Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 06:38 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,906,977 times

Advertisements

FR: Thanks for the info - I'm a fan of the shameless plug! I'll let you know if anything comes up after I finish throwing things in boxes, tape, repeat ad nauseam......

Hopes: Yes, by internet standards, I could run over to borrow a cup of sugar!

Hope everyone has a good weekend. I'll be back in a few days after we get online at the new house.

Old 06-04-2011, 07:27 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,961,186 times
Morning all -

Good luck with the move east!

We are off to Sam's, Home Depot, etc. Why is it when you start one project, it morphs into more? We've been wanting to get the ugly tile off from around the fire place - the color the original homeowner picked - looks like it should be in a bathroom. Anyway, we are pulling it off and putting something different on there before they do the floors next week since the floors will but up to it.

We've had this flooring in the house for a week now and it will still be another week and a half before the install - I'm beginning to think we should have done it ourselves.....

Old 06-04-2011, 08:29 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,481,058 times
Good morning everyone....

Nothing like a 12 hour workday yesterday. Yikes. By the time I got home I was just done.

I really need to do some yardwork today. I've not been good about that this year. Need to spray for weeds, and tie up my peonies before they start blooming.

We have a graduation party tonight that I'm looking forward to. It's the oldest son of DS's youth football coach so lots of people I haven't seen since DS played football (8th grade). Some families who's kids attend different high schools or just don't hang in the same crowds as DS. Our football teams tended to be a pretty close family over the 4-5 years they played together. It should be fun.

jk - I'm jealous about the tile replacement! We have brick around our fireplace - which is fine but when I sit and daydream about what I'd do to this house if I had the funds, I envision overlaying the brick with stone, covering the hearth with slate and installing a mantle. I envision all kinds of things. Then, I wake up and realize that if I did everything I thought about I might as well move...I don't see us moving until DS is out of college though. But I'm ready - just for something with a different layout and less yard, and a 3 car garage...and a bigger kitchen....and ..and...and...

OK - one more cup of coffee and then I need to get my keester in gear....

Good luck with moving ewag!

Old 06-04-2011, 09:22 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
Aloha. Celebrating my brother's birthday today. Going to his house then out to lunch. Should be a good time. Don't work too hard Ewag. Have a great time mm!

Old 06-04-2011, 12:01 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,198,006 times
Tee-balll at 8:30 this am, then a "sensory friendly" Kung Fu Panda 2. now yard work.

MM - I love brick. I miss my old brick fireplace. Don't cover it up!

I see nothing new with Mattie today. I wonder if the big blow up last night was because she told the bride that her mom didn't want them talking. Tune in later today...

Have a good weekend, all!

Old 06-04-2011, 03:13 PM

Hey guys....turned out to be a nice day - warm and just a little breezy. Got the pots on my deck planted as well as some other assorted plantings and misc. yardwork. Good day for it. Feels good to have it done. Tomorrow DS will need to scoop and mow and that will help too. My iris are blooming some. They are getting overcrowded and not blooming as much. This fall I will need to do some major digging up of iris. That is always a huge job since I have a lot. Anyone need some iris? I'll have tons and tons and I end up throwing them away. I'll need to get cleaned up here in a bit for the party so I'm going to just veg for a bit. Still smelled a bit smokey this morning and from time to time. Not sure if it's coming from the mountains where I know there is a fire or from further south of here.....

rkb - that is great that they do "sensory friendly" movies showings. I am always shocked at how loud some of the movies are.....and I don't mind my brick on the fireplace (it's not even much brick - just around the insert and on the hearth....I just like the look of stacked stone....and would like to have the fireplace a bit more of an "anchor" at that end of the room.

Dew - hope you enjoyed spending time with your bro - how nice to be close enough to do that!

Old 06-04-2011, 03:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,198,006 times
The movie was kind of a toss up between not having the stress of keeping my kids still and quiet, and dealing with the noise of the other kids. I'm not sure which bothers me more.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:46 PM

Going to movies with kids is tough no matter what.

I'm procrastinating. I need to start getting ready. I know I'll have a good time, I'm anxious to see everyone. I just hate getting ready. Plus my feet hurt from being on them all morning. I wish the party would come to me....

Old 06-04-2011, 03:49 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,210,848 times
mm: Oh, to have left over irises! After our first trip to Ohio I got the Iris bug and bought them. They weren't easy to get in SoCal and I had to either order them or wait for a garden show. Love them.

We went to a HUGE outlet mall that had a Rainforest Cafe. Got a primo table by the gorillas. There was also an aquarium in the mall so we walked throug that. Fun to see the little kids enjoying themselves.

No hot gods spotted.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:56 PM

Dew - I bought a bag of iris "bulbs" (technically they're not bulbs) at Costco probably 10-12 years ago. That bag had 9 bulbs I think. I initially planted all 9 in the front yard, in a row in front of part of our fence. They looked lovely and I received many compliments. Every year I had to move more of the rock away to make room for the spreading iris. After a few years I broke some more apart and planted 3 iris beds in the backyard, gave a bunch away and threw a bunch away. I now have 3 overrun iris beds. I still like them but every couple of years, they need to be dug up and thinned out or they just take over. It is a big job and it's definitely time. I see all of it though and can't believe all of that from 9 bulbs. Got my money's worth that's for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.