Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 09:05 PM
jco jco started this thread

2,121 posts, read 6,450,139 times

Advertisements

Was it right away? After many years? Never? Just wanting to hear other stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 09:09 PM

113 posts, read 770,488 times
I absolutely thought I did not want more kids after my first, but then I married my husband. So, it took 10 years before I started seriously wanting a second child And I really wanted a girl, so... it was worth the wait!

Old 08-14-2007, 09:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
It was so difficult that I didn't think I'd want more than one child. I didn't get the urge to have another until my son turned 4. Around that age, they're more independent so it's easier to imagine having additional children. By the time my husband agreed, our son was 6 and I decided that I didn't want to spend 12 years straight paying for child care. If I had known I would have ended up being a stay-at-home mother once my son went into elementary school, I would have had more children. We'd like to be foster parents once our son goes away to college.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:58 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
Theres 4 1/2yrs between my first and my second, and 3 1/2 yrs between my 2nd and 3rd. I love the age difference!! Gave me plenty of time to enjoy the babyhood and get through the toddler ages. By the time they wanted to be more independent, they kinda needed to be cuz there was a sibling on the way. They each loved helping w/THEIR new baby, and we havent had the MINE MINE MINE toy fights since theyre each in different stages. Even so, with the 8yrs between my oldest and youngest, they still play barbies togeather. We dont have a lot of fighting between them, and my oldest is a terrific help with her younger siblings. Plus, she enjoys more rewards that comes with the extra responsibility. My son is the middle child, but has his own thing going w/being the only boy too. For my family, we couldnt have planned it any better than we did. BTW, the 3rd wasnt really supposed to be. We had thought to stop w/one of each gender. Shes our "bonus baby" and we'd die w/o her.
Tiffany

Old 08-14-2007, 11:53 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Our first son and second son are 3 1/2 years apart. That is a good spead. They are not too far apart in age and not too close in age. We have not had problems with fighting or sibling rivalry. My second son and third sons are 2 1/2 yrs. apart and that was harder being a little closer in age. I had 2 in diapers and that was not fun. They fought a little more. Our daughter was born when my youngest son was 10. She adores her brothers but has no one her age around and that is a little hard for her I think, despite the fact her brothers are very good with her.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:13 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
We took our time having children ; we were married for 10 years before we had our first. But we also have no family here so we decided if we had one child, we would have another very soon after.
There is 17 months between our boys. The first year with both was horrendous. It has gotten so much better now that they are 7 & 8. Our oldest does not remember being an only child. Our youngest looks up to his brother (most of the time anyhow)
d

Old 08-15-2007, 08:27 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
My rule, the first one has to be out of diapers before you can give birth to the second one. Mine are 4 years apart approximately. No way I wanted to be wiping 2 butts.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:52 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
If I hadn't re-married I would have only had the one child

Old 08-15-2007, 10:45 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,494 times
I think I was thinking about it before I even left the hospital with my first...14 months later, my second. Then, after I remarried, 10 1/2 years later, had my 3rd, all boys up to this point, and finally, 23 months after my third, my girl....#5, who knows? Jeannie

Old 08-15-2007, 11:11 PM

420 posts, read 2,199,097 times
My son is 7 months old now, Paulie as we call him. And...my wife is 5 months pregnant so let's see...it took about a month and a half to realize we wanted another, and a couple weeks or so after that to get the job done. I'm hoping for another boy, she's undecided. Something tells me this second one won't be our last either. I'll guess we'll shoot for about 5, depending on whether or not twins come up. Both sides of the family have twins on multiple generations so it's likely. In all, I'm hoping for 4 boys and a girl. Get that really nice protective older brother thing going on haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting