Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2010, 03:44 PM

1,192 posts, read 1,816,357 times

Advertisements

Those who let their child/ren drink alcohol with their supervision would you all also let your child try heroin or any other drugs? I guess I don't see the point of letting an underage child try alcohol,what are they to gain from doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 03:47 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,514,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetchas View Post
Those who let their child/ren drink alcohol with their supervision would you all also let your child try heroin or any other drugs? I guess I don't see the point of letting an underage child try alcohol,what are they to gain from doing this?
Why on earth would I let my kids try heroin or other drugs whether they were aged 10 or 70?

As for the latter half of your question, several people have already provided several answers. What do you gain by continuing to belabor the point?

Old 09-27-2010, 03:49 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,988,798 times
Quote:
No-I would not let my child try heroin or other drugs. That's preposterous.

Alcohol is legal for adults and eventually most people do drink it. It makes sense to me to teach a child to drink at home, and to give him some experience with alcohol before he can drink as much as he wants legally.

There is no moral equivalency between allowing a teenager to have a beer at home and allowing a teenager to shoot up heroin. Besides-I have no idea how to obtain heroin or to shoot it up. I can get beer at the supermarket and it's a pretty simple matter to take the cap off of the bottle.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,900,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb03 View Post
The majority of these laws are very location specific and not true for all.

You can disagree with my actions but I can say that I have a very good knowledge of my daughter's behavior towards alcohol under my boundaries, she's open about the issue and she's so far respecting where she stands (we don't seem to be facing a contradiction issue).

I can't say where things would be with your forbidden stance...
If you're so knowledgeable about your daughter's behavior, and so confident that you're right, then why did you create a thread asking for the opinions of others?

You asked. Several people have answered. You don't like the answers, don't ask the question.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Why on earth would I let my kids try heroin or other drugs whether they were aged 10 or 70

As for the latter half of your question, several people have already provided several answers. What do you gain by continuing to belabor the point?
The same reason you keep responding.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:10 PM

707 posts, read 1,470,763 times
Quote:

To be quite honest there is no difference between 16 or 21 year old. I know many 16 year olds who are far more responsible than 21 year olds. Alcohol is legal, drugs are not.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:13 PM

208 posts, read 271,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
If you're so knowledgeable about your daughter's behavior, and so confident that you're right, then why did you create a thread asking for the opinions of others?

You asked. Several people have answered. You don't like the answers, don't ask the question.
As a parent you can never think that you're 100% confident or believe yourself to be 100% right...or claim that your stance will never change. Things are working right now for my daughter and I. Things haven't worked so well in the past. The future I still think about.

I was hoping to hear how other parents approach it - or how they approached it with children who are now grown.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
To be quite honest there is no difference between 16 or 21 year old. I know many 16 year olds who are far more responsible than 21 year olds. Alcohol is legal, drugs are not.

True but at 21 you're considered an adult who can make adult choices at 16 you're still a minor no matter how mature you are.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:52 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,764,964 times
I didn't drink until it was legal for me to do so. My parents didn't forbid it, they just let me know, as they did with a lot of things, that a criminal record would completely ruin my life and wasn't worth a few hours of fun. I'm still terrified of being arrested or doing anything that would get me into trouble, I've never even had a traffic ticket. When I was old enough for it to be legal I was also old enough to know how to behave responsibly, which in my mind is one of the biggest reasons the legal age is 21. There are more than enough years to drink ahead of you that you don't need to do it at 16.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:01 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,764,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In my case, and I think someone else's, we were referring to Europeans who allow their children to have an occasional wine or beer at the table. In Europe wine or beer is used as a part of the meal, for children also, not to drink to get drunk. My daughter's boyfriend is the pastor of a bible-type church. They are from Germany and this is their customary thing to do, to have wine or beer with a special dinner on special occasions, such as Christmas or New Year's Day. They do not in any way approve of misuse of alcohol, but they do believe that if alcohol is used as part of the meal they way it is meant to be, the children will not view it as something forbidden or something to be used for intoxication.
I always hear this argument where allowing your child to drink underage is being discussed. I'm European and grew up in two different countries, as well as having friends from several European countries. It's not normal at all to give children beer and wine with meals in Europe. There may be a sip of champagne at a wedding after the age of 12-13, or a very small glass of wine after 15-16 at Christmas, but the drinking age in most European countries is 16 for beer and wine and 18 for spirits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting