Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 01:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,466,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Then don't expect ur kids to cook u anything when ur old and disabled. They will remember. I assume u feed them fine but I'm talking about parents who take the easy way out and don't care. The children will remember this forever.
My parents fed me Sugar Smacks and Frosted Flakes and Cheerios with brown sugar. (Yummy!)

I took care of them and cooked for them when they were old and disabled.

Next theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 01:17 PM

1,302 posts, read 1,815,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My parents fed me Sugar Smacks and Frosted Flakes and Cheerios with brown sugar. (Yummy!)

I took care of them and cooked for them when they were old and disabled.

Next theory.
My mother went on a Tofu kick for a while that I will never forgive her for.

I cleaned every ounce of vomit and cared for all her needs while she was dying.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:18 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,388,502 times
Quote:
I'm sure u try hard I simply don't want the standards to keep lowering. Snacks in the cupboard aren't typically good, that sounds like junkfood to me. We wouldn't need a snack or junkfood cabinet if we ate 3 sound meals a day that satisfied us. In India my grandmother fed a house of 18 people single handedly and she didn't complain. Now that she's old she never cooks because roles change. In traditional America families still know how to use their dinner table but the baby-boomers onward cultural values seem to be slipping, but quality of food should never slip. Many prescriptions and diseases could be put out of business with a proper eating habits and plenty of food. Instead we spend out money on drugs and junk.
we have carrot sticks, cheese sticks, yogurt, fruit, all healthy snacks. It is also healthier to eat several small meals, than it is to eat 3 huge ones. You seriously need to YOU can feed your kids whatever YOU want to. But you need to MYOB and stop making assumptions about the rest of us.

If you had come on here and said that Americans eat too much fast food and are obese because of it, we'd have agreed with you. But to blame it on eating cereal in the morning makes no sense at all. none.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:19 PM

992 posts, read 2,385,347 times
Quote:
Actually I have cooked 3 meals a day for a year. Its not so hard if u have someone to do the dishes.

In a family of 4, the wife can cook, the 2 kids can do cleaning chores like one chore a day each, and the father can wash dishes. It doesn't seem so hard, our problem is with so many disfunctional families and misplayed roles.
Sure. If you want to spend ALL day in the kitchen! Boy that sounds super fun in 100 degree Texas heat. I wanna be over a hot stove for hours! Sign me up!

I cleaned my house every day. For a year. Wasn't so bad. Oh? What? I have to keep doing it? You mean it's an ongoing chore? Well, I didn't know that when I told everyone else what to do. Dang it.

Here are some reasons your fantasy of mama cookin' it up in the kitchen all day and the young uns and Daddy helping out with the dishes:

Homework
Kids in sports
Dad works late
A child is sick
Other chores need to be done
A science project is due tomorrow
The A/C quit working
Kids in activities
Lawn needs to be mowed
Laundry needs to be done
Dog needs walked
Mom needs a frickin' break from cooking!

For the love of Pete...you wouldn't know the first thing about running a household. I've been doing it for 9 years and STILL can't get it all right.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:20 PM

992 posts, read 2,385,347 times
I love how this poster hasn't said a WORD about lack of activity. Diet is not the only contributor of poor health.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:26 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,865,699 times
Quote:
Actually I have cooked 3 meals a day for a year. Its not so hard if u have someone to do the dishes.

In a family of 4, the wife can cook, the 2 kids can do cleaning chores like one chore a day each, and the father can wash dishes. It doesn't seem so hard, our problem is with so many disfunctional families and misplayed roles.
Wow. I was laughing so hard that I had tears in my eyes. If I (the wife) ever tried to cook a meal, our house would probably burn to the ground and we would all end up in the hospital for food poisoning. DD (6 years old) is MUCH better at cooking than I am. DH (the father) does most of the cooking and DD does the rest. I don't wash the dishes either. I contribute to my household in different ways.

What works for one family does not work for another family. Many people grow up with your vision in their heads. Then they grow up and actually have a family of their own and realize that the vision in their head is nowhere near their reality, but that is ok because their reality works better for them.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:26 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,692,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Excuse me, young fellow, but I am a gourmet cook - and I seriously don't need you to lecture me about what to feed my family.

If you haven't already sussed it by now, you have come to the wrong place to lecture ANYBODY about what to feed their family. I would bet everybody here practically has a Master's in nutrition compared to you.

The truth is, kids do not need 3 hot meals a day in order to stay healthy and be loved. It's good to also eat raw vegetables, fruits, and grains.

The other truth is, most of the people who frequent this board are pretty proactive about their kids and what goes into them, so kindly worry about your own self, and let them take care of their own families.

Oh, and the husband knows where the kitchen is, and might actually *gasp* cook his family's quick easy half-assed dinner himself.
They may not need 3 hot meals a day, but it would be nice and make them more healthy. These days anyone who doesn't pop pills or have borderline diabetes or cholesterol is considered "healthy" but most people are deficient in something. Their body has learned to accept less and because of that they demand less and parents, even the knowledgable well-meaning ones don't realize the lack of nourishment we get.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,622,374 times
Quote:
Then don't expect ur kids to cook u anything when ur old and disabled. They will remember. I assume u feed them fine but I'm talking about parents who take the easy way out and don't care. The children will remember this forever. I remember back to age 2.
You're poor parents. I feel sorry for them already.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:32 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,865,699 times
Quote:
They may not need 3 hot meals a day, but it would be nice and make them more healthy. These days anyone who doesn't pop pills or have borderline diabetes or cholesterol is considered "healthy" but most people are deficient in something. Their body has learned to accept less and because of that they demand less and parents, even the knowledgable well-meaning ones don't realize the lack of nourishment we get.
Yes. I agree that a lot of people don't get the nourishment that they need. Do you realize though that the nourishment is actually absorbed in the body better if you eat smaller meals spread out through-out the day? Eating 3 large meals is worse for you than eating 6 small meals.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:35 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,692,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
we have carrot sticks, cheese sticks, yogurt, fruit, all healthy snacks. It is also healthier to eat several small meals, than it is to eat 3 huge ones. You seriously need to YOU can feed your kids whatever YOU want to. But you need to MYOB and stop making assumptions about the rest of us.

If you had come on here and said that Americans eat too much fast food and are obese because of it, we'd have agreed with you. But to blame it on eating cereal in the morning makes no sense at all. none.
I don't talk about fast food and all that because we already know we're the fattest nation, but the solution is more good food at home, not toss the idea of more time spent on food preparation because we 'don't have the time' or 'energy' if that's the case, then u should keep ordering that fries and burger or carrot sticks and celery, but to me that doesn't cut it. Of those several small meals, wouldn't it be nice if 3 of them were cooked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting