Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 03:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Where's a good street market on a Saturday? That kind of thing is my favorite stuff to do in NY. Is there one at union square? I remember going to a few years ago but I'm sketchy about where they were.
We found two on Saturday last year. One was in Greenwich Village over toward the East Village side of Greenwich. It was more of an artist market---hand crafted jewlery, etc. It wasn't big but there was great stuff there. It was closer to Washington Square than Union Square---sort of inbetween. The road was closed and the booths were in the middle of the street.

A more fake label, flea market, fell off a truck, type market was in Tribeca. It was packed. Very crowded. Watch your purse and pockets. Someone pick-pocketed my city map from my pocket. I guess they thought it was cash. LOL This one was along the sidewalks for many blocks.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:03 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,975,086 times
Ok I just need to vent.
I really do.

I feel so LOST. My car started making a weird noise the other day, its a brand new car. It was a knocking noise, and it didn't do it for long and it quit but my mom's car made it and then her car died and the engine went out and it freaks me out.

I have no one to go with me to the dealership to get this looked at, I have no one to help me through this all, I shouldn't be just thrown into the dark when it comes to something as important as the maintenance of my car.

My mom won't help me, she won't even drive over to the dealership with me tomorrow so I don't have to walk back home from Arapahoe road to where I live because I have to go in tomorrow at 9am and leave it for the day. Postponing my trip yet another day.

My mom and I got into another fight, she told me she wishes I was dead and just how much she hates me.

I'm taking it in tomorrow at 9am, I don't know how to deal with all this or really what to say or whatever, and then the dude wants me to leave my car the whole day so now I have to walk home , there's no one to help me out.

I just wanna cry.
I want to be at my grandmothers already, I hate it here.

OHHH and my mom was yelling at calling me a bish, telling me she hated me, told me she wished I was dead and hopes I never come back (my grandmother heard it all) and then when I yelled back she called her dad (without me knowing) SAID NOTHING and just let him listen to me yell. So its taking it all out of context. Its low.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I have no one to go with me to the dealership to get this looked at, I have no one to help me through this all, I shouldn't be just thrown into the dark when it comes to something as important as the maintenance of my car.
This is how you learn about car maintenance. Nobody holds your hand. You take your car to the dealership or a mechanic and you deal with it. If what they say doesn't make sense, you get a second opinion. Call people on the phone and ask them if what the mechanic is saying makes sense. Google it and research it. I've diagnosed my own car problems on the internet many times.

Honey, if this is a new car, it has a warranty. Be glad for that. It's not like they are going to be scamming you out of money----if they're scamming, they'll scam the warranty out of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
I feel so LOST. My car started making a weird noise the other day, its a brand new car. It was a knocking noise, and it didn't do it for long and it quit but my mom's car made it and then her car died and the engine went out and it freaks me out.
I think you're being paranoid about it. I'm not insulting you. I was the same way when I was young and didn't know anything about cars. At your age, I would have freaked and taken it in too. I would have paid money I didn't need to pay. Today, I'd drive the darn thing if the noise went way. I'd wait to see if the noise came back before I bothered to have it checked.

While the things your mother is saying sound very harsh, it also sounds like you are being extremely immature and annoying to her.

Get a grip. This is part of car ownership. Learn how to cope.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:25 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We found two on Saturday last year. One was in Greenwich Village over toward the East Village side of Greenwich. It was more of an artist market---hand crafted jewlery, etc. It wasn't big but there was great stuff there. It was closer to Washington Square than Union Square---sort of inbetween. The road was closed and the booths were in the middle of the street.

A more fake label, flea market, fell off a truck, type market was in Tribeca. It was packed. Very crowded. Watch your purse and pockets. Someone pick-pocketed my city map from my pocket. I guess they thought it was cash. LOL This one was along the sidewalks for many blocks.
There is an AWESOME flea market in Brooklyn. It has all kinds of hand crafted jewelry and food. It's really awesome.

Brooklyn Flea

Hopes, I think what you saw in Tribeca was one of these

https://www.clearviewfestival.com/

They pop up all over the place all weekend in the summer. I like to get kettle corn and scarves.

Any yes, NEVER carry anything in back pockets. All the men in New York carry their wallets in their front pocket.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
There is an AWESOME flea market in Brooklyn. It has all kinds of hand crafted jewelry and food. It's really awesome.

Brooklyn Flea
Great info! Now there's a reason to go to Brooklyn after all!

Old 05-09-2011, 04:36 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Evening all....my nemesis the wind has picked up again this afternoon....grrr....

Getting ready to head out to DS's lacrosse banquet tonight. Should be fun. The first year we went (his freshman year) we really didn't know very many of the parents or kids since it was a new sport for DS. We didn't go last year because he was working and the schedule couldn't be rearranged to accomodate (or maybe he was so new he didn't feel he could ask...not sure)..This year, we know most of the kids and parents and coaches so it will be much more enjoyable. One of the graduating seniors is the son of my friend who gets us together to "support the troops" we've known him since he was probably in 3rd or 4th grade. Will be bittersweet....This time of year is that way. We're starting to get graduation announcements and party invites.....I see the names and just want to ...

Old 05-09-2011, 05:13 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,805 times
How does your son like lacrosse? My son will be in 6th grade next year and the school offers a semi-competitive team (practices for a six week span then a tournament over a two week span with the other middle schools in our district)- he's thinking about joining the team. Good sport?? Worth a go for an athletic kid looking for something new to try?

Last edited by strawflower; 05-09-2011 at 05:21 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 05:18 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
MM I loved the banquets and eating bad chicken. Have a good time!

Old 05-09-2011, 05:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Straw - DS has really enjoyed lacrosse. He picked it up as a freshman when he didn't make the baseball team. It has been a great experience for him as well as a good lesson that when things happen that seem to be the end of the world you can choose to wallow in self pity or you can pick up and do something else and create an opportunity. DS is an athletic kid and is happiest when he's doing something physical. We're so grateful he was invited to try lacrosse!

Old 05-09-2011, 06:43 PM

Strawberry,

My son played almost every sport from K through 6th grade. He'd play one sport for a year or two and switch to another. In 7th grade, he played lacrosse for the first time. He LOVED it. It was the only sport he was interested in playing and played until he graduated. It's a great sport. Lacrosse attracts kids with great attitudes too, IMO. Lacrosse is definitely worth trying if your son is interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.