Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2011, 09:26 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,342,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Wow! That seems early! School doesn't start here for a month. DS and I planned to go register him for fall classes tomorrow. But his friend in Seattle called tonight. I'm not sure if that will change his plans or not. He was planning to return to school for the fall and hoping to move to Seattle over winter break with his friends who will be home visiting for the holidays. Now I'm wondering if he'll change his mind and decide to leave for Seattle earlier. I know he'll view the phone call as a good sign that his friends want him there. Every apsect of my life seems up in the air right now but that's a good thing because change is healthy.
now that is a totally different attitude than my mom had when I was in school. I HAD to stay in school to keep my car, my health insurance. I really couldn't consider doing anything until I was out, which took 6 years! My mom is not good with change.

school starts way early here. They have a 2 week fall break, 2 week Christmas, and 2 week spring break. Summer is only 8 weeks.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:34 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,108,181 times
Geez, nobody said Larry Jr. I thought you had all gone off the deep end there.

MM, we did the salmon and grilled vegetables (after DS complained yesterday that we hadn't done fish in a long time, then he ate pizza at work). As soon as dinner was done and cleaned up, DH made a big bowl of popcorn. We watched True Grit. It was ok, but didn't have any of the lightheartedness I remember from the original. And I miss John Wayne.

Hopes, we just planted a couple more tomato plants this week. Our other ones petered out, and it should stay hot enough here for at least 2 more months.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,519,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
now that is a totally different attitude than my mom had when I was in school. I HAD to stay in school to keep my car, my health insurance. I really couldn't consider doing anything until I was out, which took 6 years!
I think it will be good for him. If he stays here, he'll only leave the house to go to school. If he moves there, he might learn how to make a life for himself and become independent. Plus he has time to take a break from school since he graduated from HS with an associates degree. His friends who moved to Seattle haven't even started college yet and they're older than him. (They are from wealthy families so they'll make it to college if and when they decide to do so.)

Quote:
My mom is not good with change.
Mine wasn't either. She had a problem with letting go. She didn't want us to move. I'll never forget when she threw herself in front of the door trying to prevent my older sister from moving out. And I received a full scholarship to a college in St. Louis but she manipulated me into staying in Pittsburgh. I swore I'd never be like that to my children. Yet somehow I ended up with one child who is afraid of independence. There's something to be said for making children miserable enough that they want to leave home. Don't get me wrong, I adore my son and wouldn't mind having him with me for eternity. BUT I know that's not healthy for him. I'll support whatever it takes to get him independent.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Hopes, we just planted a couple more tomato plants this week. Our other ones petered out, and it should stay hot enough here for at least 2 more months.
I'm hoping I get a nice late crop of tomatos too. We planted ours a month ago. They were about a foot tall when we planted them. They're not huge, like 3' or 6' because we planted them late, but they have lots of tomatos on them. My peppers are doing well. The darn cucumbers seem to be lagging behind, green and healthy but not lush, lots of flowers but not one cucumber to be seen yet.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:44 PM

Quote:
I think it will be good for him. If he stays here, he'll only leave the house to go to school. If he moves there, he might learn how to make a life for himself and become independent. Plus he has time to take a break from school since he graduated from HS with an associates degree. His friends who moved to Seattle haven't even started college yet and they're older than him. (They are from wealthy families so they'll make it to college if and when they decide to do so.)

Mine wasn't either. She had a problem with letting go. She didn't want us to move. I'll never forget when she threw herself in front of the door trying to prevent my older sister from moving out. And I received a full scholarship to a college in St. Louis but she manipulated me into staying in Pittsburgh. I swore I'd never be like that to my children. Yet somehow I ended up with one child who is afraid of independence. There's something to be said for making children miserable enough that they want to leave home. Don't get me wrong, I adore my son and wouldn't mind having him with me for eternity. BUT I know that's not healthy for him. I'll support whatever it takes to get him independent.

I grew up going on road trips all over the country with my parents, and hearing them reminisce about their big trip to Europe in their 20's. I was raised to travel, yet, when I suggested going abroad for a semester my mom shut down and refused to even hear or speak about it. I went anyway. I was till enrolled in college, so I didn't lose my insurance. It was classes I didn't need, but I had the time of my life.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 PM

1,731 posts, read 4,701,811 times
Quote:
not my type

michael owen - Google Search

this is my "boyfriend"

How funny. I was just about to post that Michael Owen was MY boyfriend. You sure do have great taste.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:49 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,631,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
BTW Zim, if you see this after your girls' weekend (I NEED one of those), I had very good cooperation in the No. Fulton schools to deal with my son's IEP. It isn't as scary a process in GA as I was led to believe.
Thanks Mattie, that makes me feel much better. We are in Cobb, but hopefully it's not much different.

And Dr. Zimbo hereby prescribes one girl's weekend to Mattie. There. It's official.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:

I grew up going on road trips all over the country with my parents, and hearing them reminisce about their big trip to Europe in their 20's. I was raised to travel, yet, when I suggested going abroad for a semester my mom shut down and refused to even hear or speak about it. I went anyway. I was till enrolled in college, so I didn't lose my insurance. It was classes I didn't need, but I had the time of my life.
That's fantastic! I'm glad you had such a great experience! It's great that our children can stay on health insurance even if they're not in school now. My son traveled everywhere, often without family too. The boy scouts are great for that---three week trips to sail the Florida Keys and hike mountains in Mexico. He was always super independent prior to developing his anxiety disorders. I'll be hopeful and excited for him if he moves to Seattle. It's something I would have loved doing at his age.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
How funny. I was just about to post that Michael Owen was MY boyfriend. You sure do have great taste.
hottie!

Old 08-01-2011, 06:22 AM

4,563 posts, read 10,991,248 times
Morning all!

Quote:
Did you stop working at the farm? I must have missed that somewhere along the way.
I ended up not doing it. Originally I thought she wanted me to just fill in maybe one day a week. Turns out, she wanted someone to work half days about every day. There was just no way. She was willing to let me have what ever hours I wanted, but that wasn't fair to HER. I just decided, since we live next door to each other and she's like our mother, it's better to not do it rather than be frustrated with the whole situation.

Quote:
jk- loving Cozi. Thanks for the idea!
That's great! I'm finally getting DS to start putting things on the shopping list when he uses up the last of it. That's been the best part for us.

So in the middle of the night last night I seriously checked the thermostat app on my iPhone. Sure enough, it didn't get down to the targeted temp of 69. I keep it set at 75 during the day, but at night, I don't sleep well if it's warm and our bedroom is upstairs, so it's stuffy.

A.C. was froze up. DH determined, after reading forums, etc. at 5am this morning, that living in Colorado it's not possible to get it that cool in the house with it cool outside.

I know - I know- open the windows! But....keeping the house closed has helped DH's allergies. HE says he's fine at night with it at 72. I'M not. So windows will get opened at night.

Now if I only had an app that would automatically OPEN the windows and turn off the a.c. at the right time and vise versa......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting