Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 01:12 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,940,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
And sexy is really subjective. What's classy to you is potentially downright Hoochie Mama to a Mormon.
Oh my gosh. I'm a Mormon and I don't exactly dress like I just stepped off a polygamist compound or something. Everybody I know thinks my clothes are gorgeous. (And no, I don't just mean other Mormons.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 01:14 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,140,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
I find it interesting that some will say a woman who dresses in a way they deem inappropriate must have no self esteem. Maybe they just don't give a crap what others think and will dress however they please. Maybe their children could care less how their mother dresses.

Have I ever/would I ever wear a micro skirt or a top that showed my stomach at my child's school? Not, but that's just me. Would I were low rise jeans? Yes, and I do - I'm very, very small and they are about all that comfortably fit and I don't want to wear "mom" jeans.

If you have a child commenting on how you look and what you wear, then you need to sit them down and have a little talk with them about respect.

I guess I'm lucky because my son could care less about what I wear, but then, he's also one of those kids that could care less about fitting in and what others think. I have a very large back piece tattoo. I always have made it a point though to not wear clothes where it would be seen if I was ever up at my son's school (he's 17 by the way). But one time back when he was in middle school, we were at a hobby store together and I happened to be wearing a tank top. 2 girls from his school that I've also known since he was in kindergarten were there.

I apologized to him - I thought maybe he was embarrassed. He told me, "mom, I could care less. It doesn't bother me at all." I've always appreciated that about him.
That's a great outlook he has, and I applaud him for that. He obviously doesn't care about how you dress or how other people might perceive what you wear. As long as a parent isn't outright embarrassing their child (i.e. wearing a tube top to a PTA meeting), I don't think there's anything wrong with wearing what you want, as long as it doesn't make your kid uncomfortable.

Like I said before, I like wearing bare-midriff shirts (and navel rings). But I never wear anything that would make my son uncomfortable to be around me. I'd never wear one of my midriff shirts/halter tops to one of his school functions, for example. He has no problem with what I wear, but if my son were to ever tell me that he was embarrassed by my style or the clothes I wear, then I'd change things up a bit.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:23 PM

13,414 posts, read 9,944,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Oh my gosh. I'm a Mormon and I don't exactly dress like I just stepped off a polygamist compound or something. Everybody I know thinks my clothes are gorgeous. (And no, I don't just mean other Mormons.)
Yep, that's why I said "potentially". No offense meant. And I didn't say Mormons were polygamist, or had compounds.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:14 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,730 times
Why not dress sexy?
Cripes a womans body is seen (for better or worse) generally as beautiful.

I think we should be thankful that we live in a society where women do not have to cover up to remain safe. That for the most part men look but don't touch.

There seems to be some weird attitude? in society that says as soon as you reach a certain age, you need to cover it all up. To me that implies that you or your body at least are not good enough. Hide it because you are ashamed of it.

Sexuality is a part of all of us and why deny it. Live it, love it. God made it.

To me women should dress "sexy" at any and every age. Especially mothers. Cripes they have just done the most sexual thing possible - procreated. They should be out there.

I was talking to a mother the other day and she does beach volley ball. You know they do it in a bikini. She is 40. Her comment was "when you fit, you don't mind showing off your body. you feel good about your self"

To me a mother who dresses sexy is saying that she is comfortable with being female.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:22 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
I am talking about those moms who have their shirts cut off or pulled up to show off their midriff's and have their cleavage hanging out, and wearing low rise pants/shorts/mini skirts with their thongs sticking out. Have you seen them? The ones who dress sexy around their children. I think these kids are embarrassed with the way their mom dresses? I know I would be!

I personally think it's inappropriate for a mom to walk around like that. A woman can be sexy in so many ways. But as a mom, don't you think they need to cover up. I don't mean like a nun. But dress appropriately. In fact, my kids are the first to tell me that I have too much makeup on (when I think I don't). But out of respect for my kids, I tone it down.

What are your thoughts?

Kids will someday turn 18 and move out..or unless they are paying the bills
If mom wants to go around looking slutty, thats her prerogative

Old 02-22-2011, 03:25 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post

My best friend is a mormon....she too never dressed like she was afraid her skin would burn..lol...

Old 02-22-2011, 03:42 PM

I think that someone can show some skin without looking 'slutty'.

In my opinion:

Slutty:

Moderator cut: image removed

Sexy without being slutty:

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2014 at 04:39 AM..

Old 02-22-2011, 04:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Amanda, I'm not so sure what you think is sexy about those last three pictures.

OMG, that girl should hide all that blubber and find other ways to make herself look sexy! She's showing off her worst feature for goodness sake!

And I'm not even advocating that women need to dress conversatively. I just completely do not see SEXY in any of those picture posted as examples of sexy.

Clarification: I'm not saying they look slutty. I'm just saying that's not sexy.

Last edited by Hopes; 02-22-2011 at 04:55 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 02-22-2011, 05:00 PM

Sexy is subjective, but I'm just trying to illustrate that you can show a little skin and not be considered a slutty dresser. Some people could interchange the midriff with legs or cleavage and it would be sexy to them. As long as it's not showing too much, it could be considered sexy without being slutty (for example, showing off the legs but covering your midriff/cleavage).

Old 02-22-2011, 05:02 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,939 times
I thought the whole tied up shirt thing wasn't in style anymore? I don't really like to show off my stomach in the first place so it was never something I did. To me, it is very trashy.

Here is "sexy" without being "slutty"

http://www.pinkhues.com/wp-content/u...-hendricks.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting