Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 01:05 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,451,253 times

Advertisements

I often hear people talking about assigning certain responsibilities/chores to children as early as it becomes possible; and I agree.
Few things are more annoying to me than a child who grows up thinking that his role is to just take (be provided with anything he needs) without contributing anything in return.

So what kind of household-related chores/responsibilities would you recommend for a soon to be 6 yo?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 01:19 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,029,293 times
Folding/Matching socks.
Feed pets.
Set table.
Distribute clean wash to correct rooms

Old 04-19-2011, 01:21 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,689,190 times
Your son is older than my kids, but here are some of the things we have our 3.5yo do:
-pick up her toys and other messes she makes (no brainer)
-put dirty clothes in the laundry
-move clothes from the washer to the dryer
-take clothes out of the dryer
-put away eating utensils after they're washed (I give her the basket from the dishwasher and she stands on her step stool and puts them in the right places in the drawer)
-put her clothes away after I fold them
-water plants
-set the table (she does part of this, I do the rest)
-help with cooking (seasoning, stirring, pouring, general prep, etc)

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. My 19 month old helps carry dirty clothes to the washer and helps with loading / unloading as well. She also puts her diapers in the diaper pail, and helps clean up toys, etc. I imagine these chores will stay similar over time, but expand as developmentally appropriate. The kids absolutely love helping out around the house. It's good for everyone IMO.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:12 PM

834 posts, read 2,686,758 times
Help carrying grocery bags (something light they can carry)
clean up table after a meal
wash dishes and/or load dishwasher
take trash out to curb (again, something they can carry and perhaps under supervision)
make their own beds in the morning
sweep floors
sort laundry and start machines

Also..this may not be a chore but important - if they are taking any medication(s) make sure they know the meds by name, color, and dosage.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,227,729 times
Help mom plant flowers and pull weeds. Learn horticulture.
Hand dad tools when he's working on cars. Learn auto repair.
Empty all the trash cans in everyone's bedrooms and the bathroom into the big cans. Put recycles in recycle bin. Learn environmental waste management.
Make bed every morning. Learn how to not get yelled at.
Pick up toys and put away. Learn responsibility because if Dad trips on them they go to Goodwill.
Feed pets. Learn about contracts and fullfilling you part of the bargain when Mom said, "Yes we can get a dog IF..."

Old 04-19-2011, 02:55 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,096,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
I often hear people talking about assigning certain responsibilities/chores to children as early as it becomes possible; and I agree.
Few things are more annoying to me than a child who grows up thinking that his role is to just take (be provided with anything he needs) without contributing anything in return.

So what kind of household-related chores/responsibilities would you recommend for a soon to be 6 yo?

Thanks!

She can sort her own clothes for Laundry..
dust
vacuum if its not heavy,
put non breakable dishes away in the lower cabinets
wash fruits and veggies
set the table
pick her/his mess
There are lots of things a 6 year old can do

I used to make my own eggs when I was 6 my friend and I would push our chairs up to the stove and she had a gas stove and we would make our own eggs..I wouldn't let my girls do that now...

Old 04-19-2011, 02:57 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,096,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Help mom plant flowers and pull weeds. Learn horticulture.
Hand dad tools when he's working on cars. Learn auto repair.
Empty all the trash cans in everyone's bedrooms and the bathroom into the big cans. Put recycles in recycle bin. Learn environmental waste management.
Make bed every morning. Learn how to not get yelled at.
Pick up toys and put away. Learn responsibility because if Dad trips on them they go to Goodwill.
Feed pets. Learn about contracts and fullfilling you part of the bargain when Mom said, "Yes we can get a dog IF..."

I love your ideas..the best ones

Old 04-19-2011, 03:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,212,379 times
Make bed (not perfectly)
sort laundry
put away folded laundry
pick up toys
clorox wipe bathroom counters
take their own dishes to the sink
take recycling from kitchen to bin in garage

Old 04-19-2011, 03:59 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,245,753 times
Imagine our surprise one Saturday morning to wake up and find that our 6-year-old daughter had cleaned the entire kitchen! I didn't think they made 6-year-olds like that!

Old 04-19-2011, 05:01 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,086,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Imagine our surprise one Saturday morning to wake up and find that our 6-year-old daughter had cleaned the entire kitchen! I didn't think they made 6-year-olds like that!
Can we adopt her??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting