Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2011, 07:12 AM

1,302 posts, read 1,813,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ina.Click View Post
Short responses:

yes, the cooking = cool stuff probably is an eastern european thing. At least I hope so.
we had a short period, after revolution, when we embraced precooked meals and fast foods as being cool, great, capitalist values. Then we got fat and started getting more and more kids with diabetes.
Now, we're slowly switching back towards home cooked meals, but not related to family values or whatever, but mostly to healthy food and healthy cooking.

I've read the whole thread!
Yes, it is correct, a meal does not need to be warm in order to be healthy. Even breakfast. Tea + whole bread (or however its actually called ) + cheese + some fruits = good breakfast for me . Even if it's cold.

washing the pans = I don't wash them either in the morning. I leave them in the sink for my husband.

waking up few hours earlier: I don't do that either, and therefore my husband cooks his own breakfast if he wakes up earlier. However for a kid I would wake up , yes.

The real thing that surprised me is that many who replied were just as radical and absurd as the OP. (sorry OP.) Yes, the OP said quite a silly thing. But so is boasting and bragging with the fact that you deliberately offer crap food to your family, or none.

If you don';t have time or money (in here its actually more expensive to cook something then to order it) its ok, I doubt anyone would blame. And if they would, that would be wrong. But bragging about it? "I escaped from the Tyrany of the Cooking Pan!I'm a free woman / man" is slightly ridiculous too.

Cooking is not slavery or some residual from a misogynistic society. BOTH partners can and should cook in the family. For me, it's simply a way to make sure that what we eat is better , healthier and tastier.
I certainly can't speak for everyone but none of this would work in my case.

I didn't have a husband. I got both the boys out the door at 6:40 am every morning. Cereal, fruit and yogurt it was. Maybe once in a while some frozen waffles. I simply did not have the time to make a full course breakfast and clean the dishes from it in the morning.

They either packed their lunches or bought lunch at school.

Most nights I made dinner, a lot of times it was cooked in the crockpot all day. And yes, once in a while the drive thru or pizza was our friend.

They are both healthy, large strong men so I think we made it through okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 07:15 AM

13,761 posts, read 10,125,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
Yes yes I do...I am proud of it. He is gay and loves his murses. Now he has gone vegan so he must hand them down to me his favorite neice. Vegans don't do leather and I am a PETA--people eat tasty animals so he must give them to me. Thank you City Data for being so insightful and helpful!

Who knew one OP moaning about three meals a day lead to me possibly getting a treasure trove of lovely goodies!

BTW I make three meals a day and yes one includes cold cereal sometimes.
Wow that's awesome. Does he have any shoes?

Old 06-29-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Short responses:

yes, the cooking = cool stuff probably is an eastern european thing. At least I hope so.
we had a short period, after revolution, when we embraced precooked meals and fast foods as being cool, great, capitalist values. Then we got fat and started getting more and more kids with diabetes.
Now, we're slowly switching back towards home cooked meals, but not related to family values or whatever, but mostly to healthy food and healthy cooking.

I've read the whole thread!
Yes, it is correct, a meal does not need to be warm in order to be healthy. Even breakfast. Tea + whole bread (or however its actually called ) + cheese + some fruits = good breakfast for me . Even if it's cold.

washing the pans = I don't wash them either in the morning. I leave them in the sink for my husband.

waking up few hours earlier: I don't do that either, and therefore my husband cooks his own breakfast if he wakes up earlier. However for a kid I would wake up , yes.

The real thing that surprised me is that many who replied were just as radical and absurd as the OP. (sorry OP.) Yes, the OP said quite a silly thing. But so is boasting and bragging with the fact that you deliberately offer crap food to your family, or none.

If you don';t have time or money (in here its actually more expensive to cook something then to order it) its ok, I doubt anyone would blame. And if they would, that would be wrong. But bragging about it? "I escaped from the Tyrany of the Cooking Pan!I'm a free woman / man" is slightly ridiculous too.

Cooking is not slavery or some residual from a misogynistic society. BOTH partners can and should cook in the family. For me, it's simply a way to make sure that what we eat is better , healthier and tastier.
Oh goodness, what a terrible picture you must have of all the lazy people freed from the tyranny of their pans. Ina, I think maybe the sarcasm didn't translate too well. As Julia said, we were joking.

I think the balance between being busy and getting nutritious food to the family is an issue for everybody, and everybody sorts it out the best they can. But you don't need to worry, there are few people around here that would deliberately feed crap food to their snowflakes. That's why the OP came over as a tad absurd.

Well that, and the whole fourthmeal thing.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:25 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,765,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMassachusetts View Post
I certainly can't speak for everyone but none of this would work in my case.

I didn't have a husband. I got both the boys out the door at 6:40 am every morning. Cereal, fruit and yogurt it was. Maybe once in a while some frozen waffles. I simply did not have the time to make a full course breakfast and clean the dishes from it in the morning.

They either packed their lunches or bought lunch at school.

Most nights I made dinner, a lot of times it was cooked in the crockpot all day. And yes, once in a while the drive thru or pizza was our friend.

They are both healthy, large strong men so I think we made it through okay.
And its true what works for one doesn't neccessarily work for another. We have a very tight budget in this house for groceries which requires a lot of coupon cutting and saving. While I may cook one or two hot meals a day, I certainly can't always do three. Cold cereal, yoghurt and fruit sounds like a sensible start to the morning. It is not bad parenting if you are doing your best to provide three meals a day hot or cold for your child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Wow that's awesome. Does he have any shoes?
I know he does....I have been waiting for his fb reply so far he is keeping mum. Maybe he isn't ready to join the dark side of being Vegan. I will let you know FR!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOriginalMrsX View Post
I know he does....I have been waiting for his fb reply so far he is keeping mum. Maybe he isn't ready to join the dark side of being Vegan. I will let you know FR!
Excellent! Let's hope he doesn't decide it's not worth giving up the Coach, and sticks to his plan.

Oh, and don't feed your kids crap! Mmmmkay.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:44 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,228,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
And its not only parenting but for the husband to. When my grandfather comes home, he doesn't need asked if he's hungry, it should be assumed he is hungry and the hot plate should be coming. For him to do his duties he needs food, just like a Ferrari needs premium fuel and a pop-star needs a choreographer. Why do we try to take the quick easy half-ass way out of life? Is it worth it at the end?
Okay, now you're just throwing "T-word" bait.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:12 AM

89 posts, read 175,666 times
Well my honest apologies then, I indeed did not get the joke

Now I do I've read the thread once again!

Regarding the "Hot" meal - I, too, believe that food can be as nutritious both cold and warm. Depends whatever aliments you choose. Sometimes a cold glass of milk is better than a hot hamburger.

Edit: and to explain why I considered the statement absurd: well, because I can't see parenthood defined by whatever you make your children eat. It's a much more complex concept than that. There are parents that cook everything and yet treat their children badly or neglect them. Should that bowl of chicken soup erase all their mistakes?
Also, there are parents who simply cannot deliver proper nutrition to their children. By "can't" I don't mean "I'd rather watch Dexter". I am thinking of families that live in poverty.

Last edited by Ina.Click; 06-29-2011 at 10:21 AM..

Old 06-29-2011, 10:28 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,863,367 times
Quote:
Well my honest apologies then, I indeed did not get the joke

Now I do I've read the thread once again!

Regarding the "Hot" meal - I, too, believe that food can be as nutritious both cold and warm. Depends whatever aliments you choose. Sometimes a cold glass of milk is better than a hot hamburger.

Edit: and to explain why I considered the statement absurd: well, because I can't see parenthood defined by whatever you make your children eat. It's a much more complex concept than that. There are parents that cook everything and yet treat their children badly or neglect them. Should that bowl of chicken soup erase all their mistakes?
Also, there are parents who simply cannot deliver proper nutrition to their children. By "can't" I don't mean "I'd rather watch Dexter". I am thinking of families that live in poverty.
I really think the OP would have gotten much nicer responses if he didn't come in and right off the bat call everyone who doesn't cook 3 meals per day bad parents. He pretty much called everyone who visits this site a bad parent. That will cause people to get defensive. If he had come in and asked "Do you think that children are healthier when they get 3 home cooked meals per day than children who don't?", he probably would have gotten many of the same answers, but they would have been written much nicer.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:32 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,916,029 times
Moist dry dog food and vitamin supplements for my kids. Amazing how much extra time Mom and I have.

I love piling on. LMAO

Old 06-29-2011, 11:26 AM

841 posts, read 4,852,283 times
Cereal is definitely a breakfast must have in my house. That's just the way it is. One son loves cereal, the other eats waffles or pancakes. Why would you care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting