,519,830 times
I have all boys and I have several friends with all girls. Emotionally, girls are a lot more work. Boys are more physically demanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting