Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 11:52 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times

Advertisements

Our utility bill is about $150 or less in the summer, a bit more in the winter. Our last house in 100-degree central cal was $700/month We had to go on the plan that spread it out evenly over the year, but it was still $500-$600/month. Completely ridiculous. That was old insulation and lots of floor to ceiling single-pane windows. Beautiful house, but really inefficient.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:06 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Fin - I have a music question.

How do websites that allow streaming - Rhapsody, Pandora, a new one I just got an invite to - Spotify - get the rights to the music? How can they AFFORD that? I know some people will pay for the service, but I can't imagine that many do....

Just wondering because I'm LOVING Spotify. I can listen to full albums that's I've never bothered to buy. I'm just putting up with the ads, so I'm not paying anything.
That's the deal right there - the ads you have to put up with are what pays for the service. Kinda like regular radio.

How it works is - the record labels and independent musicians send their tracks in. Pandora (or any radio station, cyber or terrestrial) doesn't pay for any rights to them per se, and the people that submit the music don't get paid for it at that point.

As the song is played, Pandora is required to pay a royalty for the "performance". There are two types of royalty payments, one for the composers of the song, and one for the people listed as the "performers" of the song. The songwriting royalties are called "mechanical" and the performance royalties are called "performance".

There are two agencies in the US that collect the mechanical royalties from radio stations and film and tv networks. Those guys are ASCAP and BMI. A composer would sign up with one of those, and every 4 months they get a check of the amount of money the ASCAP or BMI have collected on their behalf. There is another agency called SoundExchange, and they distribute the performers of the song their royalties.

So if you release a Beatles cover song, for example, you'll get the Performance Royalty and John and Paul will still get the Mechanical, seeing as they wrote it.

The amount of royalty paid per song is set by some govt body if I'm not mistaken.

They have a system in place that tracks the amount of times the song is played and then calculates the amount of royalties owed, which they then give to the Performing Rights agnencies (ASCAP and BMI and SoundExchange) which then distributes them to the artist, in the form of the most exciting mail a musician ever receives, in other words - "Yay! My ASCAP check is here!".

Before we all start singing "Money For Nothing" - I'd like to point out that the average royalty is around 0.08 cents per play.

But it's the ads we all don't want that allow us to not have to pay for the music directly. That's where they get their revenue, to pay for the royalties.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:33 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Music royalties 101 - thanks Fin!

Old 08-01-2011, 12:35 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
Fin, was this the whale rescue you saw? This is pretty cool. There's just no excuses for the Speedo though!

‪Saving Valentina.6.8.11.h264.mov‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-01-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Music royalties 101 - thanks Fin!
My pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Fin, was this the whale rescue you saw? This is pretty cool. There's just no excuses for the Speedo though!
Yes! That was it. I thought the same thing about the Speedos myself. Australia's great gift to the world.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:52 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,956,884 times
Whoa - that was amazing to watch. Not sure if the tears in my eyes were from watching the whale or the horrible speedo though. Yes - no excuse for that - and a poor child was in the boat!

Old 08-01-2011, 12:56 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I thought the same thing about the Speedos myself. Australia's great gift to the world.
Have a seat, Fin. I'm going to tell you about the 84-year old man in the Speedos I saw on Bondi Beach.

Gravity can be a cruel .

Old 08-01-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Have a seat, Fin. I'm going to tell you about the 84-year old man in the Speedos I saw on Bondi Beach.

Gravity can be a cruel .
I have seen many many men down at Bondi, seeing as I used to live there. Or should I say I've seen too much of many many men.

Not a lot of them with the NFL butt.

Enough said, me thinks.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:04 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,568,805 times
This song sounds like it should have been sung in the 60's. Love it. Don't watch the video, it really ruins it.

‪The Black Keys - Tighten Up [Official Music Video]‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-01-2011, 03:10 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I guess you're not too worried about having no job or place to live then? If the main thing on your mind at this point is your birthday and who you're going to drink with and having a party......Guessing you're also feeling better.
It was on my mind at the moment.
Just because I talk about everything else but stuff like college, jobs, moving out etc doesn't mean that I am not trying, just means I rather not talk about it if I don't have to.
I just got back from the pool. I am now (since most managers will be back from lunch now) will go on the hunt today for more apps and more jobs.

Just because I am in the situation I am in doesn't mean I have to be all work/talking work 24/7. That makes for a miserable person. I can think about my birthday and how I am going to celebrate it because no matter what a birthday is a birthday and I am going to continue to look for a job and work till my birthday but you can bet that Thursday night I will be going out for drinks with friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
My thoughts exactly mm. Dare we mention all the coin she'll spend on booze instead of putting it aside for when Mom puts her out on the streets.
A smart girl never pays for drinks on her birthday. I didn't last year when I went out for drinks and my friends paid for (I had to buy though) the stuff we got from the liquor store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Or making a car payment. Unless of course she's still "selling stuff on ebay" to pay bills. In which case, she had a heck of a lot of "stuff" worth good money laying around....Oh well, I guess that is all between her grandmother (who apparently supports everyone in that family), the mom and txt. Glad it's theirs to deal with and not me.

I can't help but think, if txt had enlisted in some branch of the military after high school, she'd be about out by now, maybe with some MP experience and GI cash for college/police academy, as well as had a full time job with benefits for the last 4 years...but I digress.
I never said I was selling stuff on ebay to make my bills. I sold my Verizon blackberry on craigslist, that was it. The first two months I had money left over from work and I got a tax refund. Then I went to my grandmothers and stayed an extra 2 1/2 weeks to help her get to doctors appointments and since she had me stay during the time I needed to be back and job hunting she paid that next months bills for me. Then I helped out one of TG's friends who was sick and she paid me a pretty good amount. Then house sat, then got a $75 check from the DOR for some reason. Then helped out TG's friend a little bit more and now the cash flow has ended and I am looking for work and will probably have to find something quick between now and the 4th and then the 8th to pay my bills again and I am good for another month and it will give me plenty of time to find a job and start getting paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Greetings, kids.

Hope everyone is doing well today.

I don't know if I'd be celebrating my birthday if I was still living in my Mom's basement at 22. But that's just me.

Don't poke the bears. Somedays the bears have bills to pay and no patience with foolishness.
I don't live in my mom's basement.
I DO have a bedroom, granted I never sleep here so its not like I am imposing all that much on the two people who never see me, it's almost like I don't even live here.

Quote:
Poke the bears indeed!

txt - you complain a lot but you have no idea how good you have it. That nonsense you not be going on in my house if my 22 year old child was living with me and didn't have a job. Oh wait, the situation wouldn't get that far in the first place here.

On that note, I'm going to go transfer the money DS owes for the month for insurance and his phone......
I DID have a job. That job sucked. That job totally did not follow the law and paid me very little for full time work, when MOST jobs at the mall pay like 8 or 9/hr, which is why that is where I am currently looking.
But like I said I am hardly ever here, I've slept in my own bed maybe ONCE in the past 7 or 8 days. It really is like I don't even live here, nor do I spend a lot of time here.
I came home at 8am, showered, left at 10:50 have been at the pool ever since then came home, I am in the process of changing clothes, then I am going to go out and go around town looking for jobs, then over to TG's friends house to see if there is anything I can do for her to make some quick cash to cover my bills. I probably won't be home till later tonight and even then that might to be to pick up some pajamas because I know TG is going to ask me to stay the night again.

BY THE WAY GUYSSSS

Guess who's been going to bed at like 9 or 10 getting up around 5 or so at the start of some annoying alarms. Then back to my house to shower and change out to the pool by 10 or 11, there till 1 or 2 and then looking for jobs from 2pm-6 or 7 pm. TG said 10-11 or 2-5 is the best times to go in because that's when managers are in and not at lunch and available.

So I am off to go inquire about jobs.
LATERS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting