Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2011, 07:47 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Dew, do you have any Freddie Mercury stories?
Lol, Not a one!

But I do have a Sinatra story I'm saving.

Welcome back, MM! Glad everything went well. I was thinking of you.

Good morning all!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:47 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,472,760 times
Morning Hopes....my peonies are alongside my deck so they do have support but just along the one side - they still fall down on the other (non-deck) side.... I'd think they'd do better tied up no matter where they are - the blooms are just too heavy and numerous for the stems to support them on their own....My grandmother originally had them planted alongside the house and they still needed tying....(these are not mine, just a random picture I found)

These look like they've been tied (another random picture):

I actually didn't get around to tying mine this year...then of course we had wind, rain and hail.....and left for vacation so didn't get to enjoy them too much but, even untied, the blooms still are lovely and smell so nice (at least my bright pink ones do - my white/barely pink ones, don't have much in the way of fragrance). The tying them up is really just a preference - for me, it's simply because I don't like the flowers laying on the ground...it doesn't hurt the plants any. Some years I remember and some years I don't. The years that I don't, I just try to cut the lower flowers first.....

Last edited by maciesmom; 06-28-2011 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-28-2011, 08:06 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Some years, mine would have done better being tied. They do fine unless they get beat down with a heavy rain while they flowers are on them. Thanks for sharing. I think I'll move them to the back of my flower bed. That way they'll have the support of the other flowers, but I can also tie them without the tie being noticable. I love the smell of them too.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:14 AM

That reminded me that I need to get outside today and get some weeds taken care of. I think it's supposed to be hot today and in the coming days....should get that started before it's awful out (awful to me = above 90).....It's unbelievable how weedy things got in just one week. The good news is it looks like all my recent transplants survived. I am so ready for the rock garden area around our little pond to fill in. It is expensive to purchase the plants so I just wait and separate what I have when I can and let it fill in. It should look good in another year or two....in the meantime, the dirt areas get weedy and since in dry spells, our soil is rock hard, the weeds are difficult to pull. Especially the low to the ground ones. I'm hesitant to spray stuff because I don't want to accidentally kill what I'm trying to grow. I miss the soil in the midwest....

Did you have a nice break Hopes? I glanced back and saw that you were on vaycay too.....and something about a conversation with TK?

Morning Dew!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:18 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,958,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
mm! Welcome back. Glad to hear you had a nice trip, but I don't know who I'm supposed to discuss MasterChef with when you're gone.
Me! I'm watching it!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:26 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
When it hasn't rained, we try to weed after watering. Sometimes we use a shovel to loosen up the earth to get those roots out.

I'm finally dividing my large flower bed this fall to start filling a new flower bed I expanded. I've never joined garden clubs that's a great way to get divisions.

I trade with friends and neighbors. All of my hostas came from my neighbor's yard. I gave away from shasta daisies and black eyed susans last week.

We had a great time at our camp. It rained the entire weekend, but it was nice to get away from it all.

I gave TK notice to move out by the end of the summer. I will be THRILLED if he leaves sooner. I'm tired of his games.

It's time for him to take responsibility for his life. I'm not providing him a place to stay so he can have "fun."

Yeah, that's what he says when I tried to talk to him about continuing his education. "I don't want to go back to school. All I want to do is have fun."

Okay, Cindi, go have "fun" on someone else's dime.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Hopes, something to help with your bad back when your're gardening. (I have problems with my spine too.) When you pull weeds and are planting are you down on your hands and knees? I can't do that. So I learned to do everything sitting Indian style on the ground. I sit on a towel or blanket. If I need more height (like when I'm painting something close to the ground) I sit on a low box. I do all my planting for pots with the pot on a table and me standing up. For me, all of his helps. Maybe it will work for you as well.

I also sit with a heating pad on my back. If my back is really bad I'll stop what I'm doing and sit with it on my back for 10-20 minutes. Not everyone believes in heat treatments, but for me it works.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I trade with friends and neighbors. All of my hostas came from my neighbor's yard. I gave away from shasta daisies and black eyed susans last week.

Lucky you! Most of my friends/neighbors don't really garden....They plant a bunch of grass or put in rock/mulch so they only have to water and mow. I end up dividing what I already have....When I offer it to others, no one is really interested..... I'd love to be able to share/exchange with others.

Yeah...I'd be PO'd at someone else's adult child using my home as a place to "have fun" without any upward and outward movement. And if they stole from me (or anyone)? Nope. You have much more patience than I would have. It's unfortunate that not everyone appreciates a hand up when it's offered. Good luck.

Old 06-28-2011, 08:50 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Morning all. On my way out the door to take the kids to soccer camp, then errands for me. Talk to you all later!

Old 06-28-2011, 08:50 AM

1,933 posts, read 3,753,437 times
Good morning All!

I hope all is well with you and yours.

MM- I second Hopes on the weeding. Better wet than dry. Here it has been so dry trying to pull out a weed is like trying to get that sword out of a stone.

MM-JKCoop-FR How is master chef? I use to watch it faithfully in the UK but haven't been interested in it here in the US?

Hopes- You are right about Cindi having fun on your dime. Hopefully TK will do what he is suppose to do?

Dew- That is some great advice about pulling weeds! I am going to keep it in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.