Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:52 AM

9 posts, read 9,218 times

Advertisements

Well there are some names that match certain areas of the world, like Muhammed or Shaka or anything obviously from SE Asia. It would be odd (to me) to see a Norwegian blond blue eyed person with an Asian or African or Mideastern name. Nothing wrong with it, just would seem odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 08:07 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
The comment was uncalled for. I used to inprocess soldiers and I cannot imagine that anyone would ever make a comment about a name not fitting the person's race and that she was referring to a child with the child right there. You have an obligation to help protect others from the ignorance of this woman so turn her in and spare someone else. Seriously, people always wonder how children can be so cruel, what do think this woman's kids will be like. Imagine this at school, a student or teacher telling a child that their name doesn't match their race!
It's cruel to think by a name a child might be black because the name given to the child is 99% used by black parents?

Why is that cruel? I really don't get it unless you think someone thinking your child might be black is something that should offend you. Why? It's a pretty name if a black girl has it, it's also a pretty name for a white girl. Why would you want to make a big deal out of this?

Would it be cruel if a black nurse made the exact same comment?

Yes it's best if people never think outloud and stick to carefully written scripts because now this nurse has encountered a white mother offended that someone thought her precious white daughter was black because of a name she chose to give her. Well tough but when you pick a name for a child you certainly should be smart enough to know that people react to names.

In fact some couple had a child removed from the home because they named the child Adolph Hitler, and I think we could all assume by the name that this wasn't a Jewish family.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
People will always make stupid comments about "something". Some people are just that way. When our son was born he didn't have much hair, but over the course of 6 months, we realized he would be blonde. My wife and I both have dark brown hair. Do you know how often people would make comments about "where did the blond hair come from" or "who's the father"??? It was funny about the first two times it happened and then I found it offensive because I felt like people were questioning if I was his father or not. We actually thought his hair would darken, but he is almost 7 now and still blonde (for the record, we both have a blonde parent on each side). Would you believe people still ask us this question? My standard response now which usually shuts them up is "we're not sure. The DNA results haven't come back yet"....
My mom wanted to name my brother "Mark", but her sister-in-laws told her that people would think he must have been born with a birthmark so she found another name but never got over them "ruining" her favorite man's name.

So what if you have carefully chosen and really like a particular name to give to your child. And if you decide you want to be different and make some impression on people, don't be offended when you did just that.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:29 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,504,037 times
I have a feeling the OP was offended because it is not a typical white name and somebody pointed it out. That bothered her more than anything

Old 03-16-2012, 12:31 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,504,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
My mom wanted to name my brother "Mark", but her sister-in-laws told her that people would think he must have been born with a birthmark so she found another name but never got over them "ruining" her favorite man's name.

Hmm, I wold never have thought that about Mark.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:14 PM

114 posts, read 232,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I have a feeling the OP was offended because it is not a typical white name and somebody pointed it out. That bothered her more than anything

umm i was not offended at all, like i have said before i was just dumb founded about what she said, if she wanted to say something about her name there is other ways of going about it, and that would have been fine i would have been more than welcomed to tell her how we came up with her name.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Hmm, I wold never have thought that about Mark.
I wouldn't either. I almost wondered if they meant it as a joke, but it always bothered my mom that they said this and she didn't use a name that she had always meant to use.

I thought it was silly -- but people can be offended by the silliest things. However silly though, people are entitled to their opinions.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklapps View Post
umm i was not offended at all, like i have said before i was just dumb founded about what she said, if she wanted to say something about her name there is other ways of going about it, and that would have been fine i would have been more than welcomed to tell her how we came up with her name.
The only way to never be dumb founded by people is to go off and be a hermit somewhere.

So what that you were dumb founded? Is there a day that goes by that many of us aren't dumb founded in some way or another? She made the mistake of thinking out-loud I think and thinking a child might be black due to the name given her is not exactly an insult or cruel, it's just one of those so-what situations. And it probably won't be the last time someone makes an assumption either the same or different.

Wait until you have a child that doesn't talk clearly and some busy-body suggests you get his tongue cut. Or recommends a speech therapist when you never asked for a recommendation. It's really best not to get disturbed over it, just shrug or laugh and move on. Or think of quick retorts you can use in the future if you like.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:59 AM

88,647 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The only way to never be dumb founded by people is to go off and be a hermit somewhere.

So what that you were dumb founded? Is there a day that goes by that many of us aren't dumb founded in some way or another? She made the mistake of thinking out-loud I think and thinking a child might be black due to the name given her is not exactly an insult or cruel, it's just one of those so-what situations. And it probably won't be the last time someone makes an assumption either the same or different.

Wait until you have a child that doesn't talk clearly and some busy-body suggests you get his tongue cut. Or recommends a speech therapist when you never asked for a recommendation. It's really best not to get disturbed over it, just shrug or laugh and move on. Or think of quick retorts you can use in the future if you like.
Now THAT'S bizarre. Geez.

I remember being annoyed by someone woman who said, more than once when my daughter was a toddler, "Oh that's right, you have a GIRL. I always think you have a boy, because she looks like a boy."

I looked at her and realized she was absolutely clueless as to what she sounded like and just let it go.

Old 03-17-2012, 02:32 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,840,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Now THAT'S bizarre. Geez.

I remember being annoyed by someone woman who said, more than once when my daughter was a toddler, "Oh that's right, you have a GIRL. I always think you have a boy, because she looks like a boy."

I looked at her and realized she was absolutely clueless as to what she sounded like and just let it go.
My mother gave us bowl hair cuts until we where about 8. EVERYONE thought we were boys. Guess who I was mad at? Not the people who mistook me for a boy. My mom. She made me the victim of the ridicule!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting