Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 02:24 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You're all crowd followers. I want my kids to have some self-control when it comes to all the new fads. First I will tell them "No, no one living in my house, under my roof will be pierced", and then they get the lecture about following every fad, just doing everything because everyone else is doing it and how they need to have a mind of their own. The fact is, kids only want to endure the pain of being pierced because everyone else is doing it. It's not anything any of them thought up themselves.
I can't tell if you are being facetious. Urging a kid to have a mind of her own and not follow the crowd, yet do exactly what you tell her to do, is a confusing and contradictory message. If you are joking and I am just not seeing that, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 02:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioChic View Post
Lol so then how did it start? Sure SOME people may do it because everyone else is doing it but surely not ALL. My ears were pierced as a baby so I cant say anything about that but as for tatoos I got them because they MEAN something to me. I got SERENITY on my stomach to honor the baby I miscarried. I have a heart with thorns wrapped around it to signify the pain ive been through. I got a black rose to signify the break up of my first boyfriend (dying love) Those deff werent because everyone else were getting them.
You seriously don't believe you are the first person in the world to load yourself up with tattoos and piercings? The fad has been around for years already, there is nothing unique about being just another woman with a lot of tattoos. Be real at least.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I can't tell if you are being facetious. Urging a kid to have a mind of her own and not follow the crowd, yet do exactly what you tell her to do, is a confusing and contradictory message. If you are joking and I am just not seeing that, sorry.
Nope -- and that's one reason I would not allow a 14 year old girl or boy to do any permanent mutilation on their bodies. They are only doing it because they saw someone else doing it, they may become completely different people when they are 21, or 30.

They can color their hair, they can shave their heads for all I care, but nothing that permanently scars them for some passing fad or crowd following at age 14.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:35 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,679,789 times
Quote:
You seriously don't believe you are the first person in the world to load yourself up with tattoos and piercings? The fad has been around for years already, there is nothing unique about being just another woman with a lot of tattoos. Be real at least.

I didnt do it to look "cool". All my tattoos are in places that cant be seen while im wearing clothes. I got them because they MEAN something to me. SMH. And I wouldnt say I have ALOT of tattoos.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:39 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Quote:
Nope -- and that's one reason I would not allow a 14 year old girl or boy to do any permanent mutilation on their bodies. They are only doing it because they saw someone else doing it, they may become completely different people when they are 21, or 30.

They can color their hair, they can shave their heads for all I care, but nothing that permanently scars them for some passing fad or crowd following at age 14.
I saw earlier that you used the words "No one living in this house will be pierced" or something similar. What would you do if your daughter came home from a friend's house with a pierced belly button? You didn't allow it--it happened without your consent, but it happened. Now what? Kick her out at 14? Make her remove the jewelry and hope she doesn't put it back in? In any case, the deed is done and she is pierced. Mutilated, as you say. Do you make good on your threat?

Old 11-28-2011, 02:40 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Yes -- and a girl of 14 needs to realize that there is nothing - no piercing, no tattoo that will make her cute if she isn't. And beauty really is more than skin deep or pierced skin deep.

Self confidence is KEY.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:41 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,488,125 times
It's one thing to say 14 is too young for something permanent as a tattoo. I actually agree with you there. But to call adults "crowd followers" because of their own personal choices is pretty rude and judgmental, imo. Some people actually chose to get a piercing or a tattoo because it's what THEY wanted, not because of anybody else, and most of us here are old enough for our parents and peers opinions not to matter much. And btw, tattoos have been around forever, so I hardly see how that is a "passing fad."

I would not allow my dd to get any tattoos, or piercings other than ears, as long as she is a minor. However, when she turns 18, I hope she makes a well informed decision on what she wants to do, whatever it is, and not because she was brainwashed.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
I want my kids to have some self-control when it comes to all the new fads. First I will tell them "No, no one living in my house, under my roof will be pierced", and then they get the lecture about following every fad, just doing everything because everyone else is doing it and how they need to have a mind of their own.
And this attitude, ladies and gentlemen, is EXACTLY why hippies rebelled in the 1960's. Because they wanted to have a mind of their own and their parents were telling them self-control was the end-all to happiness and should be honored above self-expression.

Just in case you've always wondered.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:50 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
The fact that someone else has done it before does not mean that crowd following is a REASON for doing it. How is it any more or less fad-ish than earrings, finger rings, necklaces? Hoodie sweaters. WWJD gear....

I used a navel ring as the reward for meeting my weight loss goals. So long as my belly was too yucky to adorn, I didn't. (My toes are really ugly. Never wear tow rings.) When I am a place where it is inappropriate to expose my belly, it is hidden. When somewhere where it is appropriate, it is decoration, just like earrings, necklace...

I am not sure where you are leaping to "a lot of" or "loaded up with". I have one tattoo of significance for me. I have a teeny nose stud and navel ring. Hardly "loaded up with". I think the OP was talking about ONE piercing.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
You're all crowd followers. I want my kids to have some self-control when it comes to all the new fads. First I will tell them "No, no one living in my house, under my roof will be pierced", and then they get the lecture about following every fad, just doing everything because everyone else is doing it and how they need to have a mind of their own. The fact is, kids only want to endure the pain of being pierced because everyone else is doing it. It's not anything any of them thought up themselves.
so you've never followed a fad? Bell bottoms? Miniskirts? legwarmers? grunge? nothing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting