Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 02:22 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,977,722 times

Advertisements

How do you get over the fights and the conflicts of two kids sharing one bathroom?

Do you have a bathroom schedule?
Do you have a time limit on how long showers can be or how long one person can take up the bathroom?

For the past month I have my new job, I work 3-11 Wednesday through Sunday, my schedule at work never changes. I get up at about noon or 1pm depending on how tired I am and I get in the shower shortly after getting up. In order to be on time I can't be getting OUT of the shower any later than 2pm.

Over and over and over again I have told both my mom and brother this.
AGAIN today, I go to get in the shower and he's in there. My mom knocks on the door, you're sister needs the shower, he ask "does she have work?" she doesn't answer his question and she says something else to him and hes like "I SAID....does she have work?!" she tells him yes. He takes like 15 more minutes to get out of the shower, with no care that its going to make me late for work.

When he has to be up at 6am to shower and get ready for school, I am NOT taking showers, on my days off I don't care when he showers because I can wait and take one whenever.

But when I have work, I MUST take a shower before work and be able to do it in enough time that I can also do my make-up and blow dry and straighten my hair, brush my teeth and pack a lunch and 1h45 minutes is enough time to do so I can leave for work at 2:50 and get there about 2:54 and clock in.

What's a good shower schedule method that works for you and your families?

Old 02-20-2011, 02:27 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,839,750 times
Considering you have to be at work so late why not get up a little earlier and shower. Getting up at 1 is really excessive.

I shared a bathroom with my sister and my mom, though she only showered and used the toilet, no grooming. We had two sinks so we would get ready together. We have a very small hot water tank so it takes a long time between showers. We never really ran into problems.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
I'd agree with getting up earlier if needed (you get home at 11 and sleep until 1? Really?). It may not be your ideal situation, but you are sharing a home with 2 other people. And no, it doesn't matter whether or not it's "fair" because, regardless of what's fair, you have to work with what you've got. Also, make up and hair drying/straightening can be done in your bedroom in front of a mirror.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:39 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,801,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
How do you get over the fights and the conflicts of two kids sharing one bathroom?

Do you have a bathroom schedule?
Do you have a time limit on how long showers can be or how long one person can take up the bathroom?

For the past month I have my new job, I work 3-11 Wednesday through Sunday, my schedule at work never changes. I get up at about noon or 1pm depending on how tired I am and I get in the shower shortly after getting up. In order to be on time I can't be getting OUT of the shower any later than 2pm.

Over and over and over again I have told both my mom and brother this.
AGAIN today, I go to get in the shower and he's in there. My mom knocks on the door, you're sister needs the shower, he ask "does she have work?" she doesn't answer his question and she says something else to him and hes like "I SAID....does she have work?!" she tells him yes. He takes like 15 more minutes to get out of the shower, with no care that its going to make me late for work.

When he has to be up at 6am to shower and get ready for school, I am NOT taking showers, on my days off I don't care when he showers because I can wait and take one whenever.

But when I have work, I MUST take a shower before work and be able to do it in enough time that I can also do my make-up and blow dry and straighten my hair, brush my teeth and pack a lunch and 1h45 minutes is enough time to do so I can leave for work at 2:50 and get there about 2:54 and clock in.

What's a good shower schedule method that works for you and your families?
I shower the night before so I'm not sleeping in my own filth. Problem solved.

Also, you're not "children." YOU are a full-grown adult. How did you manage to survive all these years before you discovered CD and found people to tell you how to schedule a shower? I mean really. This is ridiculous.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:46 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,203,663 times
Considering your family dynamics, txt, I'd get up a whole lot earlier. Sharing a bathroom requires consideration and respect within the family. Two things that seem to be in short supply in your circumstances. Set your alarm for 11 and do everything but the "needs water" stuff in your room.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:48 PM

22,610 posts, read 47,717,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

Also, you're not "children." YOU are a full-grown adult. How did you manage to survive all these years before you discovered CD and found people to tell you how to schedule a shower? I mean really. This is ridiculous.
Pretty much what I thought!
"Children sharing bathrooms".... please....

Old 02-20-2011, 03:27 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,977,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I'd agree with getting up earlier if needed (you get home at 11 and sleep until 1? Really?). It may not be your ideal situation, but you are sharing a home with 2 other people. And no, it doesn't matter whether or not it's "fair" because, regardless of what's fair, you have to work with what you've got. Also, make up and hair drying/straightening can be done in your bedroom in front of a mirror.
I CLOSE at 11, I get out at about 1115 I don't get home until maybe 1130, that's IF I go home straight after work, I don't go home straight after work, I go see my friends who get off work at either 10 or midnight, usually I get to sleep at about 3 or 4 because after going out I go home lay down, watch tv, get online and wind down for a bit.

I'm a night person, walmart is 24/7 I go grocery shopping at night if I need to because our walmart is a nightmare during the day. I do all my stuff after work.

Shouldn't my brother just be respectful of my work schedule and on the weekends, two days out of the week, just two because he showers in the morning during the week, shouldn't he just be respectful those two days a week you know because I'm the ONLY person working in that house?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I shower the night before so I'm not sleeping in my own filth. Problem solved.

Well I'm a morning shower kind of person. I shower before I go out, because I have two options if I shower at night and its either blow dry and straighten my hair the night before and sleep on it and it looks like crap or do it in the am after sleeping on it wet and it still look like crap.

I usually get about 8 to 9 hours of sleep a night so its not like I sleep excessively and if I were to get up early I'd never see my friends, never be able to go out at night with them, they all work the same shifts as me at their jobs and we all hang out after work.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
It sounds like the two of you take extremely long showers.

I try to have my kids aware of conservation, waste and no one takes an hour long shower. 5 to 10 minutes is more than enough time to shower.

I can't imagine a kid or an adult wanting to hang in the bathroom for an hour or longer - your brother may just be pulling this to provoke you.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:30 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,418,499 times
Perhaps rearrange some things/ Just realize your brother isn't going to consider your constraints.

For example, you could try packngg your lunch the night before, I always do, its such a time saver just to grab it out of the fridge on the way out the door.

Perhaps you could change your routine to shower at night? That may not work out for you, but maybe give it a try? Try having all your clothes laid out the night before so you just crawl into them and out the door.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:32 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
Quote:
Shouldn't my brother just be respectful of my work schedule and on the weekends, two days out of the week, just two because he showers in the morning during the week, shouldn't he just be respectful those two days a week you know because I'm the ONLY person working in that house?

See below:

Quote:
it doesn't matter whether or not it's "fair" because, regardless of what's fair, you have to work with what you've got. Also, make up and hair drying/straightening can be done in your bedroom in front of a mirror.

Real life isn't always about what seems fair to you. It's about dealing with reality. The reality is you prefer to shower in the morning before work. You need to be at work at 3. Knowing the shower may or may not be available exactly when you want it, get up in time that gives you some leeway so that you get to work on time even if you have to either shower earlier or later than you'd prefer. That's really all it boils down to. Make it work. Complaining that things aren't fair doesn't accomplish anything. You already know nothing will change in your family. So...work with it since complaining won't be productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting