Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 04:35 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times

Advertisements

I just took a nice nap. I needed it after my insomniac night last night. We went out to lunch, planted some flowers. We're going to go get some frozen yogurt for dinner. It is warm here!

Old 05-08-2011, 04:42 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,837,498 times
It was in the 70s today. I took a walk down to my new apartment just to find all the "things" in the neighborhood like the grocery store, nail salon, and all that fun stuff. I have also started washing my dishes by hand to prepare for the move. When I moved into my apartment the dishwasher I had was the equivalent to holding a dirty dish under a rain water shower, so really, I don't think this should be a lot of an issue.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:10 PM

13,425 posts, read 9,957,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
It was in the 70s today. I took a walk down to my new apartment just to find all the "things" in the neighborhood like the grocery store, nail salon, and all that fun stuff. I have also started washing my dishes by hand to prepare for the move. When I moved into my apartment the dishwasher I had was the equivalent to holding a dirty dish under a rain water shower, so really, I don't think this should be a lot of an issue.
Happy MD to everyone!

Sorry about your grandma, ohio. Hope she makes a good recovery.

Yes, I'm coming to NY fri and sat. Going to take someone who's never been. I love doing that. We park at weehawken and get the ferry over. It's a thrilling sight if it's your first time.

That russian restaurant sounds like fun. I'm a bit rusty on my russian cuisine. What does one eat?

Do you know of any good authentic Thai? There's a bunch on 9th midtown but I'd really like to find a good real one, not too americanized. What's your absolute favorite cheapo place to eat? It's always good to get a local's perspective.

Don't worry about the dishwasher. When I was single I had one and didn't use it once. Actually when missFR was a baby we didn't have one either and I really didn't care that much. I do like it, but it's not the end of the world to do
Without.

Hope everyone had a wonderful day.

Old 05-08-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Happy MD to everyone!

Sorry about your grandma, ohio. Hope she makes a good recovery.

Yes, I'm coming to NY fri and sat. Going to take someone who's never been. I love doing that. We park at weehawken and get the ferry over. It's a thrilling sight if it's your first time.

That russian restaurant sounds like fun. I'm a bit rusty on my russian cuisine. What does one eat?
It's like dumplings and chicken and everything comes with sour cream.

Quote:
Do you know of any good authentic Thai? There's a bunch on 9th midtown but I'd really like to find a good real one, not too americanized. What's your absolute favorite cheapo place to eat? It's always good to get a local's perspective.
Funny you should mention it. I went for Thai today. It was good but nothing special. My friend was telling me about an awesome Tail place on Thompson st. Lemme see if I can find it.

Kittichai - New York Restaurant - MenuPages Thai Restaurant Search

For cheapo places I love to hit up china town. THere are also a lot of fun restaurants on 8th ave in the 20s.

You ladies will have to grab a drink at the top of the Standard (before 9:30 after that it becomes the new "studio 54") or on a Saturday after noon. The view is what I consider the best in the city. It will literally take your breath away.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:21 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
Ohiogirl, sometimes people make some recovery when the doctors give them no hope. My grandpa had a massive heart attack and was given a 20% chance to survive the night. He lived three more years. Yes, he didn't recover fully from it, but he did live to see two grandchildren get married, three more Christmases, and all that time with his family.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:45 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
We're heading to NYC in a few weeks too! I'll have young men with me so "ladies who lunch" type adventures won't be on my agenda.

Any ideas for the guys?

We're going to try to take the Harlem Hip Hop tour. It was sold out when we went last year.

We also didn't have time to kayak on the Hudson----it's free!

I like hanging out at the parks and watching the performers, going to the street fairs/flea markets, eating vendor food. Seriously, the vendor food in NYC is better than restaurant food here.

Last time, we had lunch at a restaurant in Little Italy that was delicious. We were going to eat in China Town but the kids got grossed out by the raw seafood in the 100 degree weather.

I love Confucius Park. Totally cool. Like walking into a different world from a different time.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We're heading to NYC in a few weeks too! I'll have young men with me so "ladies who lunch" type adventures won't be on my agenda.

Any ideas for the guys?
How old is everyone? Tortilla Flats has bingo on Mondays and Tuesdays and it's actually a RIOT and lots of people go to it. Winners get tequila shots. You can go if you are under age you just can't drink. It's really really funny.

Washington Square park is a great park for performers and street art.

If you want to do some kind of boating adventure I would do paddle boats in central park. It has a similar effect to kayaking but it takes way less time and is way more convenient and not to mention its $38 and $20 is a deposit you get back at the end.

Walking across the brooklyn bridge is fun. Also a walk down the west side high way is very scenic.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:20 PM

They're 19.

Loved Washington Square! Spent an afternoon there!

The bingo sounds like a blast! I'm glad they let minors inside. The guys will like it.

I'll definitely put the paddle boats on the agenda. We didn't do Central Park until our last evening there. We didn't get to see as much of it as we would have liked. It was dark by the time we got to the great lawn.

There's only so much we could fit into the week we were there. But we saw so much last time. We woke up early in the morning, ate breakfast and then caught a taxi to a different part of town each day. From wherever we got out, we walked many neighborhoods and hung out in every park we passed until we hopped back into a taxi at 9pm----straight 12 hours of walking everyday. I wasn't even tired until we got back to the hotel.

Last time, we saw Chinatown, Little Italy, Financial District, Battery Park, Greenwich Village, Soho, Tribeca, Chelsea, a little of the East Village, Midtown West, a little bit of Midtown East, Times Square of course, some warehouse district but I can't remember what it's called---it was north of Ground Zero, Central Park---and every single park that was in a neighborhood we walked through.

Should we venture to Brooklyn or any other neighborhoods outside of Manhattan?

Old 05-08-2011, 07:55 PM

[quote=Hopes;19069407]They're 19.

Loved Washington Square! Spent an afternoon there!

The bingo sounds like a blast! I'm glad they let minors inside. The guys will like it.
[quote]

Bingo IS a blast! Perhaps you will be there on a night I am there!

Quote:
I'll definitely put the paddle boats on the agenda. We didn't do Central Park until our last evening there. We didn't get to see as much of it as we would have liked. It was dark by the time we got to the great lawn.
Thats a shame! I love Central Park. It's fun to go in at Columbus Circle and walk around then you can exit at 77th street, which is right where Strawberry Fields is and the Dakota. It's such an impressive building. Looks like a real life castle.

The Highline park is also a cool thing. It starts at 20th & 11th ave and goes down to the meatpacking district. It's an elevated railroad they had converted into a park. It's fun for strolling along.

The High Line

Quote:
Should we venture to Brooklyn or any other neighborhoods outside of Manhattan?
I don't adventure into Brooklyn that much. But that's from a residential forum. People on the NYC forum rave about going to other boroughs but, I dunno, I think it's a waste of time sometimes.

You might want to check out St. Marks Place in the east village. It's a street of all little kooky cheap restaurants. The east village and the lower east side are really neat. Some cool shops. It's kind of "grundgy" still. I would go in the day and I also wouldn't adventure past Avenue C, because it gets a little rough. At night it turns into a really cool going out area for people in their 20s. '

Did you do any museums? There is an Alexander McQueen exhibit at the Met right now. It's a suggested donation, and they have TONS of private funding so don't feel pressured to shell out $20 a person. The MoMa is free on Sundays I believe.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Bingo IS a blast! Perhaps you will be there on a night I am there!
Maybe! That would be fun!

Quote:
Thats a shame! I love Central Park. It's fun to go in at Columbus Circle and walk around then you can exit at 77th street, which is right where Strawberry Fields is and the Dakota. It's such an impressive building. Looks like a real life castle.
We hung out in Strawberry Fields for a while before making it to the Great Lawn. We entered at Central Park South because we were staying at the Hilton. We exited somewhere in the 80s on the West Side and caught a taxi back.

We didn't do the subway because we figured out it was cheaper to take a taxi two to three times a day compared to buying the weekly subway pass for four people.

Quote:
The Highline park is also a cool thing. It starts at 20th & 11th ave and goes down to the meatpacking district. It's an elevated railroad they had converted into a park. It's fun for strolling along.

The High Line.
I just googled imaged it. We weren't there. Definitely worth checking out!

Quote:
You might want to check out St. Marks Place in the east village. It's a street of all little kooky cheap restaurants. The east village and the lower east side are really neat. Some cool shops. It's kind of "grundgy" still. I would go in the day and I also wouldn't adventure past Avenue C, because it gets a little rough. At night it turns into a really cool going out area for people in their 20s.
We'll definitely check it out. We were planning to spend more time on the East since most of our time was in the west last time. Thanks for the tips on where to avoid. We're street smart enough but it's always good to know in advance.

Quote:
Did you do any museums? There is an Alexander McQueen exhibit at the Met right now. It's a suggested donation, and they have TONS of private funding so don't feel pressured to shell out $20 a person. The MoMa is free on Sundays I believe.
I wish! I wish! This is not a museum group! Hopefully I can drag hubby along for this trip. He's always willing to do museums with me. My son and his friends are old enough to go out on their own in the afternoons---especially after learning how to get around on our previous trip.

Thanks for the tips!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.