Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 01:27 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,934 times

Advertisements

People will always make stupid comments about "something". Some people are just that way. When our son was born he didn't have much hair, but over the course of 6 months, we realized he would be blonde. My wife and I both have dark brown hair. Do you know how often people would make comments about "where did the blond hair come from" or "who's the father"??? It was funny about the first two times it happened and then I found it offensive because I felt like people were questioning if I was his father or not. We actually thought his hair would darken, but he is almost 7 now and still blonde (for the record, we both have a blonde parent on each side). Would you believe people still ask us this question? My standard response now which usually shuts them up is "we're not sure. The DNA results haven't come back yet"....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 01:47 PM

2,162 posts, read 3,364,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklapps View Post
I dont know if this has happened to anyone else.
my daughter and I were at the doctors office the other day when the nurse called my daughters name, and when we got up she had made a comment that my daughters name didnt match what race she was thinking she would be?!? This is not the first time i have heard this, has anyone else ever heard this??

by the way my daughters name is Anaya and we are white.

I can see that confusion. Based on the name, I would also make that assumption.
I suppose over time it will not be an issue.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Was it an unprofessional comment? The reaction I am hearing makes it sound like, "How dare they think my child is a different race?" Is there something wrong with being a different race where that assumption would be offensive?

Anaya is an unusual name, so you and your daughter are going to encounter this kind of reaction throughout her life. I don't think people mean anything by it--just as people would probably assume things about people named Lars or Francisco or Ming.

Agreed. My name is spelled Krys and for whatever idiotic reason, people can't figure it out that it's Kris with a y.
If you choose to do something unusual with your kids' name, this is what you will deal with...

Old 03-15-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
To add, I wouldn't report the nurse. I don't see it as a big deal and it was hardly harmful.

people are way too sensitive these days.

Agreed. Why even post about this, really?? Got nothing more productive to do?

Old 03-15-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemaine View Post
Now I'm dying to know your husband's name!

meee tooo!

Old 03-15-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
i would like to let everyone know not just you that what she said did not offended me, my question was just if anyone else has heard of people doing this???

i was more dumb founded by what she said.

So this is the first time in your entire life you have witnessed this kind of stupidity? Lucky!

Old 03-15-2012, 02:56 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times
Quote:
thank you all yeah i think i will be calling the doctor to say something, i mean i understand that people think what they think ( i am guilty of doing it too), hearing a name and thinking it would go to a different race but i would never in my life ever say anything to the child or there parents.
You have to be kidding? You named your child with a name that makes her sound as if she is from Africa and then you have the nerve to try to get someone into trouble for commenting on it!

And shame on the rest of you so called wanta be do gooders on here!!!!

Old 03-15-2012, 03:03 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,235,972 times
Quote:
well i think you miss understood me then becuase i was just asking because i believe that people need to check what they say in there head before it come out of there mouth!

there is absoluely nothing wrong with being another races, some people just need to not be so rude, and do what there parents should have told them and think about what they have to say and if they have nothing nice to say (about a 5 year olds name) then dont say anything at all, i would be more understanding if it was coming from a child but from a lady that is in her 20 or 30 i dont understand it.

sorry about the way you took my post
No. she didn't misunderstand a thing you said! You posted this to stir up trouble and you are on your way!!!

You are the rude person along with those telling you to report the nurse.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:18 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,939 times
Funny story that happened just today! We had a new girl start and we weren't sure how to pronounce her first name, her last name looked Japanese. Who shows up but a tall eastern European girl. The first thing she said was "Bet you were expecting a Japanese girl huh?"

Old 03-15-2012, 10:17 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
Quote:
I dont know if this has happened to anyone else.
my daughter and I were at the doctors office the other day when the nurse called my daughters name, and when we got up she had made a comment that my daughters name didnt match what race she was thinking she would be?!? This is not the first time i have heard this, has anyone else ever heard this??

by the way my daughters name is Anaya and we are white.

She is right. Anaya is typically a black girls name. Or at least i met 3 of them while living in Memphis.
Once at work, I borrowed my black coworkers name tag. A black customer looked at me and the name tag and asked me how i pronounce it. I said "JaMishia" hahaha....she did not know what to say. That was so funny.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 03-15-2012 at 10:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting