Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 10:00 PM

21,745 posts, read 8,888,223 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, November 5, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Scorpio. Some of the famous people born on this date are historian Will Durant; actresses Vivien Leigh, Elke Sommer, Andrea McArdle, Tatum O’Neal and Tilda Swinton; actors Roy Rogers, Joel McCrea and Luke Hemsworth; musicians Ike Turner, Art Garfunkel, Bryan Adams and Kevin Jonas; basketball legend Bill Walton; American football player Odell Beckham, Jr.; British writer-host-fashion designer Alexa Chung; writer Joyce Maynard and celebrity businesswoman Kris Jenner.

Today’s Questions:
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare?

Do you decorate for the holidays? If so, what do you do?

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust?

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward?

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person?

When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank?

In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does?

Today in History
1492 – Christopher Columbus is introduced to corn (maize) by the native people of Cuba.
1605 – Guy Fawkes Day. The “Gunpowder Plot” attempted by Catholic conspirator Guy Fawkes is foiled when he is captured before he can blow up Parliament. The holiday is traditionally celebrated with the burning of a Guy Fawkes effigy in a bonfire followed by fireworks.
1639 – The American colonies’ first post office is opened in Massachusetts.
1773 – John Hancock is elected as moderator at a Boston town meeting, where it is resolved that anyone who supports the Tea Act (which was not a tax but gave the British East India company an unfair advantage on tea imports) is “an enemy to America.”
1789 – French National Meeting declares that all French citizens are equal under the law.
1872 – Suffragette Susan B. Anthony votes for Ulysses S. Grant in the U.S. presidential election. [I wonder how, if women were not allowed to vote?]
1895 – First patent for a gasoline-powered automobile is granted to George B. Selden.
1916 – The Kingdom of Poland is established by the emperors of Germany and Austria-Hungary.
1917 – World War I: General Pershing and U.S. troops see action for the first time on the Western Front.
1935 – Parker Bros. launches the game of Monopoly.
1937 – Adolf Hitler, in a secret meeting with his military leaders, announces his intention to go to war.
1940 – Franklin D. Roosevelt wins an unprecedented third term as U.S. president.
1946 – John F. Kennedy elected to the U.S. Senate.
1956 – The Nat King Cole Show premieres on NBC, the first television variety program hosted by an African-American. It will be cancelled after one season due to lack of sponsors.
1967 – The Hither Green railroad crash in the U.K. kills 49 people. Bee Gee Robin Gibbs is among the survivors.
1968 – Richard Nixon is elected U.S. president; defeating Democrat Hubert Humphrey and segregationist George Wallace.
1973 – OPEC announces a 25% cut in oil production.
1979 – Ayatollah Khomeini declares the United States “The Great Satan.”
1992 – Bobby Fischer defeats Boris Spassky for the world chess title.
2000 – Iraqi president Saddam Hussein and two co-defendants are sentenced to death for the massacre of 148 Shi’ia Muslims in 1982.
2007 – China’s first lunar satellite goes into orbit around the Moon.

Word of the Day:
rumbustious adjective (British, informal)
1. boisterous or unruly.
Example:
“Clear to him now, and his departure will make clear to any other politicians in Westminster that behaviour they might have laughed off or treated as part and parcel of the rumbustious life is not acceptable and is not, it seems, acceptable to Number 10.”

www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-4184000

Quote of the Day:
“Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.”
- Will Durant

Today is:
Guy Fawkes Night (Great Britain)
First day of Standard Time (U.S.)
Book Lovers Day
International Games Day
Bank Transfer Day (U.S.)
National Love Your Red Hair Day (Ireland)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 10:15 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,052,164 times
Today’s Questions:
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare?
Nada, zip, zilch and not going to.

Me decorate? Like that will happen.

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust?
My clocks are smarter than I am. They all know how to turn back on their own.

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward?
It took me many years of continual therapy but I am now OK with it. OK with it. OK with it. OK with it...Sorry, just a little relapse. A couple cheap beers and I should be OK.

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person?
I have not had any checks for several years.

Last week.

In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does?
I might be a mutt but I am pretty sure there is no Irish Setter in me. I know lots of people with red hair.

Today is:
Bank Transfer Day (U.S.)
National Bank Of Alaskan Mutt is open 24 hours a day to receive money transfers

Last edited by Alaskan Mutt; 11-04-2017 at 10:31 PM..

Old 11-04-2017, 10:22 PM
bjh

60,527 posts, read 30,685,166 times
Today’s Questions:
Not a thing.

Not for a while. Used to do the whole Christmas tree and lights.

None yet. I thought I was doing good planning to change the alarm clock before bed.
There are definitely a few others that need adjusting today or tomorrow.

I think it's a bunch of malarky
and should be done away with permanently.

Almost exclusively electronic at this time.

The other day. But I stopped to use their sparkly clean, private bathroom.

I don't have red head hair, but some of my beard hairs are red.

Quote of the Day:
- Will Durant

Thanks, Bay! You rock!

Happy Sunday, everyone.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:16 PM

24,790 posts, read 28,738,893 times
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, November 5, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Scorpio. Some of the famous people born on this date are historian Will Durant; actresses Vivien Leigh, Elke Sommer, Andrea McArdle, Tatum O’Neal and Tilda Swinton; actors Roy Rogers, Joel McCrea and Luke Hemsworth; musicians Ike Turner, Art Garfunkel, Bryan Adams and Kevin Jonas; basketball legend Bill Walton; American football player Odell Beckham, Jr.; British writer-host-fashion designer Alexa Chung; writer Joyce Maynard and celebrity businesswoman Kris Jenner.

Today’s Questions:
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare? Nothing.. Just a Tin Scrooge

Do you decorate for the holidays? If so, what do you do? As above.. bah humbug.. gotten to commercial.

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust? Wait till morning and some were between the 2nd -3rd cup of coffee the brain will kick in.. Hard enough remembering central time and eastern time.. when it's just down the mountain..

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward? If we went to all the same time us Old Folks would miss the early bird..

When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank? The other day.. It's a brick bank

Today in History
1492 – Christopher Columbus is introduced to corn (maize) by the native people of Cuba.
1605 – Guy Fawkes Day. The “Gunpowder Plot” attempted by Catholic conspirator Guy Fawkes is foiled when he is captured before he can blow up Parliament. The holiday is traditionally celebrated with the burning of a Guy Fawkes effigy in a bonfire followed by fireworks.
1773 – John Hancock is elected as moderator at a Boston town meeting, where it is resolved that anyone who supports the Tea Act (which was not a tax but gave the British East India company an unfair advantage on tea imports) is “an enemy to America.”
1789 – French National Meeting declares that all French citizens are equal under the law.
1872 – Suffragette Susan B. Anthony votes for Ulysses S. Grant in the U.S. presidential election. [I wonder how, if women were not allowed to vote?]
1895 – First patent for a gasoline-powered automobile is granted to George B. Selden.
1916 – The Kingdom of Poland is established by the emperors of Germany and Austria-Hungary.
1917 – World War I: General Pershing and U.S. troops see action for the first time on the Western Front.
1937 – Adolf Hitler, in a secret meeting with his military leaders, announces his intention to go to war.
1940 – Franklin D. Roosevelt wins an unprecedented third term as U.S. president.
1956 – The Nat King Cole Show premieres on NBC, the first television variety program hosted by an African-American. It will be cancelled after one season due to lack of sponsors.
1967 – The Hither Green railroad crash in the U.K. kills 49 people. Bee Gee Robin Gibbs is among the survivors.
1968 – Richard Nixon is elected U.S. president; defeating Democrat Hubert Humphrey and segregationist George Wallace.
2000 – Iraqi president Saddam Hussein and two co-defendants are sentenced to death for the massacre of 148 Shi’ia Muslims in 1982.

Word of the Day:
1. boisterous or unruly.
Example:
“Clear to him now, and his departure will make clear to any other politicians in Westminster that behaviour they might have laughed off or treated as part and parcel of the rumbustious life is not acceptable and is not, it seems, acceptable to Number 10.”

Quote of the Day:
- Will Durant

Today is:
Guy Fawkes Night (Great Britain)<< Is he related to Benny Hill
Book Lovers Day
International Games Day
Bank Transfer Day (U.S.)

Thanks Bay

Old 11-04-2017, 11:59 PM

62,620 posts, read 88,737,296 times

Today’s Questions:

Nothing. Way too early.

If I don't host a party (we rotate every 4 years), I just do an exterior door decoration, and centerpieces around the house. Perhaps a small real X-Mas tree for the scent.

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back?
I was reminded by the news

How many clocks did you have to adjust?
I have no idea. Many. The main are radio controlled, the kitchen, TV and other gadgets will be adjusted on the go, and so the wrist watches.

Whoever invented it should be given Darwin Award, and put in asylum. Too late now...

I do electronic banking since it was available to public, only two stubborn places still expect me to write a check...
Sometimes I visit the banks in person.

About 10 days ago.

My natural hair has reddish tone, but dyed now to Rose Gold. My coworker has beautiful Red Copper hair.

Today in History
1872 – Suffragette Susan B. Anthony votes for Ulysses S. Grant in the U.S. presidential election. [I wonder how, if women were not allowed to vote?] <<< Explained here: http://www.americanheritage.com/cont...lysses-s-grant

Word of the Day:
1. boisterous or unruly.
Example:

Quote of the Day:
- Will Durant

Today is:
Book Lovers Day
International Games Day
Bank Transfer Day (U.S.)

Thank you baya!!!
Have a restful Sunday, peeps!!

Last edited by elnina; 11-05-2017 at 01:18 AM..

Old 11-05-2017, 12:02 AM

671 posts, read 450,463 times
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare? Nope

Do you decorate for the holidays? If so, what do you do? Nope. Just another day to me. Used to, though.

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust? none

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward? I like it getting dark around 7pm, myself.

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person? Online

When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank? Last month

In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does? I don't, but my nephew does.

Old 11-05-2017, 12:09 AM

44,757 posts, read 62,163,916 times
Today’s Questions:
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare? Nothing.

Do you decorate for the holidays? If so, what do you do? Very little decoration anymore. Small table top tree and a few little things strung around.

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust? O

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward? I wish there were just one time all the year around all over the country by eliminating dst.

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person? Both.

When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank? Years, we use a credit union instead of a bank.

In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does? Brother.
thanks bay

Old 11-05-2017, 12:20 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,880,811 times
Today’s Questions:
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare? I've bought a turkey, and a few small gifts.

Do you decorate for the holidays? If so, what do you do? Shortly after Thanksgiving we'll visit a neighbor's tree farm and cut our Christmas trees. I'll buy a wreath and garland & decorate the house a bit. I love having a real tree in the house.

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust? Have done, there are only two to change.

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward? I am looking forward to having a bit more light in the morning. It does mess with the kid's schedules though.

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person? Do a bit of both.

When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank? I was at the credit union a couple weeks ago; it's been longer since I've been to the bank.

In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does? Son-in-law has red hair and one of the teachers has as well. She's married to a redhead and they have two beautiful red haired, blue eyed little girls.

Thanks, Bay! Enjoy your day, all!

Old 11-05-2017, 03:47 AM

37,871 posts, read 41,298,274 times
Today’s Questions:
Nothing

Don't decorate

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust? I remembered. I just changed my watch. I'll do the microwave and stove in a bit. It's the car clock I have to remember to do.

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward? Since retired it's not that important anymore. Used to mean more when I had to go out to work in the morning.

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person? I don't answer these kind of questions on line.

When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank? In April.

Love red hair. Always wished I had it. Nephew has red hair.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:10 AM

8,009 posts, read 5,461,763 times
Good Morning

Today’s Questions:
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare? Nothing yet--usually I have a few gifts tucked away that I found among my travels--but I have nothing.

Do you decorate for the holidays? If so, what do you do?Very little decorating. I did more when I had children living here.

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust? Yes, about eight.

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward? Since I go to bed around 7:30pm, I like it getting dark earlier.

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person? Online banking/transfer!

When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank? Actually last week, had to close an account.

In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does? I do know a couple of people with red hair.

Today in History

Word of the Day:
1. boisterous or unruly.
Example:

Quote of the Day:
- Will Durant

Today is:
Book Lovers Day
International Games Day
Bank Transfer Day (U.S.)
National Love Your Red Hair Day (Ireland)[/quote]

Have a super duper day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics