Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can a yelling household raise a healthy child?
Yes 10 23.81%
No 14 33.33%
It depends 18 42.86%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 12:20 PM

621 posts, read 1,054,606 times

Advertisements

I'm torn on this question. My opinion, which is supported by some data, is that a yelling household does more damage than good. Alternative opinions show that the lack of yelling in a household may be why we have misbehaved children that show no respect.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 12:39 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Do you have any data to share? I grew up in a house with yelling. I'm raising my kids with less yelling, but still there is some.

Old 07-28-2013, 12:44 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
I think there is yelling and there is yelling....Not too much yelling when I was growing up. I can remember visiting with my college roommate's family. Their heritage was Mediterranean. Lot's of yelling. But also lots of love. They yelled and then they got over it.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:14 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,231,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think there is yelling and there is yelling....Not too much yelling when I was growing up. I can remember visiting with my college roommate's family. Their heritage was Mediterranean. Lot's of yelling. But also lots of love. They yelled and then they got over it.
This. Some families are just loud and they yell - but it's all good spirited, with love, and the kids feel it. On the other hand, you can damage a child's life by saying things in a completely calm, quiet voice. In fact, people who are always very cool and collected and quiet tend to creep me out a lot more. It depends on what's said and more importantly, what's behind the words. A warm loving parent will raise great kids with or without yelling, while a cold, hostile one will not.
I lose patience and yell at my kid sometimes, though I really try not to, but it's mainly just regular requests said in a loud voice (after I've repeated them calmly over and over) - like '"i SAID, GET DRESSED RIGHT NOW, WE'RE GOING TO BE LATE!!". I know it's not a good thing anyways but it happens. On the other hand, I used to know a family a while ago where the dad was verbally abusive both to his daughter and wife and he would yell things at the four year old like "You're stupid! Why the hell were you even born!!". That, without a doubt, is extremely damaging and would screw the kid over majorly.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:30 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
There's noisy rambunctious, and then there's lack of self control screaming. They are completely different environments. I think you would be hard-pressed to find any data suggesting screaming as a means of attempting discipline or control is healthy.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:34 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,438,375 times
What does "healthy" mean?
What does "yelling household" mean?

All it takes is one healthy child to come from a yelling household for the answer to the poll question to be yes.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:43 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,254,996 times
There was a fair amount of yelling in my house when I was growing up, me and my brothers all turned out differently so its hard to say.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:09 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,968,218 times
My own parents weren't yellers. We had a three story house, with four boys on the top level, so they installed an intercom. I suppose they might have yelled if it didn't work.

My own family is on the quiet side. I used to yell every morning to get the boys moving so they didn't miss the bus. One day they pointed out that they were perfectly capable of getting up and out on their own, and the yelling bothered them. So, I started sleeping in, and left it to them to handle their own mornings. Peace reigned.

I do know many very happy Italian families who are louder than my own. Some might consider them to be yellers, but it's really their normal way of speaking. The yelling isn't usually done in anger, which is what makes the difference.

I never saw positive results from yelling when I was mad.

Old 07-28-2013, 03:14 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
There is a difference between raising your voice to get your point across in a stern manner and actual yelling.

Not much of either when I was growing up in our home or my Grandparent's but plenty of other family members were the yelling type. Other family members were just loud (hearing aids and such).

Old 07-28-2013, 03:16 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Many ethnic households are loud ones.
No harm, foul, or hard feelings. Just loud and passionate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting