Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2011, 07:04 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,915,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Ha...you guys got off easy... Mr. Mm is not allowed to visit the Humane Society. Ever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ha! One dog and three cats later, NONE of the FinsterRufuses are allowed to visit the Humane Society.
Heehee! Yup, I'm not allowed, either. Two dogs, three cats (and at one point also two chinchillas) - though I blame DH for one cat and at least one dog!

Old 08-27-2011, 07:05 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,861,114 times
Hey FR and MM, you guys want 2 cats? Please? I am not a cat person, but somehow I have had 2 cats for 12 years. I was supposed to only watch them for a weekend. ugh.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:06 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,568,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Ha! One dog and three cats later, NONE of the FinsterRufuses are allowed to visit the Humane Society.
Yes that could be an issue here. I have veto power though since we seem to have a talent for attracting dogs with pricey medical issues....

Old 08-27-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by num1baby View Post
One more hurricane tip. If you lose power, unplug anything not on a surge protector. That includes appliances. During our hurricanes here, we had the power surging through our house occasionally. We had 3 surge protectors actually blow up. Saved the stuff plugged into them, but one of them actually shattered.
Thanks, num! I wouldn't have thought of that either.

Quote:
DH is also banned from Walgreens.
Glad it's not just us!!

Re: the 2004 hurricanes - holy cow, that is insane - 24" in 2 hours????

And awesome job on DD's stuff and finding frugal ways to organize. Can I import you to PA for a bit when you're done???

Old 08-27-2011, 07:17 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,861,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Thanks, num! I wouldn't have thought of that either.

Glad it's not just us!!

Re: the 2004 hurricanes - holy cow, that is insane - 24" in 2 hours????

And awesome job on DD's stuff and finding frugal ways to organize. Can I import you to PA for a bit when you're done???
Sure. I love organizing and finding creative ways to do it. I am just frustrated with this one because I let it get too out of hand before I took care of it. For a while I considered trying to open my own business organizing people. The fun part is doing it with things you already have. What is the point in throwing out a bunch of stuff just to go out and buy more stuff to organize the stuff you already had.

Did you know you can part of the top bunk in a bunk bed, attach it to the wall and use it as a laundry drying rack? It also doubles as a place to hang clothes while folding in the laundry room. Have an empty large picture frame, turn it into a messgae board. Use thise old curtains, tablecloth, whatever and stretch them into the frame with a piece of plywood (we always have scrap plywood) and you can now use it like a cork board. Or, picture too small for the frame you have, you can use scrapbooking paper and us that as the photo mat.

I have a million others. I am good with organizing the most random things and re-using the broken stuff you have.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Sure. I love organizing and finding creative ways to do it. I am just frustrated with this one because I let it get too out of hand before I took care of it. For a while I considered trying to open my own business organizing people. The fun part is doing it with things you already have. What is the point in throwing out a bunch of stuff just to go out and buy more stuff to organize the stuff you already had.

Did you know you can part of the top bunk in a bunk bed, attach it to the wall and use it as a laundry drying rack? It also doubles as a place to hang clothes while folding in the laundry room. Have an empty large picture frame, turn it into a messgae board. Use thise old curtains, tablecloth, whatever and stretch them into the frame with a piece of plywood (we always have scrap plywood) and you can now use it like a cork board. Or, picture too small for the frame you have, you can use scrapbooking paper and us that as the photo mat.

I have a million others. I am good with organizing the most random things and re-using the broken stuff you have.
Oh, man! I totally need your skills!! I love having things organized but am not so skilled at actually getting them that way.

I LOVE the idea of using what you already have - we try to do that as much as possible. I got all excited after the last move when we could repurpose some old baskets and storage shelves into the new space. But it sounds like you take repurposing to a whole new level! I'm impressed!

Do you think you will try to start an organizing people business one day?

Old 08-27-2011, 07:40 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,617,933 times
Fin and Ewag - glad to hear you are safe and sound.

My niece was flying through New York this afternoon on her way home from South Africa, and got the last flight out before they cancelled all remaining flights. She said things in JFK were a little tense.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:05 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,075,243 times
Hey Fin and Ewag, hang onto your hats for a few more hours.

Right now in the basement we have tote boxes with Legos, GI Joes, Hess trucks, Tonka trucks, Playmobile, Johnny Quest, Matchbox,and many of those stupid Beanie Babies. If there is money to be made, the boys will have to be satisfied with them. I always hated Pokemon. I took great pleasure in throwing them out today. When eldest DS was about 14 we took his prized baseball cards to a dealer. Nothing was worth much of anything. At least he stopped spending his moeny on them after that.

Isn't disc golf played with a frisbee? That's the way we always played.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:28 PM

13,684 posts, read 10,081,774 times
Holy Carp! There's a tornado warning, for my neighborhood for the next 10 minutes.

Yikes! I think I'm going to the basement.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:32 PM

Thanks Mattie and Zim!

Us too, FR. And just when I was glad not to have a basement, dammit. Stay safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting