Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 07:09 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,786,916 times

Advertisements

Safety advocates are urging Congress and regulators to force carmakers to install warning systems that would prevent distracted parents from leaving children in cars, preventing heatstroke deaths.

At least 41 children have died already this year in hot cars, more than any previous year at this point. August was the deadliest month on record, according to the advocacy group Kids and Cars.

Should cars warn when there's a child inside on hot days? - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 07:11 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,360,828 times
How can you forget you have a child?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:19 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,358,324 times
Yes of course they should do that. If it will save one child's life then it is worth it. I'd be willing to pay a extra is it will save a life. Not everyone in this world is normal and responsible unfortunately and no one is going to be able to change that.

Last edited by KylieEve; 09-01-2010 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: .

Old 09-01-2010, 07:27 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,405,927 times
no- why should we have to pay the extra costs this will pass to the consumer just because some irresponsible people can't remember they have children in the car? It's not just a matter of cost but taking personal responsibility for your own actions and not depending on government to think for you. Talk about Big Brother!!!!!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:27 AM

4,563 posts, read 10,983,333 times
Maybe instead of forcing car manufacturers to install something in a car (that will raise prices) because some parents are distracted, maybe we should be doing something about the distracted parents.

How distracted and self involved have people gotten that they need a reminder they have a child in the car. Really?

At some point people need to take responsibility and the government not have to keep stepping in to save everyone from themselves.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:49 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,100,329 times
I can't find any number to support this, but I've had a feeling that since the Laws were changed requiring Kids to be in the back seat in car/seats the number of heat deaths has gone up. Would be intresting to know how many kids died sitting in the front seat, vs kids dieing from heat in the back because they are out of view of parents getting out of the car.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:00 AM

852 posts, read 1,369,570 times
Parents aren't necessarily distracted because they'ree self-involved. They're overworked, overscheduled, under-rested, and in some cases, over-medicated. Three years ago, when my thyroid quit functioning, I was so foggy that I would literally lose my car in the Target parking lot. I couldn't remember things for more than a couple of minutes. I wrote myself lists of reminders like "make sure your keys are in your purse," and yes, "check the backseat for the kids," and taped them in my car. I carried legal pads with me so that I could write everything down. But still, I didn't have the luxury of not running the errands, not working, and not managing my household. It was a terrifying time, and I am so thankful that my children were not babies or that nothing horrible happened during that awful year, which is how long it took for my doctors to get my condition under control.

Yes, car manufacturers could add that kind of an option for parents who might want it. If a van or suv can have a built in dvd player, it can certainly have something that will help keep children safe.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:49 AM

4,563 posts, read 10,983,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucygirl951 View Post
Parents aren't necessarily distracted because they'ree self-involved. They're overworked, overscheduled, under-rested, and in some cases, over-medicated. Three years ago, when my thyroid quit functioning, I was so foggy that I would literally lose my car in the Target parking lot. I couldn't remember things for more than a couple of minutes. I wrote myself lists of reminders like "make sure your keys are in your purse," and yes, "check the backseat for the kids," and taped them in my car. I carried legal pads with me so that I could write everything down. But still, I didn't have the luxury of not running the errands, not working, and not managing my household. It was a terrifying time, and I am so thankful that my children were not babies or that nothing horrible happened during that awful year, which is how long it took for my doctors to get my condition under control.

Yes, car manufacturers could add that kind of an option for parents who might want it. If a van or suv can have a built in dvd player, it can certainly have something that will help keep children safe.
I'm sorry you went through that and it does sound stressful. But in all honesty, if you were that foggy, should you have been operating a motor vehicle in the first place?

Or if someone is over-medicated or under- rested. They are putting their child at risk driving in general if driving - not just maybe accidentally leaving them in a hot car.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:43 AM

848 posts, read 1,959,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
no- why should we have to pay the extra costs this will pass to the consumer just because some irresponsible people can't remember they have children in the car? It's not just a matter of cost but taking personal responsibility for your own actions and not depending on government to think for you. Talk about Big Brother!!!!!
Exactly!

Enough of the nanny state and government intrusion into every crevice of our lives. It's getting wildly out of control.

What happened to personal responsibility?

Old 09-01-2010, 09:55 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,355,424 times
Since I live where it gets VERY hot I have to say "yes". For the sake of the child if nothing else. Death by heat in a locked car is tremendously gruesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting