Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 02:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,256,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I will load my brother's back pack with every class's material before lunch and mail it to you. Then I'd like to see you carry it around on your back.
Been there. Done that.

I'm never quite sure why you can't understand that other people have had experience with something. Lugging heavy books and supplies around campus and up and down stairs is an everyday thing for most students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 04:04 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,985,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Been there. Done that.

I'm never quite sure why you can't understand that other people have had experience with something. Lugging heavy books and supplies around campus and up and down stairs is an everyday thing for most students.
Then you know about the back issues it causes.
In 7th grade I was in the nurses office a few days a week with a migraine from the tension in my back and neck from carry my back pack around.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You are still not supposed to be tardy to your next class. Btw, my dd managed in a high school which was quite large even when she had to get from one wing to the opposite wing. She never was late to class.

While you may need the bathroom on occasion, usually, you can use your lunch period for that rather than passing period. Most kids *can* hold it for several periods (unless they have a medical condition).

Then too, if you carry your books for the morning, you only need to go to your locker at lunch and then take your books and stuff for the afternoon. It's a matter of planning and time management.
nothing you learn in school is worth the discomfort of waiting to pee for a few class periods.
It takes a few minutes to go to the bathroom, the world will not end if you miss a few things the teacher says.

They need to make the passing period longer.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:29 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
nothing you learn in school is worth the discomfort of waiting to pee for a few class periods.
It takes a few minutes to go to the bathroom, the world will not end if you miss a few things the teacher says.

They need to make the passing period longer.
Your attitude is part of the problem. Your job if you are in school is to learn and you need to take that seriously. If we made the passing periods longer, you would still complain *and* the school day would be longer too.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Your attitude is part of the problem. Your job if you are in school is to learn and you need to take that seriously. If we made the passing periods longer, you would still complain *and* the school day would be longer too.
No not really.
If the passing period was one or two minutes longer, especially in those huge over crowded schools, it would greatly benefit the students.
Over crowding and school size is not the fault of the students, admin should see that things NEED to be adjusted according to school size and how many students it has.

Old 03-14-2012, 04:41 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,772,509 times
Please remember that the topic of this thread is paddling in school. I know that somebody mentioned that some Alabama schools paddle for tardies, but a debate about whether passing periods should be longer should really go over in Education. Thanks.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,403,951 times
Quote:
But every once in a while, a parent from one of these small towns will object, like Tenika Jones of Levy County. Last year, the principal at Joyce Bullock Elementary sent home a waiver asking parents for permission to paddle students. Jones didn’t sign it. But her son, Geirrea Bostick, was paddled anyway.
Hang 'em. This is exactly why you don't advocate spanking in general. It welcomes all sorts of other dumb ideas, like spanking another person's kid without their permission.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:19 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Hang 'em. This is exactly why you don't advocate spanking in general. It welcomes all sorts of other dumb ideas, like spanking another person's kid without their permission.
Yep. There are also far better ways to handle misbehavior in school

1. Set up the rules so that kids know what they are and teach the rules at the beginning of each year. Then reinforce this teaching frequently as needed

The rules in my classroom were very simple

Respect yourself
Respect others
Respect property

2. Outline the consequences and make them very clear. It helps if you have the students help to set up the consequences.

3. Post the rules and consequences in the classroom and review them frequently.

4. Reward good behavior whenever possible.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:22 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,536,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I think it's kinda icky to have a high school student bending over a desk. It smacks of well, I don't know but I sure wouldn't be doing it if I were a teacher.

But then again, I don't believe in paddling at school.

I grew up in the deep South where kids were bent over a desk and paddled for any stupid infraction. And the schools were TERRIBLE. Fights all the time - something just wasn't working.

I was so glad when we moved!

OMG, I so agree with you!
My son went to school in Mississippi and they spank the kids at that school. To me that is just wrong. Like you said, if I was a teacher I would refuse. It just sounds creepy.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:24 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,536,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
If my preschooler came home with welts inflicted by an adult, we'd be at the police station filing charges.
Oh but they make sure not to leave marks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting