Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,356,554 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Aks. It's hard when you're torn between "doing the right thing" and maintaining a friendship. I think we have it figured out, but we're not quite there yet.

Off to the dentist. yippee...... there's my vent for today!

Old 04-14-2011, 12:53 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,042,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
Todd, thanks for commenting. There's a lot more going on than my posts have indicated, unfortunately. DH and I have been helping this guy out for quite a while, now, both before and since his wife passed away. We've been taking him on his errands at least once a week; there's a local organization that drives him to medical appointments (they don't do groceries); DH helps him with repairs, etc.; I made his plane reservations for his upcoming trip north for his wife's memorial. He is a very hard headed person who is intent on proving to others (and himself) that he can do it on his own. He refuses to involve his children. I wish I could say this in a kinder manner, but he is a very obnoxious and rude person unless you know how to deal with him. He has burned so many bridges in this community that very few people will offer to help OR he just plain doesn't like them, so he won't ask them for help.

The night his wife passed, DH and I were the ones there for him. We took him to hospice in the middle of the night, stayed there for him in case he needed anything, and I was the one holding his wife's hand when she passed away. They'd been married for 61 years and she did everything for him, including putting on his socks in the morning.

So I think we've covered those bases. There comes a point when, as hard as you try, someone will not accept your help or listen to you when you offer. We have tried involving his sons in the past to no avail. I am considering calling one of the sons, but am not sure how to approach them. As far as a ticket, I'm not sure that the police would do so without witnessing his driving.

I really don't want to hijack this thread, but I felt I needed to explain that it's not the simple situation that it appears to be. There's a lot more going on here than I've explained, even in this overly long post.

Now....on to our regularly scheduled thread.

Thanks for explaining, and thats nice you have been helping him. I wonder if you contacted his kids and when they visit him, they just drive his car away. Or go into the garage and put his car up on blocks. Do they have power of attorney over his affairs? I'm sure its hard losing the one closest to you and then seeing you just arent capable of doing the simple things you used to do. I worry about all that myself. Reasoning with him isnt working, its probably a combination of his being a hard head and not seeing things clearly. I'm sure it continues to cause you extra stress too, as you have been trying to help him and then worry he may injure himself or others if he drives again. I'm glad you care and lets hope for the best.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:30 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,356,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Thanks for explaining, and thats nice you have been helping him. I wonder if you contacted his kids and when they visit him, they just drive his car away. Or go into the garage and put his car up on blocks. Do they have power of attorney over his affairs? I'm sure its hard losing the one closest to you and then seeing you just arent capable of doing the simple things you used to do. I worry about all that myself. Reasoning with him isnt working, its probably a combination of his being a hard head and not seeing things clearly. I'm sure it continues to cause you extra stress too, as you have been trying to help him and then worry he may injure himself or others if he drives again. I'm glad you care and lets hope for the best.
Bingo!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:06 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,416,438 times
friends who don't do like u think friends should. I suppose I shouldn't get too caught up, but I thought a person I chatted with was kinda sorta a good friend. We had a difference of opinion on social issues and the person wrote me a rather condescending note. Now perhaps I misunderstood... I thought the person really wanted my perspective... Needless to say I responded honestly and earnestly and I have not heard from that person since. Now I know the internet is just the internet, but that is kinda crappy. I suppose u should not discuss religion, politics or race with anyone unless you really know them. This person and I disagree on allot of stop and agree on some. I would never stop speaking due to the difference in opinion. I thought guys were beyond that kind of behavior.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:24 PM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,230,977 times
I'm tired of driving in the rain and every weekend for the last three weeks it has rained on my travels home...now I watch the news and its calling for rain again.....I want a break

Old 04-14-2011, 07:30 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,042,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I suppose u should not discuss religion, politics or race with anyone unless you really know them.
Sorry, I wouldn't think this person should have stopped communicating with you or sent you a smarty note, you were just expressing your opinion. Even when you think you know people well it can happen. It's strange how quickly people will just stop speaking to someone they have known well via the internet, and over trivial things. That true of men and women. Maybe that's just how people are now a days regarding friendships. You can either write a brief note saying you thought he really wanted your perspective and you felt bad how he reacted, or just let it go and if he contacts you again, ok, if not... that's the way the internet rolls.

Old 04-14-2011, 08:00 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,530,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Sorry, I wouldn't think this person should have stopped communicating with you or sent you a smarty note, you were just expressing your opinion. Even when you think you know people well it can happen. It's strange how quickly people will just stop speaking to someone they have known well via the internet, and over trivial things. That true of men and women. Maybe that's just how people are now a days regarding friendships. You can either write a brief note saying you thought he really wanted your perspective and you felt bad how he reacted, or just let it go and if he contacts you again, ok, if not... that's the way the internet rolls.
There was someone I met online that deleted me on facebook over a status update. I anticipated some people might take the status the wrong way, but I posted it anyway. Apparently she took the status the wrong way.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:32 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,097,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
There was someone I met online that deleted me on facebook over a status update. I anticipated some people might take the status the wrong way, but I posted it anyway. Apparently she took the status the wrong way.
Are we EVER going to hear the end of this?

She deleted you. It's over. Move on already! People have deleted me too! Sometimes they come back and it's great, sometimes they don't. But you still have to live your life. Continuing to whine about this in every venting thread you can find is not going to bring her back. It's time to look forward. Rather than focusing on the one who walked away, count your blessings and focus on those who remain.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:09 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,230,977 times
I am mad happy that I am not on facebook or have ever used it.

anyone I see or listen to on it does nothing but complain, I am tired of hearing about it!

Old 04-15-2011, 07:01 AM

24,665 posts, read 70,086,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Oh good grief.

My vent for today is related to people obsessively attached to Facebook who have mental internet breakdowns over deletions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics