Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 01:06 PM

546 posts, read 2,203,377 times

Advertisements

please share your experience on this, my son is about 4 and a half and I send him to preschool for only 3 days a week, he's learning a lot ,but when he's at home with me the other 2 school days, I always wonder if he's missing out learning at school, like his learning process will be 2 days a week slower than the other kids. The reason behind just sending him 3 days a week to school was so I can get to spend more quality time with him since I do not work and I didn't want him to be dreadfully tired from school at such a young age and also get sick so often, then by the time he goes to Kindergarden, he might not like school after going to school every single day during preschool years. What's your input on this?

another thing is, the kindergarden here has morning and afternoon classes to choose from, in your opinion, do you think if I select an afternoon class, that will kind of mess my son's schedule and by the time he goes to grade 1st, he'll not be used to the morning class, since all grade 1st and up classes starts early in the morning? I would think not, otherwise, they wouldn't have afternnoon kindergarden classes availalbe. In fact, this school only has 1 morning Kindergarden class and 2 afternoon classes....if the school thinks it'll affect the kids at grade first for this kind of afternoon schedule, then they wouldn't have offered it in the afternoon, am I correct?

Old 11-14-2008, 01:40 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,065,064 times
I don't think pre-school even existed when the likes of Einstein, or Bill Gates, or Ben Franklin, or Abe Lincoln, or etc., etc., etc. were young and look what THEY accomplished. Do you not have enough confidence in yourself to prepare you child for grade school on your own? THEIR mother's did.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:46 PM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,367 times
I think you're worrying too much. I think the 3 days is just fine to get him socialized and have him learn what they would like him to know when he gets to kindergarten.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:19 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
My 4 yr old goes to pre-school 3 days a week @ 2.5 hrs per. 12:30 to 3:00pm.

Last year when we lived in Fort Worth when she was 3 yrs old she went for 2 days a week @ 4 hrs per day. 9:00am to 1:30pm with a 30 min break for lunch.

She loves pre-school. She's always so excited to go but on her off days she doesn't complain because she doesn't get to. So I think it's about right for her age. I don't want to get her burnt out on school before she HAS to go every day for 7 hrs.

Old 11-14-2008, 02:49 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,430,664 times
3 days a week is just fine. Recently, I've come across articles that do say that a good preschool can help out a child, but only a good one. A mediocre or bad one doesn't help and can probably hurt in some instances. Primarily, at this age it's about socializing with children their own age and learning to follow directions, work with others in a group setting, etc. Socialization.

You are over-thinking this. So, relax!! 3 days a week is fine. Zero days a week would be fine, too. If you like having him home, please don't give that up, as they're only that little for so long. Soon enough you'll have to beg to get hugs, probably.

As far as kindergarten goes, choose the schedule that works best for your family. And, make sure it's what works best for your family and not only your son.

Old 11-14-2008, 03:55 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times
Preschool is really not necessary at all, so dont' worry about sending him for "only" three days.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:04 PM

546 posts, read 2,203,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
My 4 yr old goes to pre-school 3 days a week @ 2.5 hrs per. 12:30 to 3:00pm.
does that mean you need to pick her up almost like right away? do you work? mines goes from 8:30am to 3:30pm with lunch, so he could learn to have lunch with others. mines is the only child. also, does your nap after school due to the afternoon schedule? thanks for sharing.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:29 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
please share your experience on this, my son is about 4 and a half and I send him to preschool for only 3 days a week, he's learning a lot ,but when he's at home with me the other 2 school days, I always wonder if he's missing out learning at school, like his learning process will be 2 days a week slower than the other kids. The reason behind just sending him 3 days a week to school was so I can get to spend more quality time with him since I do not work and I didn't want him to be dreadfully tired from school at such a young age and also get sick so often, then by the time he goes to Kindergarden, he might not like school after going to school every single day during preschool years. What's your input on this?

another thing is, the kindergarden here has morning and afternoon classes to choose from, in your opinion, do you think if I select an afternoon class, that will kind of mess my son's schedule and by the time he goes to grade 1st, he'll not be used to the morning class, since all grade 1st and up classes starts early in the morning? I would think not, otherwise, they wouldn't have afternnoon kindergarden classes availalbe. In fact, this school only has 1 morning Kindergarden class and 2 afternoon classes....if the school thinks it'll affect the kids at grade first for this kind of afternoon schedule, then they wouldn't have offered it in the afternoon, am I correct?
My son & I are enrolled in a Mommy & Me class that is offered by the school he will be attending for preschool. He is 3 & thus not as advanced as a 4 1/2 yr old, but I enrolled us in the Mommy & Me class based on some of the concerns you shared. I am really happy I did b/c it has calmed A LOT of concerns I had & made me more at ease with the traditional school system (though I am still at great odds with government interference in education). We were considering sending him to preschool 4x/wk and kindergarten 5 days, full day but realize after being able to be part of this start of his schooling that was very much overkill & overwhelming. While he can spell some words & knows the alphabet, etc, he is still emotionally a toddler & there is only so much a teacher can do for that part of his development. There are some things that parents can only do & I think that is found in the home during infancy & the toddler years. They will be in full time school when they are capable of handling it

After being able to go to a school setting with him & watch him in that setting & be part of it, I am very, very comfortable with him attending pre-3 for 2 days a week & then pre-4 for 4 days a week. At this time, we really only want him in kinder for 1/2 day/ 3 or 4 times a week.

As for the nap schedule...I am all for AM if possible. It just works more smoothly in our home. I also have an infant & hope to have my toddler napping up until kindergarten (or least quiet time), so I do focus on AM offerings. I think toddlers need some down time & do best with that down time in early afternoon.

Most schools offer kindergarten based on demand along with the school's logistics in scheduling teachers, aides, & bussing. In an area near us, the school levy did not pass. The school day will be ending differently along with bussing, so PM kinder has been stopped b/c it interferes with bussing & scheduling.

Your child will learn to adjust to 1st grade over time regardless if he goes to kindergarten in the AM, PM, or at all!

Your son is not missing anything b/c you are involved with his learning. Don't get overly worried at this age. Just enjoy the amazement & fun they have at this age with learning & take advantage of it with him. Truly, he's learning the most from you at this time & the extra you provide definitely helps, especially with socialization if he is the only child in the home. On a side note, maybe get involved in offerings at the library & rec center. They offer some really neat things & good social outlets,especially as winter nears if you live in a colder area.

Last edited by 121804; 11-14-2008 at 04:37 PM..

Old 11-15-2008, 06:23 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
My 4 1/2 year old son goes three mornings a week. Two of those three days he stays a little longer for lunch. Last year he only went two mornings a week. It's the norm here, unless people are putting their kids in daycare. There really is no reason to push for preschool every day, certainly not all day preschool. Even our kindergarten is only half day.

You are definitely stressing over it way too much.

Old 11-15-2008, 02:32 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
I wouldn't think that afternoon classes would mess your son's internal schedule up. Remember, there is a whole summer between kindergarten and 1st grade. For our son, morning classes would be better because he has more energy and focusses better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting