Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:16 PM

574 posts, read 1,066,673 times

Advertisements

FYI..I don't remind my son about work because I don't involve myself with that or school. I have no idea what his work schedule is, only that he is still working. I don't involve myself in what is happening with his school work or classes, but he is still going to school. He has never been left on his own overnight, ever or had to take care of living things for 24 hours let alone 72. I don't have one or two dogs, I have four plus a lizard. It's a lot of work for me and I have been doing it forever. In the past, our animals would either be in a kennel and my son stayed with a friend or we all left and had someone stay at our home with the animals. Since it is a last minute decision, we are having trouble finding a reservation for the days we want which is our 20th so the whole thing may not be an issue at all, for now. I have let go plenty, but living creatures are a big responsibility and judging by how he never remembers to feed his lizard or think it is important to feed him daily, I worry for my dogs. Is this wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 06:38 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,986,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbekity View Post
FYI..I don't remind my son about work because I don't involve myself with that or school. I have no idea what his work schedule is, only that he is still working. I don't involve myself in what is happening with his school work or classes, but he is still going to school. He has never been left on his own overnight, ever or had to take care of living things for 24 hours let alone 72. I don't have one or two dogs, I have four plus a lizard. It's a lot of work for me and I have been doing it forever. In the past, our animals would either be in a kennel and my son stayed with a friend or we all left and had someone stay at our home with the animals. Since it is a last minute decision, we are having trouble finding a reservation for the days we want which is our 20th so the whole thing may not be an issue at all, for now. I have let go plenty, but living creatures are a big responsibility and judging by how he never remembers to feed his lizard or think it is important to feed him daily, I worry for my dogs. Is this wrong?
Just hire someone to stop by and feed them and everything.
Not someone to watch your son but just someone to take care of the pets a few times a day.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Just hire someone to stop by and feed them and everything.
Not someone to watch your son but just someone to take care of the pets a few times a day.
Thanks. Wouldn't hire someone for my son, lol! I'm not even sure if being alone at night for two nights is something he would really like once it happens. Always been a little nervous about break in's even though we have always lived in great and safe areas. Hopefully that has changed.

Old 10-06-2011, 06:51 AM

17,476 posts, read 16,664,864 times
Quote:
No it isn't wrong - I think I'd hire someone, too! It sounds as though your son's work and school schedules could make it very difficult for him to stay on top of things with the animals.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:00 AM

Last night was a great example. Was at school all day and then a 6 hours shift at work. Came home late. I had to take two of the dogs out around 4 am. They scratch on the bedroom door to let me know. He would never hear this. Went downstairs to our dinner leftovers left out, a bowl of cereal without the milk and the front door left unlocked.
Just have to share a cute thing one of my dogs does now. She crawls in under the covers and then turns around laying beside me with her head on my pillow, covers over her. Pretty cute to wake up to that

Old 10-06-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Last night was a great example. Was at school all day and then a 6 hours shift at work. Came home late. I had to take two of the dogs out around 4 am. They scratch on the bedroom door to let me know. He would never hear this. Went downstairs to our dinner leftovers left out, a bowl of cereal without the milk and the front door left unlocked.
Just have to share a cute thing one of my dogs does now. She crawls in under the covers and then turns around laying beside me with her head on my pillow, covers over her. Pretty cute to wake up to that
Dogs are so cute . They could probably use a little extra TLC from their dog sitter while mommy is away.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:19 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,852,356 times
I agree with others that said that he's old enough to take care of himself (at least minimally), look after the house while you're away and stay out of trouble. Good luck.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:24 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,220,198 times
Quote:
Not wanting the dogs to starve is not wrong. Now I am not trying to be mean. But in my opinion, that your EIGHTEEN year old son cannot be alone for three days is a problem. That he does not feed the lizard is a problem. If it is HIS lizard, then let it be HIS. You are enabling his "forgetfulness". At eighteen, he can learn habits, routines and procedures if he wants a lizard. And this is a SERVICE to him.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:27 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,045,835 times
One Idea I use with my ADHD Son(15). I send him Meeting notices to his Email account on GMAIL. Works like alarms on his smartphone, At 'noon' he will get a Alarm/Text from his Goggle Mail account to 'Remind' him to take his Noon Meds. When he need to be somewhere at a certain time I send a meeting notice to his phone X min before he need to be there/do something. He now send himself meeting (And me) notices to 'remind' himself.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:39 AM

I might be wrong, but I think the OP may anxious about leaving her animals home alone with a very busy young man who doesn't have the time nor the desire to cater to them like she does.

He'll probably remember to dump some food into their bowls and he will probably send them outside - but not in the loving, predictable way that they are used to, which has her worried.

If it would ease her mind to hire a special sitter for them, why not hire the sitter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting