Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 05:54 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times

Advertisements

I almost hate to say it but when I was young and doing 100 sit-ups every morning and had a flat-as-a-board belly you can bet I showed it off. Halter tops. I had a closet full of them. Shoot. I think I had micro minis. I'll have to ask DH. That's what the fashion was. That's what every girl in my group wore. Not to the office, but on week-ends? Absolutely. (My mother, who wore short-shorts herself in the 50's and tied her blouses to show off her midriff, taught me how to sit. You have to learn how to sit. Legs crossed at the ankles, not knees. The "Sacred Heart" sit.)

The second photo is just plain tacky. Not that the guy with her cares.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 07:00 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I think that someone can show some skin without looking 'slutty'.

In my opinion:

Slutty:

Sexy without being slutty:

Clearly, sexy and slutty are subjective. The only one I think is slutty is the one at the game. There's no reason for sideboob/underboob to be visible for that venue. The first girl looks like she's on her way to the beach. I don't see how the mini is any more slutty than a string bikini. Now, if she were on her way to a PTA meeting wearing that, then yes, slutty. Edited to add: that is clearly not the beach; its a beam and a brown sidewalk. I retract my non-slutty statement!

I have worn outfits similar to the last three because, frankly, I can. I have the body for it. If another parent would consider it to be slutty, honestly, I would think that they're "hatin."

Last edited by anadyr21; 02-22-2011 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: clearly can't differentiate between the beach and a sidewalk

Old 02-22-2011, 08:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I thought the whole tied up shirt thing wasn't in style anymore?
It's not in mainstream style, but there are probably areas of the country where it never goes out of style. I'm talking tied shirts, not merely showing middrift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Here is "sexy" without being "slutty"

http://www.pinkhues.com/wp-content/u...-hendricks.jpg
I don't really like that outfit....but I understand what you're trying to convey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda
Sexy is subjective, but I'm just trying to illustrate that you can show a little skin and not be considered a slutty dresser. Some people could interchange the midriff with legs or cleavage and it would be sexy to them. As long as it's not showing too much, it could be considered sexy without being slutty (for example, showing off the legs but covering your midriff/cleavage).
Definitely agree. Few people could show all three at once without looking slutty. If that's what you were trying to portray, why did you only chose photos with tied up shirts as examples of sexy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I almost hate to say it but when I was young and doing 100 sit-ups every morning and had a flat-as-a-board belly you can bet I showed it off. Halter tops. I had a closet full of them. Shoot. I think I had micro minis. I'll have to ask DH. That's what the fashion was. That's what every girl in my group wore. Not to the office, but on week-ends? Absolutely.
I've always been in fashion for my ages. Nothing wrong with that. Decades later, I still have great body, but I wouldnt' be wearing micro mini skirts now--even if they were in fashion. I recognize that I'm in my 40s. But I see nothing wrong with young mothers dressing their age. Just because they are mothers doesn't mean they shouldn't dress like their peers. It's only tacky when people continue dressing like 19 year olds when they're in their 40s. It has more to do with age than motherhood. It has more to do with dressing appropriately for a venue than it does motherhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anadyr21 View Post
The second photo is just plain tacky. Not that the guy with her cares.
Like anady, I assumed that was beach wear. Maybe she's not at the beach in the picture, but that skirt wouldn't be out of place as a beach coverup for a younger adult.

Quote:
I have worn outfits similar to the last three because, frankly, I can. I have the body for it. If another parent would consider it to be slutty, honestly, I would think that they're "hatin."
I never said the last three pictures were slutty. I said it wasn't sexy---as in not chic sexy. Maybe it's sexy in a country-bumpkin, cowgirl sort of way, but I don't live in the country or wherever there would be cowgirls. But, by all means, you go for it if you live in an area of the country where a tied shirt would be considered sexy or in style.

Last edited by Hopes; 02-22-2011 at 09:57 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile What you describe is more slutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
Yeah, slutty is more like it! lol
It's almost like you feel embarrassed for them. Not appropriate. I like a Jennifer Aniston look myself and if I looked half that good, I'd be really happy.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:54 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,145,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It's not in mainstream style, but there are probably areas of the country where it never goes out of style. I'm talking tied shirts, not merely showing middrift.

I don't really like that outfit....but I understand what you're trying to convey.

Definitely agree. Few people could show all three at once without looking slutty. If that's what you were trying to portray, why did you only chose photos with tied up shirts as examples of sexy?

I've always been in fashion for my ages. Nothing wrong with that. Decades later, I still have great body, but I wouldnt' be wearing micro mini skirts now--even if they were in fashion. I recognize that I'm in my 40s. But I see nothing wrong with young mothers dressing their age. Just because they are mothers doesn't mean they shouldn't dress like their peers. It's only tacky when people continue dressing like 19 year olds when they're in their 40s. It has more to do with age than motherhood. It has more to do with dressing appropriately for a venue than it does motherhood.

Like anady, I assumed that was beach wear. Maybe she's not at the beach in the picture, but that skirt wouldn't be out of place as a beach coverup for a younger adult.

I never said the last three pictures were slutty. I said it wasn't sexy---as in not chic sexy. Maybe it's sexy in a country-bumpkin, cowgirl sort of way, but I don't live in the country or wherever there would be cowgirls. But, by all means, you go for it if you live in an area of the country where a tied shirt would be considered sexy or in style.
I didn't want you to think that I was specifically singling out any of your statements; just saying that I didn't think that those last 3 outfits were slutty in general. And I agree with the "non chic sexy." I didn't specifically mean that I've worn the tied up shirt outfit; just that outfits that show a midriff, I don't necessarily consider to be slutty.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:55 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,533 times
Quote:
That's the way I see it.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:38 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,377,606 times
Eh, to me it's not a big deal...I can think of a lot worse things than moms dressing revealingly.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:43 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,139,533 times
Hi MM!

Old 02-23-2011, 06:38 PM

852 posts, read 1,364,882 times
I know a mom in her 40s who always bares her midriff or wears very tight, low cut shirts and mini-skirts. She's one of my favorite people, and I don't give a hoot how she dresses, but I will say that it's something that others have to get past with her. They make judgments about her. Unfair, but that's the reality of it.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:17 PM

831 posts, read 1,582,082 times
Ok, I guess I am in the minority. I wouldn't dress like any of those women at a family gathering. If I was at my daughters softball game and I saw a mom dressed like that I would have a negative opinion of her. If it's not OK for my 12/13 yr old daughter to wear it to the ball game then there is no way I would wear it to her ball game. Now if it is at a night club or something then dressing sexy/showing a lot of skin is expected. But this has opened my eyes to think that I may be a bit old fashioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting