Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 05:48 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,283,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
It is a rude awakening when the same kid, whose behavior you were so proud of, starts acting out or making what seem to be ill-informed decisions . . .
Usually that's the sign that something else is going on. Anything changed in his life? Drugs? Depression? Death of a friend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 05:49 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,107,188 times
You can hope that bad decisions are just life lessons without permanent effects. We all make mistakes growing up. At the time, they seem to be huge. Looking back, they often weren't. Also hope that they learn from their mistakes.

My dad, in the days just before he died, told me that the hardest thing he ever had to do was stand by and let me learn certain things the hard way. But that's the privlege of being a child, and the burden of being a parent.

At a very low point in my life, when the world seemed to be crashing in on me with no hope of escape, a pastor told me of something he learned in seminary. He said, "There's a mirror in your bathroom, and that's probably where you first face yourself in the morning in anticipation of what the day may bring. I want you to take the bar of soap, and write in big letters across it - A.F.G.E." I asked what it meant. He replied, "Another F**king Growth Experience."

I got through that time and learned from it. A wise man, he was!

Old 07-17-2011, 05:55 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,955,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncethelight View Post
It's probably just good old fashion rebellion - and that's a healthy thing!

You may have taught then to have certain values, but once they reach 18 they get to make their own choices - and no one leaves the nest with the exact same values as their parents. I was always a good kid, but I make very different decisions than my parents would - and we're still close and still love each other.
So I am assuming your core values must be similar? Can you give any examples?

Old 07-17-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
You can hope that bad decisions are just life lessons without permanent effects. We all make mistakes growing up. At the time, they seem to be huge. Looking back, they often weren't. Also hope that they learn from their mistakes.

My dad, in the days just before he died, told me that the hardest thing he ever had to do was stand by and let me learn certain things the hard way. But that's the privlege of being a child, and the burden of being a parent.

At a very low point in my life, when the world seemed to be crashing in on me with no hope of escape, a pastor told me of something he learned in seminary. He said, "There's a mirror in your bathroom, and that's probably where you first face yourself in the morning in anticipation of what the day may bring. I want you to take the bar of soap, and write in big letters across it - A.F.G.E." I asked what it meant. He replied, "Another F**king Growth Experience."

I got through that time and learned from it. A wise man, he was!
Thanks for sharing that. It sounds like in your difficult time, you still had good support and it seemed to have made quite an impact. I can only pray that the person I am concerned about also has good guidance.

So wise your father was . . . and wise you are to know that is a parent's burden and the child's privilege.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Usually that's the sign that something else is going on. Anything changed in his life? Drugs? Depression? Death of a friend?
I don't know exactly what is going on.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,283,701 times
Quote:
I don't know exactly what is going on.
Now you have to do the REALLY hard work and find out. They don't change for no reason. No one does. I hope you have the kind of relationship where you can talk because now is the time.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Now you have to do the REALLY hard work and find out. They don't change for no reason. No one does. I hope you have the kind of relationship where you can talk because now is the time.
Nope. Can't do it. Not my job. Hopefully someone will.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:08 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,609,633 times
Quote:
Nope. Can't do it. Not my job. Hopefully someone will.
?

What degree of disappointment are we talking about to write off your 18 year old?

You have been very vague; but I'm guessing it must have been a GREAT transgression.

Yes, my teen-ager has disappointed me many times - but not to the extent that I would talk to him or maintain the lines of communication.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:51 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,854,420 times
Quote:
Not one response!

I guess no one else is disappointed with their teens!

I'm not very disappointed with my teens, my kids are actually on the boring side I think as far as doing much that is wild.

It all depends on what it is that's disappointing you, were your expectations too high?

For example, kids will not always listen when it comes to school and studying and might just shrug off bad grades or have few ambitions at age 16 or 17.

They might not help around the house like you think they should. Or they may lose interest in going to church with the parents. They may use language you don't like at least behind your back.

But you don't own your kids' lives. You can only guide them but at some point they have to grow up and start making decisions of their own, some decisions you might not like at all, like if they have $300 instead of saving it for college, they buy a game player. Or they get a job that pays them a little and they have to buy a cell phone you wouldn't buy.

But if it's serious problems like drugs - there is still not a lot you can do about their decisions to mess up.

They are their own people.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:03 PM

I am honestly surprised that on a forum with so many readers, there are so few people who are honestly disappointed with their teens.

There are a lot of acting out teens, so their parents must not be the type to read forums. Maybe the parents are drinking to cope or something!

I am happy for people who do not have these problems but it sure is lonely being the only person on the planet disappointed over a teen's choices.

Thank you for responding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting