Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 10:22 AM

297 posts, read 573,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I was a gymnastics coach for many years, and we had strict rules about trampolines. One jumper at a time, coach must always be present, and only certain moves allowed (which varied depending on the skill level of the gymnast). Since then I have always been a little shocked to see backyard trampolines with five kids all jumping and flipping at the same time and no adult in sight. It is just a recipe for disaster.
That's my next door neighbor. No parents in sight until one of the kids starts screaming and crying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
No trampoline at my house. I know I wouldn't be able to monitor it sufficiently, and therefore the risk level is too high for me. No pool either, for the same reason.
I've always had a pool, though, with very strict rules. No kids allowed in the pool unless I (or another responsible adult*) was there to watch. And we watched them, period, as opposed to simply being in the vicinity doing something else, like talking on the phone. No diving. No roughhousing. And if I had to go inside for any reason (bathroom, refill my water bottle), the kids had to get out of the pool. Yes, they whined about that - "But you're coming right back out!" - too bad.

Trampolines weren't a "thing" back then, but I wouldn't have agreed to one because it would have been too difficult and unpleasant to monitor.

*I had a neighbor who I wouldn't allow to monitor the kids in my pool, and I wouldn't let my kid in her pool if I wasn't there, because she wasn't responsible. She might have been poolside, but she was too busy yapping on the phone or to another adult there to pay any attention. Her 3-year-old did a face plant in the pool and would have drowned if I hadn't been there to pull her out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 12:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I only allow one kid at a time on our trampoline. I can see it from the lounge window so I supervise from there. No injuries yet...
While I usually agree with you, I'd recommend you be outside near the tramp when 4 year olds are jumping on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Possibility of injury isn't a great reason not to engage in something fun

Parenting words to live by right there.....don't want to rain on kid's fun....fun, fun,fun at ALL costs

Seriously if those aren't the absolute worst words of advice I have ever seen on a parenting forum....

Hey skydiving is fun! Shooting hand guns is fun! Diving into rock quarry lakes is fun, do it headfirst, adds to the fun!

Back on topic to trampolines..

How funny is a broken neck or permanent neurologic damage?

"Head and/or neck injuries accounted for up to 17% of all trampoline injuries and can cause the most damage; permanent neurologic damage occurs in 1 out of every 200 trampoline-related injuries."

But hey, its "fun" so its "ok"!!

Trampolines Not Worth the Risk, Doctor Group Says
I read the article, and there are some good points. I'd like to see some evidence that nets don't help, because I've heard the opposite. I held out for a long time, but we did get a tramp eventually. My kids both were gymnasts, and did know what they were doing. We did not let more than one on the tramp at a time, or let the kids spray water on it, as some kids do, or let them jump onto it from a pool diving board as one of their friends was allowed to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiegendesLicht View Post
I would rather have my children doing sports, even extreme sports (although I would be worried to death for them of course) than doing drugs or spending their nights bar-hopping.
It seems to me it's not an "either/or" situation with those two activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT15 View Post
That's my next door neighbor. No parents in sight until one of the kids starts screaming and crying.

I've always had a pool, though, with very strict rules. No kids allowed in the pool unless I (or another responsible adult*) was there to watch. And we watched them, period, as opposed to simply being in the vicinity doing something else, like talking on the phone. No diving. No roughhousing. And if I had to go inside for any reason (bathroom, refill my water bottle), the kids had to get out of the pool. Yes, they whined about that - "But you're coming right back out!" - too bad.

Trampolines weren't a "thing" back then, but I wouldn't have agreed to one because it would have been too difficult and unpleasant to monitor.

*I had a neighbor who I wouldn't allow to monitor the kids in my pool, and I wouldn't let my kid in her pool if I wasn't there, because she wasn't responsible. She might have been poolside, but she was too busy yapping on the phone or to another adult there to pay any attention. Her 3-year-old did a face plant in the pool and would have drowned if I hadn't been there to pull her out.
I have researched drowning and the above is how a lot of drownings happen. The recommendations I have read say to always have one person whose job it is to watch the kids and only watch the kids!

Old 04-13-2015, 12:48 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsAngel View Post
While I usually agree with you, I'd recommend you be outside near the tramp when 4 year olds are jumping on it.
The lounge has a door to outside and the trampoline is less than a metre from that door so it doesn't really make much difference whether I'm outside that door or inside I think, as the few extra seconds to get out won't make a difference if there is any injury. It would be different if there wasn't a net, as then being outside next to it I could possible catch her if she fell off but there's a net.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:23 PM

367 posts, read 415,299 times
I did not read the whole thread, but I am glad I read through a few responses. I have always been vehemently against trampolines but was considering giving in for my daughter's 11th birthday. I am so glad I didn't!

Old 04-14-2015, 11:18 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
I have three words. Snap, crackle, pop. No kidding.

Mick

P.S. Many homeowners insurance expressly exclude trampoline-related injuries. Don't just think of your kids getting hurt, but also guests and non-guests who come on your property without your permission or knowledge.

Old 04-14-2015, 12:33 PM

3,166 posts, read 3,359,979 times
Owning a Trampoline is no different than having a pool or living on a lake. They all carry risks that may lead to injury or death when used. My Aunt was very much against trampolines with her children but had a pool.

My siblings and I had a trampoline growing up. Other than a few bruises, noone ever got hurt that required going to the med center.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:17 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
The lounge has a door to outside and the trampoline is less than a metre from that door so it doesn't really make much difference whether I'm outside that door or inside I think, as the few extra seconds to get out won't make a difference if there is any injury. It would be different if there wasn't a net, as then being outside next to it I could possible catch her if she fell off but there's a net.
Only about 1/3 of trampoline injuries occur with falls "off" the trampoline, the majority occur with contact to the trampoline mat or other children.

Nets are helpful but they don't prevent the majority of injuries.

About 1/2 of all injuries occur under direct parental supervision, the idea that you could "catch" a child before they are injured is less likely than winning the lottery...

Old 04-14-2015, 11:46 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,250,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Only about 1/3 of trampoline injuries occur with falls "off" the trampoline, the majority occur with contact to the trampoline mat or other children.

Nets are helpful but they don't prevent the majority of injuries.

About 1/2 of all injuries occur under direct parental supervision, the idea that you could "catch" a child before they are injured is less likely than winning the lottery...
Yeah and a few extra seconds to get outside isn't going to change anything in those injuries. And I did only say possibly catch. I suppose you could get a whole lot of people stand all around the trampoline like how it was at school in trampoline lessons to catch someone falling off (and of course they would never catch us, but that was the safety procedure in school)

Old 04-15-2015, 09:30 AM

11 posts, read 10,740 times
Nay, the risk of injuries is too high and our yard is too small anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting