Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:11 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times

Advertisements

This thread is worthless without a photograph or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 07:21 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,923,805 times
Putting everything on display is not sexy, i think some if these mothers are getting worried about their age, you know you are past it when you realise the guys are oggling your daughter and not you.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:27 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,140,673 times
I'm a mom, and I have to admit that I enjoy wearing shirts that show my midriff. I stay in shape and I really enjoy the bare-midriff style. My nine-year-old son doesn't have any issues with it, and he's never told me that it embarrasses him. If he did, then I'd consider altering my style, but as of now, he actually thinks that I "dress like a cool mom", as he puts it. Not that I would let 'coolness' dictate what I wear...it's more because I actually like this style and it's comfortable, especially living in a hot climate.

With that said, I have a self-imposed rule for fashion that I set forth for myself. For everyday dress, I make sure not to show too much skin. If I am wearing shorts or a skirt, then I'll wear a waist-length (or longer) top. If I wear jeans, then I'll either wear a regular-length top, or I'll wear a shirt and tie it in the front (midriff-style). Of course, there are certain scenarios in which I'd never wear a midriff shirt (my son's school functions, formal dinner with the family, etc.), but overall I do enjoy the bare midriff style.

One thing I've never been huge on, though, is showing cleavage. It's rare that I'll wear something with a plunging neckline.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:00 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
I dont see what being a mom has to do with it. Just because you have children dosent mean you have to dress a specific way. Now, inappropriate dress in a particular situation is inappropriate now matter who you are.

And honestly when your child reaches pre teen-teen yrs. just the fact that you are their parent embarrasses them.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:09 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,140,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I dont see what being a mom has to do with it. Just because you have children dosent mean you have to dress a specific way. Now, inappropriate dress in a particular situation is inappropriate now matter who you are.

And honestly when your child reaches pre teen-teen yrs. just the fact that you are their parent embarrasses them.
I agree. When I became a mom, I didn't want to start dressing a certain way just because it would be the expected thing to do. No one should have to abandon who they are or how they dress just because they become a mom.

Also, I agree with you in that inappropriate dress is that way no matter if you're a mom or not.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:25 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,509,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
What are your thoughts?
The whole "judging" other moms thing gets none of us anywhere

Old 02-22-2011, 11:38 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,011,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
The whole "judging" other moms thing gets none of us anywhere
Nobody is judging. We are all allowed our opinions. After all we are on a forum for discussions.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:00 PM

13,413 posts, read 9,945,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
Nobody is judging. We are all allowed our opinions. After all we are on a forum for discussions.
Alrighty then, let's discuss. What brought this topic on? Is there a mom at school that all the other mothers like to gossip about because she dresses inappropriately, according to some arbitrary standard that you picked?

Just because somebody is a mother doesn't mean they have to stop being true to themselves. And sexy is really subjective. What's classy to you is potentially downright Hoochie Mama to a Mormon.

If the way a parent dresses embarrasses a child, (and let's face it, they're going to be embarrassed regardless) then that's between the child and their mother - it's not for you to decide whether the child is embarrassed or not. Maybe they love their Mom the way she is. Maybe she's a great Mom and they don't want her to change. I dunno - and neither do you, you're so busy judging that you'll probably never know.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:54 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,901,337 times
Personally, I think it sounds like judging to me. Why waste time discussing issues like how other mother's dress? Does this really impact one's parenting? I highly doubt it does, and this is a parenting board.

Example: I was at the gym and there was a lady in low rise, short, tight shorts (think short biking shorts) and workout top which showed her cleavage. Well she was very fit, looked great in the outfit, and come on we are at the gym and she was wearing gym clothes.

A few feet away there were women who would not look so great in her outfit, cattily discussing their opinions as you say, and judging her. Now does it effect them? No. Would they look good in that outfit? No. But it made them feel better about not looking as good as her to belittle her and judge her for it.

What is worse, wearing a so called inappropriate outfit or judging those that do?

Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,952,491 times
I find it interesting that some will say a woman who dresses in a way they deem inappropriate must have no self esteem. Maybe they just don't give a crap what others think and will dress however they please. Maybe their children could care less how their mother dresses.

Have I ever/would I ever wear a micro skirt or a top that showed my stomach at my child's school? Not, but that's just me. Would I were low rise jeans? Yes, and I do - I'm very, very small and they are about all that comfortably fit and I don't want to wear "mom" jeans.

If you have a child commenting on how you look and what you wear, then you need to sit them down and have a little talk with them about respect.

I guess I'm lucky because my son could care less about what I wear, but then, he's also one of those kids that could care less about fitting in and what others think. I have a very large back piece tattoo. I always have made it a point though to not wear clothes where it would be seen if I was ever up at my son's school (he's 17 by the way). But one time back when he was in middle school, we were at a hobby store together and I happened to be wearing a tank top. 2 girls from his school that I've also known since he was in kindergarten were there.

I apologized to him - I thought maybe he was embarrassed. He told me, "mom, I could care less. It doesn't bother me at all." I've always appreciated that about him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting