Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:43 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,044,544 times

Advertisements

I personal like the idea of a Alarm on a KeyChain Fob, The seat alarm sends out a coded signal to the fob, then the weight pressure is triggered. If the fob no longer gets the signal the alarm goes off on the FOB. So If you take your key out walk few feet to get your mail it won't trigger. Go more then 10? feet the alarm goes off. Would come stardard on all car seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 07:57 AM

181 posts, read 299,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
If you dont' live in Alabama, California or Ohio, you better keep a pair of sandles under your front seat that you can quickly slide onto your feet.
I'm liking that idea.............................

Old 09-02-2010, 08:00 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,219,272 times
My biggest problem with this idea is the way new technology to meet government requirements can cause problems. The Toyota excelleration issue is the result of a glitch in the software technology created to meet government regulations for anti-lock breaks.

How would this 'hot car warning system' work in hot areas of the country if a car airconditioner is broken? Or if someone starts driving before the airconditioner has had a chance to cool down the car? Will the alarm go off as someone is driving down the road with the windows open?

It can get easily over 100 degress inside a car even when a person is driving. Outside temps have been in the mid-90s almost all summer where I live. I can just imagine how hot it is in other areas of the country that are typically hot. Just imagine living in Arizona, Texas or New Mexico and your car alarm constantly going off while you're driving your car or sitting in traffic at a light.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:04 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,975,309 times
This appears to be an urban legend

Traffic Ticket Urban Legends (http://www.edmunds.com/advice/youngdrivers/articles/125550/article.html - broken link)

Quote:
The "Driving While Barefoot" Law: The claim is that you can be ticketed for driving barefoot. However, there is no state that regulates proper footwear for operating a motor vehicle, with the exception of Alabama, where it is prohibited to drive a motorcycle while barefoot. Several states, though, explicitly recommend, but do not mandate the use of shoes while driving.
Usenet source
http://web.archive.org/web/200306181..._barefoot.html

Old 09-02-2010, 08:12 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,044,544 times
I would not make the alarm Temp sentive, Cold can Kill to. Would make it distance sentive from key/Fob holder with a long life batterys (lithium) that would last for the lenght of time child would be in seat.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:47 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,917,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I have never forgotten my kids. I am a SAHM so whenever I go somewhere without them I keep checking the rear-view mirror because it is my reflex.
me too. Thought I was the only one LOL.

Its been a hectic time in my life this past month or two, and nothing has been in our normal routine. I recently went out with two of my four children. One of the ones at home was napping when I left. I knew that, but I did not get a mental picture of him being at home - kind of like when you walk around and check that the stove is off, the coffee pot is off, etc... before you go out. I like to do a visual "inventory" of the kids - who is coming, who is staying home, etc... I had to call my husband to check on him and assure me he was at home with him when I got somewhere because I was pushing down the urge to run back out to the van to check to make sure I did not leave him in there. All of these reports of the kids being left in cars has made me so anxious about doing the same thing.

These stories this summer remind me of when my kids were infants and I would have the recurring "left the baby somewhere" nightmare.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:54 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,075,419 times
Quote:
It should be something in the car seat. A pressure sensor like front seats have now for air bags and a thermometer. If the pressure sensor detects a child and the thermometer hits a certain temperature an alarm should go off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
That is an awesome idea. Why not build it into the car seats.
And how will the car know if I left a child in the car or a box of books I am dropping off for donation, or groceries, or the kid's school back pack? Others have already mentioned the problems of making it heat sensitive.

If anything it should be an OPTION on the car but I'm not for anything mandated for every vehicle.

It makes more sense to have something built into the child safety/booster seat than the car itself.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:30 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,758,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
And how will the car know if I left a child in the car or a box of books I am dropping off for donation, or groceries, or the kid's school back pack? Others have already mentioned the problems of making it heat sensitive.

If anything it should be an OPTION on the car but I'm not for anything mandated for every vehicle.

It makes more sense to have something built into the child safety/booster seat than the car itself.
I guess you miss understood. To me a car seat is what you call child safety/booster not the regular seats in the car. Regarding the temperature I was thinking for it to be really high like 120 for others to notice a forgotten child before it was too late. Not really for a parent to remember his/her child as I still can't fathom how someone would do that. Because some people do leave the kids in the car on purpose.

Old 09-02-2010, 01:23 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,075,419 times
Quote:
I guess you miss understood. To me a car seat is what you call child safety/booster not the regular seats in the car. Regarding the temperature I was thinking for it to be really high like 120 for others to notice a forgotten child before it was too late. Not really for a parent to remember his/her child as I still can't fathom how someone would do that. Because some people do leave the kids in the car on purpose.
I guess I did misunderstand. I think most people would think that a car seat refers to the seats already in the car....what else would you call them, lol??
A safety seat, baby seat, child seat, booster seat....are all seats to accommodate children. I assumed you meant the regular car seat, especially since you referred to the weight sensors already installed in front car seats.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:05 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,780,489 times
I personally think it is a bit unnecessary, but just for information purposes, Volvo actually developed a technology for this and it was available as part of a package on the S80 sedan. If it was mandated, it wouldn't be hard to put technology in.

The Volvo system had a heartbeat sensor in the car that could detect whether a person or animal was in the car. Some of you may remember the commercial with the woman in the dark parking lot seeing the sensor go off on her remote and there was someone hiding in her car. They played up the criminal aspect, but the system was designed primarily for people who may leave kids or pets in the car.

Given the advancements of two way communication with the car (the new Chevy Volt let's you use your smartphone like a remote) and the technologies being available, it wouldn't be hard to implement.

I could see them using the heartbeat sensor to detect whether anyone is inside the car. Additionally a lot of cars (virtually all GM) are capable of starting the car remotely and controlling the HVAC. It's simply to put two and two together. If the system detects someone in the car it alerts the driver via the key fob or their phone. If the temperature exceeds a certain mark it automatically starts the car and turns on the A/C or heat. If the gas runs out, the car could be set to automatically unlock the car and open the windows if it's hot. Additionally, tied in with a system like Ford's Sync or GM's OnStar the car would even have the capability of notifying the police.

These technologies exist, but making it standard in every car would add some considerable expense and given what a minor issue it really is, is it really worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting