Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:30 AM

249 posts, read 803,705 times

Advertisements

to 90sman
Just my opinion, but 14 is too young to be discussing your belly button on Facebook. Yes, it's an old fashioned thought. But, at that age if someone is starting self-mulilation, I would worry about what comes next. Who will see this new body adornment? 14 year old boys??? Will she start posting photos on the internet? Those would be visible to warped people a lot older than 14.

We need some posts from parents of 14 year old boys. That will show you what 'people' really think about this young girl. If she changes her mind, the piercing will (hopefully) heal. But the negative social effects of deeds are sometimes permanent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 10:53 AM

970 posts, read 2,214,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Nope. Ear piering, fine. Nose piericing, ok.

Belly button piercing is different IMO because, as one poster put it, it has the potential to draw sexual attention.

No, belllies aren't sexual per se, but it is a part of the body that remains covered up in school, church and almost everywhere but the beach. In order to display it, the teen is likely taking off clothes/uncovering which is provocative. No need to uncover anything with earrings.

That is where the line is drawn for me.

I would have the same objection to a tramp stamp.

I don't agree completely with you but this is definitely the best post saying "no" with a good explanation.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:08 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
A good friend of mine's 14 year old sister is getting her belly button pierced next weekend. She even wrote on her Facebook "can't wait to get my belly button pierced". I'm surprised her mother is even letting her do this because she always seemed to be very conservative and strict with her children.

Personally, I think she is far too young to be getting something like this done. I don't have children yet but if my 14 year old daughter asked me if she could get her belly button pierced, I would flat out tell her that she would have to wait until she's 18. I also feel like her mother is being irresponsible for permitting her 14 year old to get her belly pierced.
It would not happen in my house.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:33 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumntimetwo View Post
Because you are already 'numb' to what is good taste or trashy. I would say you have tats or piercings or your children do. Sad. It is NOT what people with good self-esteem do, to themselves.
All of the men in my family who served in the U.S. Armed Forces have tats. They reflect their service to our country and what they did.

Dang. If the Cardinals had won the Superbowl a couple of years ago I was going to get a tat. A cool Cardinals logo with "13 to 11" written over the top. And my self esteem is great. (Some would argue too great, lol.)

Old 11-28-2011, 11:35 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
MY daughter wouldn't be getting her belly button pierced; but then I have a very good relationship with my dd and lead by example, so she has absolutely no interest in piercings, tattoos, etc.
Is the implication here that those of us who have tattoos and body piercings are leading by bad example?

Old 11-28-2011, 11:37 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,232,740 times
No, for the fact another poster mentioned how it would bring negative and unwanted male attention. Thankfully, my daughter doesn't even want her ears pierced, so the belly button isn't an issue.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:47 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,197,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post
No, for the fact another poster mentioned how it would bring negative and unwanted male attention. Thankfully, my daughter doesn't even want her ears pierced, so the belly button isn't an issue.
If the attention really IS unwanted, then perhaps not exposing your belly is not a bad choice.

Old 11-28-2011, 11:58 AM

2,540 posts, read 6,232,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
If the attention really IS unwanted, then perhaps not exposing your belly is not a bad choice.
I agree! My dd has no desire to expose her belly and doesn't like to call attention to herself. This is one less thing I have to say no to her about, because I doubt she'll ever ask for this while she's underage.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:10 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,720,278 times
I appreciate the posts about possible infection. The next time my daughter says, "Belly rings are kind of cute," which she does once or twice a year, I can show her some pictures of infections or post-infection scars. I didn't think they were that big a deal.

Old 11-28-2011, 12:22 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,959,629 times
Default totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by passwithoutatrace View Post
It sounds like you are opposed to piercings and tattoos in general, regardless of who is getting them. I don't believe there is a correlation between piercings and the destruction of society since many cultures have successfully lasted thousands of years even while practicing the terrible act of piercing.

I wouldn't know anything about drug use since I am completely opposed to it and don't associate with drug users.

You are correct that I have a small tattoo. I also have pierced ears, like the vast majority of women and girls.
The attitude of the person to whom you were replying, is the reason there is so much tension between people. Being so judgmental and absolute in a post makes me totally disregard anything they say. Piercings and tats are so much more common and accepted among young people today, that poster just needs to get over himself. There are those who have been saying that the destruction of society has been upon us for eons.

BTW I am a 60 something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting