Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,405,927 times

Advertisements

news story today

Spanking at School? In 19 States, Corporal Punishment Is Legal - ABC News
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 08:25 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,419,932 times
"Opponents of the ban say spanking is matter of tradition and good old-fashioned discipline."

Sounds like one heckuva good reason to me!

Old 03-16-2012, 02:46 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,080,013 times
Easily avoided. Research school policy before moving into a district. We live in GA now (often legal), and lived in FL before this (also often legal). I knew we weren't buying a house in an area where paddling was accepted, because I did my research.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:31 AM

9 posts, read 9,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My elementary school called my mom, who then called my dad, who had to be radioed in the field from dispatch that "your son is in trouble at school". My Dad would then have to leave the jobsite (he was an HVAC/Electrician) come to school, and he would k*ck my ass all the way to the truck, then take me home and switch me.

I did NOT get in trouble very often at school, lol.

As a matter of fact- I lived in a neighborhood with blue collar dads, and back then if ANOTHER dad saw you doing something wrong, or if you talked back to a Mom, THEY switched your butt, then sent you home to your Dad who then switched your butt again. Again- you didn't really get in trouble very often.

Schools where I grew up didn't switch (70's)- the village at home took care of it.
Thats behaving because of fear, not because the kid actually learned a lesson of life from it. Tyrants throughout history used fear to control the masses. They couldn't force people to see things their way but they could beat them into submission and make them be good little followers. This was usually followed by a rebellion or underground movement and thats what the kids do, they rebel and possibly become delinquents. Or learn to become sneaky and find ways to do what they want in cognito. It just doesn't work. There's a reason we don't get spanked as adults for doing the same things at work...cuz we'd hit back, we press charges, etc. So why is it okay to hit a kid? Cuz we're bigger? I think spanking is just an excuse people use when they are frustrated and can't think of anything else so they lash out and use it as an excuse. If spanking is okay then so should beating the tar out of em like a punching bag.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:31 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,510,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
"Opponents of the ban say spanking is matter of tradition and good old-fashioned discipline."

Sounds like one heckuva good reason to me!
Hitting in any other situation would be considered physical abuse. Hitting between spouses is called physical abuse or domestic violence. An employer hitting an employee would be considered way out of line and the employer's career would probably be ruined for life. A stranger hitting another stranger can be arrested by the cops.

But of course when an adult hits a child, whether it's teacher to student or parent to child, that's okay! That's just good old-fashioned discipline!

Can you imagine if society used that kind of logic for rape? Adult acquaintance raping another adult acquaintance--illegal sexual abuse. A stranger raping another stranger--highly illegal. Employer raping employee--also highly illegal. Spousal rape--sexual abuse. But an adult raping a child? Oh that's just good old-fashioned discipline!

Old 03-17-2012, 09:58 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,419,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Hitting in any other situation would be considered physical abuse. Hitting between spouses is called physical abuse or domestic violence. An employer hitting an employee would be considered way out of line and the employer's career would probably be ruined for life. A stranger hitting another stranger can be arrested by the cops.

But of course when an adult hits a child, whether it's teacher to student or parent to child, that's okay! That's just good old-fashioned discipline!

Can you imagine if society used that kind of logic for rape? Adult acquaintance raping another adult acquaintance--illegal sexual abuse. A stranger raping another stranger--highly illegal. Employer raping employee--also highly illegal. Spousal rape--sexual abuse. But an adult raping a child? Oh that's just good old-fashioned discipline!
Don't tell it too much like it is now...

Old 03-17-2012, 06:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,065,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaPopina View Post
good luck trying to paddle a teenager, since they are as large and strong and often in better shape than the adults lol. Might find themselves getting paddled by them instead.
Some time ago, I used to frequent a usenet group called alt.parenting.spanking where spankers and anti-spankers posted and debated about the issue. (The group is all spam now, so it is difficult to find old posts).

In this forum, we had parents who advocated paddling in school. In most cases, there children were spanked at home on a somewhat regular basis.

There were three different kinds of children represented in this group.

The first were those who were cowed and would never dare to resist punishment doled out by adults at all. These children did try to be good and were rarely paddled at school, but they did not resist when they were. Often these children were seen as *good* kids because they tried so hard to do what the adults around them expected them to do.

The second group were those who were defiant. These children would fight both the parents and adults at school. They were more likely to be abused because the punishments kept escalating.

The third group were those who were quietly trying to get away with the misbehavior and to not get caught. These children tended to be sneaky. They did not get caught often, but when they did, they had different reactions depending upon their personalities.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:13 PM

89 posts, read 330,249 times
Wow...look at this:

Quote:
This image was published by the Anti-slavery Office in Boston, Massachusetts, in 1845. It shows a spanking paddle being used for its originally intended purpose, which was to beat slaves. This image is of a historic event and it is in the public domain. It is being uploaded for use on the Wikipedia page about spanking paddles. It will be placed on that page by a paragraph that contains a quote from George Ryley Scott. His book on the history of corporal punishment is referenced on that page.
File:Spanking paddle invented to beat slaves.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Public domain image from Wikipedia: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...eat_slaves.jpg

It's safe for work, but very disturbing nonetheless.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:22 PM

20,033 posts, read 23,000,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaPopina View Post
Thats behaving because of fear, not because the kid actually learned a lesson of life from it. Tyrants throughout history used fear to control the masses. They couldn't force people to see things their way but they could beat them into submission and make them be good little followers. This was usually followed by a rebellion or underground movement and thats what the kids do, they rebel and possibly become delinquents. Or learn to become sneaky and find ways to do what they want in cognito. It just doesn't work. There's a reason we don't get spanked as adults for doing the same things at work...cuz we'd hit back, we press charges, etc. So why is it okay to hit a kid? Cuz we're bigger? I think spanking is just an excuse people use when they are frustrated and can't think of anything else so they lash out and use it as an excuse. If spanking is okay then so should beating the tar out of em like a punching bag.
Honey- I never said it was okay.

However- In my case it was a good reminder to not do something that resulted in a call to my dad, lol.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:23 PM

10,448 posts, read 12,510,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Honey- I never said it was okay.

However- In my case it was a good reminder to not do something that resulted in a call to my dad, lol.
Yep. Just like my teacher used molesting me as punishment. I made sure never to drop my pencil or breathe wrong either.

Still doesn't make it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting