Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 05:47 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,654,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post

And you wonder why people end up divorced. Maybe those independent ausies should be a bit more careful about who they let knock them up, if they don't even want to claim the guy on the birth cert.

OP, please, please, please do not do this. no one with a single ounce of respect for their spouse would do this.

I believe these people are married. Isn't there an assumption that the husband is the father if they are legally married?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 05:59 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
I believe these people are married. Isn't there an assumption that the husband is the father if they are legally married?
Yes. That is the law in all the US states that I'm familiar with.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:11 PM

4,001 posts, read 6,272,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Geesum pete's - thank God she's the minority on this thread.

Anybody advocating purposely doing something so huge as going behind a spouse's back to name their child has no clue what it takes to be successfully married. No clue at all!

I do hope our OP is smarter than to take that advice seriously.

I said she COULD.

I didn't say she SHOULD.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:36 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,810,953 times
Id compromise and name the child Henry, it seems to mean a lot to your husband.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Eh it's comparable to saying she should take one for the team because he has some archaic notion of naming his progeny after himself.
It is way more than that. She's advocating being conniving, deceitful, and vengeful on what should be one of the happiest days of this couple's life.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It is way more than that. She's advocating being conniving, deceitful, and vengeful on what should be one of the happiest days of this couple's life.
Exactly! Doesn't sound too "feminist" to me!

Henry is enjoying a resurgence of popularity these days (as a name).

Old 06-12-2012, 07:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucidkitty View Post
Eh it's comparable to saying she should take one for the team because he has some archaic notion of naming his progeny after himself.
Sometimes you do "take one for the team" when you love your spouse and want to see them happy.

Personally, I also see nothing wrong with archaic notions. Naming your progeny after yourself being one of them. Just because something is old doesn't mean it's inherently bad. (Marriage is a pretty archaic notion yet millions of people get married every year.) Since you've mentioned feminism, I don't see this as a feminist issue especially since the wife no longer HAS to take her husband's last name.

The OP says she just doesn't like the name. I don't think she's mentioned having a problem with the fact that it's a family tradition, has she?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:28 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sometimes you do "take one for the team" when you love your spouse and want to see them happy.

Personally, I also see nothing wrong with archaic notions. Naming your progeny after yourself being one of them. Just because something is old doesn't mean it's inherently bad. (Marriage is a pretty archaic notion yet millions of people get married every year.) Since you've mentioned feminism, I don't see this as a feminist issue especially since the wife no longer HAS to take her husband's last name.

The OP says she just doesn't like the name. I don't think she's mentioned having a problem with the fact that it's a family tradition, has she?
Not in a case like this you don't because he is being a obstinate fool over the situation. Archaic notions are fine but i don't find they should be set in stone is all.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:29 PM

458 posts, read 611,328 times
Op, I don't recall if you ever stated what you would prefer to name your child if it's a boy?!?

Old 06-12-2012, 07:30 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,281,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Exactly! Doesn't sound too "feminist" to me!

Henry is enjoying a resurgence of popularity these days (as a name).
Since when? It's not even a top 20 name for boys .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting