Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 11:06 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,572,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
mm: How's DD enjoying her vacay? Looks like it rained here. It's hot AND humid. Hope she's still able to enjoy things.
Dew - she had a nice time - got back last night. Said it was hot, they sat by the pool a lot, went to The Melting Pot for dinner, went to IKEA, lounged by the pool.... It was just a quick weekend but she had a great time.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:09 AM

rkb - I'd be embarrassed to say how many pairs of jeans in various sizes are in my closet.

I cooked this weekend which did not help that either. Baked mac n cheese and the peach cobbler were not my friends this weekend. Someone needs to finish those up and get them out of my line of vision....

Old 08-15-2011, 11:11 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,309,671 times
That sounds yummy! I think what is really keeping me from clearing out the jeans is I'd have to try them all on and see just how small they really are. That's just too depressing. Maybe after I lose 5 more lbs.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:12 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,439,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
How sweet of you all to worry about me. We made a quick trip to L.A. to celebrate DH's birthday.
Glad to hear you were on a fun trip and not sick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
That means admitting I'm *bigger* than I used to be.
No! No! Don't admit that! The dryer shrunk them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I am still trying to lose a little weight so I don't want to toss anything I might still wear.
My sister is funny! She keeps everything. Years ago, she was super skinny, like under 90lbs, because she was very ill. Even though she's at a healthy weight now, she says that she's keeping all of her old clothes so she won't have to buy new clothes later in life when she has cancer. She'll be the most retro cancer patient in those 1980s clothes!

Old 08-15-2011, 11:12 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,355,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
The Melting Pot for dinner,
I had to look them up. Looks good! Going to have to give them a try.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Baked mac n cheese and the peach cobbler were not my friends this weekend. Someone needs to finish those up and get them out of my line of vision....
Send them my way! I'll be their friends!

Now I have a craving for homemade mac and cheese. Hubby's going to have to suffer through dinner tonight. (He hates cheese meals.)

Old 08-15-2011, 11:22 AM

4,563 posts, read 10,983,333 times
Dew - so glad you are okay and only having fun - but you forgot the rule around here! You have to let us know so we don't worry!

mm - I am getting so sick of peach cobbler here. DS brought home a whole bunch of peaches from work the other day. They were bruised, so they couldn't be sold. They work fine for cobbler, but frankly, I can only make that so many times. All though they are claiming they aren't sick of it yet. I'm sick of making it which counts the most.

Old 08-15-2011, 11:29 AM

12,979 posts, read 14,619,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
Your comment had me cracking up!
Couldn't help myself with that lunatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
And in wonderful news: DS was a total champion at the dentist! I was so proud of him - he even let the dentist look at his teeth (briefly) and shook his hand when we left. Let's see if his own appt in a few weeks goes as well (fingers crossed)...
That's great. Fear of the dentist is a hard thing to deal with, so a positive experience is valuable. DS has health issues that has meant many doctor visits and many shots. I am very grateful he takes is all in stride. If it were DD in that situation, then....

Old 08-15-2011, 11:36 AM

jk - can you freeze the peaches? I bought and peeled more peaches than I needed so I have some, cooked in the simple syrup in a container for DH and DS to put on ice cream when the cobbler is gone. Thinking I could probably freeze some of that even in a freezer ziplok for this winter.

I've only made peach cobbler a few times. I made the mistake of using Paula Deen's recipe this time. Not a fan of hers but the recipe looked good and easy. It was really really good. Peaches are one of DS's favorites so I have a feeling this recipe will be used more than a few times in the future. And for the first time, I blanched the peaches - I can't believe I'd never done that before. That's actually one of the reasons I hadn't made peach cobbler or crisp or anything much - because peaches can be so darned hard to work with. The blanching was the bomb....

Old 08-15-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
jk - can you freeze the peaches? I bought and peeled more peaches than I needed so I have some, cooked in the simple syrup in a container for DH and DS to put on ice cream when the cobbler is gone. Thinking I could probably freeze some of that even in a freezer ziplok for this winter.
Absolutely! My sister-in-law does it!

She cuts them in half, takes out the seed, and puts them in zip lock freezer bags.

They look beautiful and taste great, like they were just picked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.