Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: puberty?
7 or earlier 3 8.82%
8 2 5.88%
9 5 14.71%
10 10 29.41%
11 6 17.65%
12 9 26.47%
13 1 2.94%
14+ 4 11.76%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 10:52 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You should add asking the weight and height of the children so you can determine if being overweight is what's causing people's children to have early puberty.
I think the real issue with early puberty is all of the hormones in meat, chicken and dairy. We eat organic dairy, natural chicken and beef and my kids are all average to late in entering puberty despite my youngest child's higher than average weight. Many food additives are endocrine disruptors and that is also causing early puberty in children in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 11:13 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I think the real issue with early puberty is all of the hormones in meat, chicken and dairy. We eat organic dairy, natural chicken and beef and my kids are all average to late in entering puberty despite my youngest child's higher than average weight. Many food additives are endocrine disruptors and that is also causing early puberty in children in the US.
Hypocore's experience was the opposite of the hormone theory. Her biggest milk drinker started puberty the latest of all her children.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:34 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:
You should add asking the weight and height of the children so you can determine if being overweight is what's causing people's children to have early puberty.
Height has little to do with the start of puberty, WEIGHT, especially in girls, has a big impact on puberty. Girls need to have enough body fat to store enough estrogen in order to menstruate. Typically when girls reach about 100 lbs is when they start menstruating-on average. A tall, skinny girl actually tends to start puberty later than a shorter, not so skinny girl because of the lack of body fat. Genetics also plays a huge role in this.

In my experience, girls are starting puberty LATER. When I was growing up, ALL of my friends had their periods before 7th grade started (or shortly into 7th grade). DD and several of her friends did not get their periods until 8th grade here. None of the girls 'needed" bras until well into 7th grade-they all wore them because for whatever reason, it's the style. Most of the girls could have gotten by with just a tank top for extra coverage. When I was growing up, we all needed bras by 7th grade.

As for the boys, they are all over the place. Some of the kids' friends had voices changing in 6th grade, shaving mustaches at 12, etc. Most of the boys started shaving mustaches in 8th grade or so. I would say, that about a quarter of DS16's friends shave more than a mustache, maybe. Seniors in our high school probably a little over half have at least some beard to shave. Our oldest is a freshman in college and "behind" on the puberty scale-he only recently started shaving his "face". If he let his "beard" grow out, it would be about 1/2 of his face.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:02 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Height has little to do with the start of puberty, WEIGHT, especially in girls, has a big impact on puberty.
But height determines if a weight qualifies as overweight.

If people simply posted weights, we'd have no idea if their children are overweight without knowing their heights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
In my experience, girls are starting puberty LATER. When I was growing up, ALL of my friends had their periods before 7th grade started (or shortly into 7th grade). DD and several of her friends did not get their periods until 8th grade here. None of the girls 'needed" bras until well into 7th grade-they all wore them because for whatever reason, it's the style. Most of the girls could have gotten by with just a tank top for extra coverage. When I was growing up, we all needed bras by 7th grade.
Perhaps your daughter and her classmates started school later than you and your classmates.

It happens when people move to different regions of the country after marriage.

Different states have different ages for starting school. Sometimes states change the start age at some point in time.

Seems logical that might be something to consider since you're going by grades, not age, for your comparison.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:30 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,826 times
Quote:

If people simply posted weights, we'd have no idea if their children are overweight without knowing their heights.
Exactly. My oldest started her period when she was 10- in the summer between 5th and 6th grade. She was around 100 lbs.. but was also 5'4.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:11 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Quote:

Perhaps your daughter and her classmates started school later than you and your classmates.

It happens when people move to different regions of the country after marriage.

Different states have different ages for starting school. Sometimes states change the start age at some point in time.

Seems logical that might be something to consider since you're going by grades, not age, for your comparison.
No, they started school pretty much the same time as I did-and my classmates did--cutoff here has been Sept 1st since I went off to kindergarten. To put it in ages-by the time my friends and I were 12 1/2, we had our periods, my DD's friends were closer to 14 or over 14 when they started.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times
Unless specific criteria are used, it's hard to pinpoint when puberty begins. I think you can see the emotional signs well before the physical signs.

My kids seem to go through puberty about the same age as myself and siblings did.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:48 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,119,365 times
I'll answer for myself.

That year I underwent a lot of dramatic changes. I had a growth spurt - on my 11th birthday (22 September 1997), I was about 5'0". On my 12th birthday, about 5'6". I was a little bit pudgy before; the thinnest I've ever been after. I was at the 98th percentile in height for a period of time. I'm 5'8 3/4" today - shorter than the median height for an American male, especially a white American male. Peers started complaining about my body odor. I saw the first zits on my forehead around Christmas 1997.

My voice changed the summer after fifth grade, from a high-pitched (but no higher than my peers) voice to an annoying monotone voice that I would have for about the next year, before it deepened again (it's still medium - high pitched in relation to other males' voices). I had my first wet dream (and sleeping over at my aunt's house!), although she didn't see any evidence of it. I grew hair on my armpits towards the end of the summer; I grew hair on my stomach, chest, and legs the next summer. I'm actually quite proud to be an early bloomer

I suppose the hormones might have been secreted during the Spring or Summer of 1997 (thereby making me 10 at the time of the changes), but in 5th grade the changes were really visible, so I'm going to say 11.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:25 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,850,830 times
My DD is hasn't hit this stage yet. Hopefully she won't follow in my footsteps. I was a very early bloomer. I started with the hair and odor at age 6 (1985). I was still sharing a bath with my little sister who pointed it out to me. My mom couldn't believe it. I started my period at age 8 and was fully developed by 9. I was 5'7" and 104 lbs at age 9. I looked the same at age 9 as I did on the day of my wedding at 22. My face was only a bit more mature.

I have a 13 year old nephew who is 5'11" and 165 lbs. He has been shaving for 2 years. We started noticing his odors about 4 years ago. I remember we had to keep reminding him to wear deodorant.
He hasn't gotten his period yet though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting