Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 11:03 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,010,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
hhhhmmm that doesn't sound right. Maybe he will have a growth spurt soon and thin out. what you wrote is fairly similar to what my kids eat. My almost 6 yo is 49 lbs.
Yah, he's just huge....actually got tested for gigantism but it came back negative. Hoping he slows down eventually....he's already in size 5 clothes and size 12 shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 11:18 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,636,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
So you're a vegetarian and you want us to feed our kids bacon......

But I grew up eating regular bacon. Use to like fried bolonge too.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:20 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,733,139 times
Quote:
Ingredients

Water, soy protein isolate, wheat gluten, soybean oil, texured soy protein concentrate, textured wheat gluten, less than 2% of: natural smoke flavor, natural flavor (from vegetable sources), grill flavor (from sunflower oil), carrageenan, evaporated cane juice, paprika oleoresin (for flavor and color), potassium chloride, sesame oil, fermented rice flour, tapioca dextrin, citric acid, salt.

: shudder :

Old 06-28-2011, 11:29 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,636,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I wrote that. What in the world is a vegetarian doing at Taco Bell? Do they have anything you can eat?

I think you and I can agree on a few points:
  • Growing kids need plenty of healthy food. My husband, for instance, was tall and skinny and vividly remembers being hungry all the time as a teenager. There wasn't much to eat in the house.
  • Wholesome, home-cooked food is healthier than store-bought, processed food. Cookies that I bake myself with simple ingredients are better than anything made by Keebler elves or Nabisco.
However, we disagree on a few other things:
  • There's nothing wrong with fruit and raw vegetables as a snack or part of a meal.
  • Healthy meals do not have to be cooked.
  • People certainly do not need to cook three meals a day to be "good parents."
  • The number of calories that a person consumes should match his or her physical activity. It is not necessary to pack food into children who do not want it or have weight issues.
  • No matter what, nutrition is important. Biscuits and gravy for breakfast every day is UNHEALTHY, even if you burn off all the calories.
  • Eating late at night is not good for you. Taco Bell's "fourthmeal" is for stoners and college kids.
I believe that fat people or who have weight issues especially need to eat plenty of food and be active, just more strict diet on what the food is. I believe that biscuits and gravy can be healthy to eat every morning. I have a friend whose a stoner and likes the fourth meal because he drinks and smokes his butt off then realizes he's hungry but I can eat it with him any night. I remember when I was 18 I would eat the whole kitchen even today I'm like a garbage disposal. No pizza crust goes un-eaten. I know how to starve to but given the option of a household who cooks all the time and one which doesn't, I'll take the one that does. Many people will be better fed in prison than at home.

This is what vegetarians get at taco bell:

bean burritos
potato and sourcream
1/2 lb cheesey bean and rice
7 layer
tostada
chalupa with beans
nacho salad with beans

Old 06-28-2011, 11:46 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,188,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I believe that biscuits and gravy can be healthy to eat every morning.

Biscuits and gravy consist of white flour, a little milk, butter or shortening and a whole lot more white flour. They are delicious but not healthy at all. White flour is a refined carb which is basically sugar. It's almost like eating doughnuts for breakfast.

I agree that children need to eat healthy foods when they are hungry but three home cooked meals does not necessarily mean 3 healthy meals.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:48 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,808,010 times
Quote:
I believe that fat people or who have weight issues especially need to eat plenty of food and be active, just more strict diet on what the food is. I believe that biscuits and gravy can be healthy to eat every morning. I have a friend whose a stoner and likes the fourth meal because he drinks and smokes his butt off then realizes he's hungry but I can eat it with him any night. I remember when I was 18 I would eat the whole kitchen even today I'm like a garbage disposal. No pizza crust goes un-eaten. I know how to starve to but given the option of a household who cooks all the time and one which doesn't, I'll take the one that does. Many people will be better fed in prison than at home.

bean burritos
potato and sourcream
7 layer
tostada
chalupa with beans
nacho salad with beans
None of that is healthy...not even close.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:49 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,811,264 times
Quote:

bean burritos
potato and sourcream
7 layer
tostada
chalupa with beans
nacho salad with beans
Every single one of those items comes with cheese, which is dairy, which comes from a cow, thereby making it NOT vegetarian. Therefore, you are wrong.

Edited to add: Cheesy bean and rice contains egg, which is poultry, which is NON vegetarian.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:50 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,200,913 times
http://www.amazon.com/Nutrition-Dumm.../dp/0764551809

Nutrition for Dummies.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,830,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Every single one of those items comes with cheese, which is dairy, which comes from a cow, thereby making it NOT vegetarian. Therefore, you are wrong.

You are thinking of a vegan.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:55 AM

89 posts, read 175,207 times
we always eat homemade meals, but I never thought they can be such a hassle for others?

I have 1 day / week reserved for cooking. I make 2 types of soup - first dish and 2 types of whatever second dishes we want that week.

For breakfast, some eggs + bacon or some warm milk + a sandwich really wouldn't kill anyone to make.

At least that's what I thought, until I stumbled upon this thread.

I don't cook because I race for Mum of the Year or something. I'm such a fussy eater - and I also briefly worked in a restaurant when I was a student - that I just prefer eating stuff that I cook myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting