Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 07:48 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
I am broke, my van isn't running, and I make a higher salary than DH. Yet, my job is so horrible that I need some help today to keep from walking out. I have had to physically keep myself in my desk at least once a day every day this week. My boss is horrible (not the one I was with on my trip). He is so abusive to his employees that I just want to cry every day. I am not even a cryer.

Please help give me the strength to get through my day without walking out. I really do like eating and having a place to live.
((((((((((((num1bab))))))))))))

Try to not take him personally. Let his bull roll off your back. Just focus on the job, not the people. Remind yourself that being there for the money isn't a bad reason to be at work.

I can relate. My boss at my last job was insane. Since I was paid extremely well, I just laughed all the way to the bank. I thought I was being paid good money to simply put up with a freak. I just shrugged off everything that happened with an imaginary eyeroll and a mental reminder that he had "issues" not me.

Last edited by Hopes; 08-12-2011 at 08:27 AM..

Old 08-12-2011, 07:55 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,903,240 times
Oh, num, I'm so sorry. Sh&*ty bosses are the worst. And money stress makes everything worse, I can totally relate to that.

I had one a number of years back and did a lot of the things Hopes suggested. That and tried to focus on how he was a miserable human being and karma would come and bite him in the butt eventually (which it did - the year after I left, he was "asked" to leave the university - it might make me a bad person, but I was overjoyed).

You can do this, just get through the next few hours and then have a great weekend with the family! Hugs!!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:58 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Hang in there num....DH and I have both been there...it really sucks. There are definitely some people who just shouldn't be managing. Anyone. Ever. Right now is just a horrible time to be in that place. I wish the economy were better and it was easier to find a better job. Just hang in there and do what you need to do.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:09 AM

ewag - I think DS is feeling a bit better thanks. He slept in his bed last night rather than on the family room sofa (he slept there the first night because he hadn't been able to sleep and figured downstairs he could at least watch TV). One of his friends dropped by some of his homework (that was handouts not online) and he did that and all his online assignments. So that's good. Hoping he can go back on Monday. Fortunately he is done with his schoolday by noon so maybe he'll be ok going then coming home and resting. We'll see.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
ewag - I think DS is feeling a bit better thanks. He slept in his bed last night rather than on the family room sofa (he slept there the first night because he hadn't been able to sleep and figured downstairs he could at least watch TV). One of his friends dropped by some of his homework (that was handouts not online) and he did that and all his online assignments. So that's good. Hoping he can go back on Monday. Fortunately he is done with his schoolday by noon so maybe he'll be ok going then coming home and resting. We'll see.
Ugh, poor kid! I'll keep my fingers crossed that he can make it in on Monday - that's great that he's done by noon. And props to him for already getting all of his work done already

Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
Morning all!

mm - I'm a little behind... what's up with DS? I hope it's not serious? Best wishes for him to get well.

nummy - uggg, hang in there. I hate bullies. I really really hate boss bullies. I wish you could just walk up to him and let him have it in the cajones and not go to jail (or get fired). Maybe you could kick him in the imaginary crotch.

Ewag, you gave me your cold, thanks very much.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:16 AM

Morning FR - DS has mono...blech....diagnosed on the second day of school....

Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 AM

Sorry, FR! Damn those cyber-germs!!

Feel better soon!

Old 08-12-2011, 08:21 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:

I had a crazy thought last night as I was falling asleep. Ok. So this is going to prove that I think about you people way too much. As I was falling asleep, I think I figured out the restaurant thing. Not just kids misbehaving (which I think is blown way out of proportion), but adults as well. Did you all notice yesterday that when you were telling stories about going to restaurants as kids, most of you mentioned being dressed up.

I really think that the way we dress changes how we act. When we are dressed up, we are a little more polite, a little quieter, just all around more well-mannered. When you (general you) are wearing shorts and a tank top you are more relaxed and comfortable. Wearing short and a tank top are acceptable at most of the restaurants that these people are mentioning.

I think if we all started dressing up for dinner, travel, functions, etc, we would see a lot of this craziness stop.
Well, your craziness is contagious, too-- dh and I had a similar conversation.

My son attended classes at a school which had a fairly draconian dress code. (No uniforms-- uniforms would have been easier.) Their philosophy was that, if you take the time to think about how you present yourself, you'll try to live up to that presentation.
I think that probably extends to parents with children. Certainly it does to adults without them, which is why offices frequently have dress standards. Or used to, anyway. I would be more than willing to go back to older standards of appropriate dress, to be honest.

Quote:
I wish I was as creative as you guys. My mom always made our birthday cakes. For my 3rd birthday, she did a stand up barbie. Like the ones you can get in the stores now. A real barbie in the middle and cake and frosting around her to make her big ball gown type skirt.
My sister made one of those cakes for a birthday party. Beautiful Bob Mackie style gown, lots of glitter and embellishment. And Ken in the center instead of Barbie.

Last edited by Aconite; 08-12-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 08-12-2011, 08:24 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It's the first day of school here. The parade of kids walking to the elementary school has begun. Everyone is all dressed up. One total cutie just went by and her dad was carrying her bright pink back pack.

I love living in Mayberry.
Dew, I'm envious. I want to live in Mayberry, but dh is a city boy. And small towns in Florida don't look so much like Mayberry, anyway, as the backdrop for Swamp People.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting