Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 07:26 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Honey- I never said it was okay.
Umm, can I get a "Honey" too, because I definitely thought you were saying it was okay...

Quote:
...My Dad would... take me home and switch me.

I did NOT get in trouble very often at school, lol.

As a matter of fact- I lived in a neighborhood with blue collar dads, and back then if ANOTHER dad saw you doing something wrong... THEY switched your butt, then sent you home to your Dad who then switched your butt again. Again- you didn't really get in trouble very often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 07:34 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,650,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Umm, can I get a "Honey" too, because I definitely thought you were saying it was okay...
I described what happened in my childhood, not what I practice or believe in.

If you wish to infer from that statement that I am a proponent of the practice, then you are wrong. And quite frankly that would not be surprising in my opinion.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I described what happened in my childhood, not what I practice or believe in.

If you wish to infer from that statement that I am a proponent of the practice, then you are wrong. And quite frankly that would not be surprising in my opinion.
Okay, let me explain something to you. When you jump into a conversation in which people are arguing "Right or wrong?", and you only say that you were disciplined in this way and you didn't get in trouble often, that gives reason to infer that you are defending it. If you want to be taken as a neutral on the subject, I'd suggest you give a hint of that next time. If you want to acknowledge that it isn't the best way to raise a child, do so

Old 03-17-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Okay, let me explain something to you. When you jump into a conversation in which people are arguing "Right or wrong?", and you only say that you were disciplined in this way and you didn't get in trouble often, that gives reason to infer that you are defending it. If you want to be taken as a neutral on the subject, I'd suggest you give a hint of that next time. If you want to acknowledge that it isn't the best way to raise a child, do so
Why do I need to argue whether it's right or wrong? There are no rules of the road to post to a thread, lol. I don't feel the need to project my opinion on every thread, and I am at free will to disclose my experiences as a youth. However I see your opinion on the matter is to 'hang 'em'- well isn't that worth a little discussion now? Don't spank kids but kill the parents?

Wow- not exactly practicing what you preach, lol.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Why do I need to argue whether it's right or wrong? There are no rules of the road to post to a thread, lol. I don't feel the need to project my opinion on every thread, and I am at free will to disclose my experiences as a youth. However I see your opinion on the matter is to 'hang 'em'- well isn't that worth a little discussion now? Don't spank kids but kill the parents?

Wow- not exactly practicing what you preach, lol.
Why are you deflecting?

1. "Hang 'em" was not meant to be taken literally. By most, it wasn't. You'll notice how little attention it got? But would I recommend they be punished to the fullest extent of the law? Absolutely. You don't hit/spank another person's kid without their permission, period!

2. I never preached against murder, lol.

3. There may be no official rule here that says "If you post on a thread in which people are arguing and you don't want them to think you're choosing side A, don't just post statements that seem to defend side A". But that's probably because the writer of the official rules here thought you should know that already.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:25 PM

Well if I'm deflecting your projecting, lol.

You assume a lot in my posts, and seem very cavalier to point that out. When you've inquired for specifics, I've answered. Is that a problem? It sure seems that way.

I've inferred from your posts that your opinion appears (for you) to be the only 'right way', and anyone that doesn't see the world in your colored glasses is wrong, as is absolutely the case with your 'hang- em' comment.
And I, quite frankly, do not agree with that all.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:30 PM

Yes yes, I'm the only one in this entire forum who thinks he's right and various others are wrong, Threerun

Old 03-17-2012, 09:32 PM

89 posts, read 327,546 times
Quote:
If you want to be taken as a neutral on the subject, I'd suggest you give a hint of that next time. If you want to acknowledge that it isn't the best way to raise a child, do so
Personally, I have found this guidance to be extremely helpful in any communication I make, online or off. It clarifies my position in a discussion and reduces misinterpretation.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Yes yes, I'm the only one in this entire forum who thinks he's right and various others are wrong, Threerun
Suffice to say I'm not going to formulate an opinion based on a media report, especially when I have zero clue as to the father's prior attempts to address the issue.

My opinion is that "You need to do whatever you feel is best to teach your children what is expected and right". And I see where none of my posts have deviated from this.

I do not, nor will not declare my opinion of right or wrong. It's not my place.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:56 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,519,045 times
Quote:
Suffice to say I'm not going to formulate an opinion based on a media report, especially when I have zero clue as to the father's prior attempts to address the issue.

My opinion is that "You need to do whatever you feel is best to teach your children what is expected and right". And I see where none of my posts have deviated from this.

I do not, nor will not declare my opinion of right or wrong. It's not my place.
Well, I respect this position Threerun. I will say that I also misinterpreted your original post that you were a proponent of school paddling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting