Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 04:33 AM

11,416 posts, read 9,345,989 times

Advertisements

Today’s Questions:
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare?

Do you decorate for the holidays? If so, what do you do?

N/A to both (I don't celebrate).

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust? - Yes, in my apartment, just one.
Our power when out last night during our stormy evening for a couple of seconds so it was done then.

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward? - Leave the clocks alone.

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person? - The only bill that gets paid by paper check is my rent.

When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank? - 2 weeks ago.

In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does?
I do not. The only person I know who does is a clerk at one of the stores I frequent.

Thanks, Bay.
Hope everyone has a good Sunday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 04:34 AM

36,504 posts, read 16,100,755 times
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare? Nothing, doubt I will do anything.

Do you decorate for the holidays? If so, what do you do? Since my brother and SIL come up here and Dad walks over, I usually do a small fiber optic tree and other things, but don't know if I will this year.

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust? I did 4 yesterday, will do the car this morning, if I remember how

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward? I'm all for set it and forget it

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person? Online banking

When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank? I go occasionally to cash a check.

In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does?
I do.....now

Old 11-05-2017, 05:24 AM

4,709 posts, read 3,291,487 times
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, November 5, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Scorpio. Some of the famous people born on this date are historian Will Durant; actresses Vivien Leigh, Elke Sommer, Andrea McArdle, Tatum O’Neal and Tilda Swinton; actors Roy Rogers, Joel McCrea and Luke Hemsworth; musicians Ike Turner, Art Garfunkel, Bryan Adams and Kevin Jonas; basketball legend Bill Walton; American football player Odell Beckham, Jr.; British writer-host-fashion designer Alexa Chung; writer Joyce Maynard and celebrity businesswoman Kris Jenner.

Today’s Questions:
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare?..................I have my Thanksgiving decor out but nothing is done for Christmas. I'm not in the mood for the holidays this year.

Do you decorate for the holidays? If so, what do you do?..................I do a couple of trees and decorate the living room, dining room, kitchen, guest bathroom and front porch.

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust?............Yes, we did them last night before we went to bed. I still have the vehicles to do. I think we do about 8 clocks.

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward?..................I'd stay on daylight savings time if I could.

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person?................Other than online banking I use all of the above depending of what I'm dealing with.

When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank?....................A couple of weeks ago.

In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does?.............I don't have red hair but I do get red highlights every now and then. I know people with beautiful red hair.

Today in History
1492 – Christopher Columbus is introduced to corn (maize) by the native people of Cuba.
1605 – Guy Fawkes Day. The “Gunpowder Plot” attempted by Catholic conspirator Guy Fawkes is foiled when he is captured before he can blow up Parliament. The holiday is traditionally celebrated with the burning of a Guy Fawkes effigy in a bonfire followed by fireworks.
1639 – The American colonies’ first post office is opened in Massachusetts.
1773 – John Hancock is elected as moderator at a Boston town meeting, where it is resolved that anyone who supports the Tea Act (which was not a tax but gave the British East India company an unfair advantage on tea imports) is “an enemy to America.”
1789 – French National Meeting declares that all French citizens are equal under the law.
1872 – Suffragette Susan B. Anthony votes for Ulysses S. Grant in the U.S. presidential election. [I wonder how, if women were not allowed to vote?]
1895 – First patent for a gasoline-powered automobile is granted to George B. Selden.
1916 – The Kingdom of Poland is established by the emperors of Germany and Austria-Hungary.
1917 – World War I: General Pershing and U.S. troops see action for the first time on the Western Front.
1935 – Parker Bros. launches the game of Monopoly.
1937 – Adolf Hitler, in a secret meeting with his military leaders, announces his intention to go to war.
1940 – Franklin D. Roosevelt wins an unprecedented third term as U.S. president.
1946 – John F. Kennedy elected to the U.S. Senate.
1956 – The Nat King Cole Show premieres on NBC, the first television variety program hosted by an African-American. It will be cancelled after one season due to lack of sponsors.
1967 – The Hither Green railroad crash in the U.K. kills 49 people. Bee Gee Robin Gibbs is among the survivors.
1968 – Richard Nixon is elected U.S. president; defeating Democrat Hubert Humphrey and segregationist George Wallace.
1973 – OPEC announces a 25% cut in oil production.
1979 – Ayatollah Khomeini declares the United States “The Great Satan.”
1992 – Bobby Fischer defeats Boris Spassky for the world chess title.
2000 – Iraqi president Saddam Hussein and two co-defendants are sentenced to death for the massacre of 148 Shi’ia Muslims in 1982.
2007 – China’s first lunar satellite goes into orbit around the Moon.

Word of the Day:
rumbustious adjective (British, informal)
1. boisterous or unruly.
Example:
“Clear to him now, and his departure will make clear to any other politicians in Westminster that behaviour they might have laughed off or treated as part and parcel of the rumbustious life is not acceptable and is not, it seems, acceptable to Number 10.”

www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-4184000

Quote of the Day:
“Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.”
- Will Durant

Today is:
Guy Fawkes Night (Great Britain)
First day of Standard Time (U.S.)
Book Lovers Day
International Games Day
Bank Transfer Day (U.S.)
National Love Your Red Hair Day (Ireland)

Old 11-05-2017, 06:04 AM

2,292 posts, read 1,440,324 times
Today’s Questions:
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare?

Nothing.

Tree.

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust?

A couple of digital clocks and a couple of wall clocks. I still have to do my Swatch Watch collection.

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward?

I don't like "shorter" days.

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person?

Electronic.

When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank?

A couple of weeks ago when I thought my account was hacked. Spoiler: it wasn't. It was Amazon's fault and they fixed it.

Know someone.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:15 AM

9,770 posts, read 14,341,793 times
Today’s Questions:
For Thanksgiving/Autumn, I have the exterior front door trim decorated with orange/yellow miniature lights and garlands of leaves, same type of leaves down the front steps railings, mums, and pumpkins....and autumn door decoration. Inside, pumpkin display on coffee table, autumn place mats on kitchen table.
For Christmas I do more, and have a plan for outside and inside. I don't do the blow up things in the yard, but try to keep the decor tasteful and keeping with our historic home....white miniature lights, fresh pine boughs, fresh wreaths, and small Christmas tree on the front porch. Inside, it will look like a "wonderland" to me (to others, maybe crazy) ...miniature lights and garland around pillars which divide the first floor rooms, fresh poinsettias up the stair steps, etc. Big tree in foyer will be decorated with white lights, yards of spiraled burgundy/pink ribbon and old fashioned ornaments. I found that I can buy 15-20 small, live, poinsettias cheaper at WalMart than 3-4 bigger ones, and spread the color around. We'll have a family party one evening before Christmas Day, and I've got my Christmas music CDs ready for playing, and of course, Christmas candles. Everything starts for Christmas decorating the day after Thanksgiving, and comes down Jan. 10th, or so. Yeah, I'm nuts about decorating, and YES, I'm excited.

Do you decorate for the holidays? If so, what do you do? See above. I love decorating for holidays.....all holidays. I'm so thankful that at age 77 I can climb around, decorate, entertain, and enjoy all of this.

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust? We did that this morning, 5 times

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward? useless....one more thing to do

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person? In person for us, since we're such a short distance from our bank

When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank? last week, but drive through bank almost every day for our business

In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does? no

Thanks Bayarea. Have a wonderful Sunday!

Last edited by rdlr; 11-05-2017 at 06:56 AM..

Old 11-05-2017, 06:33 AM

5,918 posts, read 3,824,417 times
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, November 5, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Scorpio. Some of the famous people born on this date are historian Will Durant; actresses Vivien Leigh, Elke Sommer, Andrea McArdle, Tatum O’Neal and Tilda Swinton; actors Roy Rogers, Joel McCrea and Luke Hemsworth; musicians Ike Turner, Art Garfunkel, Bryan Adams and Kevin Jonas; basketball legend Bill Walton; American football player Odell Beckham, Jr.; British writer-host-fashion designer Alexa Chung; writer Joyce Maynard and celebrity businesswoman Kris Jenner.

Today’s Questions:
Uhhhhh....nothing.

Yes, I put up two small trees and lighted garland, lights in the windows

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust?
I forgot until I woke up, what a nice surprise to be able to roll over and go back to sleep for an extra hour. I only have to reset two clocks.

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward?
No I'm not ok with it, I wish they would just stop it

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person?
I pay most of my bills online, very rarely have to write a check

Probably two months ago

My mother has natural red hair, my grandfather had red hair, my Aunt and a nephew also. My natural color is brunette with red highlights

Today in History
1492 – Christopher Columbus is introduced to corn (maize) by the native people of Cuba.
1605 – Guy Fawkes Day. The “Gunpowder Plot” attempted by Catholic conspirator Guy Fawkes is foiled when he is captured before he can blow up Parliament. The holiday is traditionally celebrated with the burning of a Guy Fawkes effigy in a bonfire followed by fireworks.
1773 – John Hancock is elected as moderator at a Boston town meeting, where it is resolved that anyone who supports the Tea Act (which was not a tax but gave the British East India company an unfair advantage on tea imports) is “an enemy to America.”
1789 – French National Meeting declares that all French citizens are equal under the law.
1872 – Suffragette Susan B. Anthony votes for Ulysses S. Grant in the U.S. presidential election. [I wonder how, if women were not allowed to vote?]
1895 – First patent for a gasoline-powered automobile is granted to George B. Selden.
1916 – The Kingdom of Poland is established by the emperors of Germany and Austria-Hungary.
1917 – World War I: General Pershing and U.S. troops see action for the first time on the Western Front.
1937 – Adolf Hitler, in a secret meeting with his military leaders, announces his intention to go to war.
1940 – Franklin D. Roosevelt wins an unprecedented third term as U.S. president.
1956 – The Nat King Cole Show premieres on NBC, the first television variety program hosted by an African-American. It will be cancelled after one season due to lack of sponsors.
1967 – The Hither Green railroad crash in the U.K. kills 49 people. Bee Gee Robin Gibbs is among the survivors.
1968 – Richard Nixon is elected U.S. president; defeating Democrat Hubert Humphrey and segregationist George Wallace.
2000 – Iraqi president Saddam Hussein and two co-defendants are sentenced to death for the massacre of 148 Shi’ia Muslims in 1982.

Word of the Day:
1. boisterous or unruly.
Example:
“Clear to him now, and his departure will make clear to any other politicians in Westminster that behaviour they might have laughed off or treated as part and parcel of the rumbustious life is not acceptable and is not, it seems, acceptable to Number 10.”

Quote of the Day:
- Will Durant

Today is:
Book Lovers Day
International Games Day
Bank Transfer Day (U.S.)

Old 11-05-2017, 06:41 AM

3,206 posts, read 2,510,658 times
Today’s Questions:

We still have our fall decorations so, no not yet for Christmas as it is too early

Just some holiday swags outside

Hubby always does the microwave and stove. Everything else is auto. Trucks the nw t time I am in one.

I would prefer one or the other, not change, like most of Arizona.

I do both. I pay cash where there is a charge for cards. Pay bills on line, pay with check if record needed.

Last week to cash check and deposit coins.

I have red highlights. Love red hair, sorry it is becoming rare.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:10 AM

7,406 posts, read 5,520,534 times
Today’s Questions:
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare? I started Christmas shopping.

Do you decorate for the holidays? If so, what do you do? yes. Tree, lights, the usual.

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust? 7

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward? I wish we could leave the clocks alone.

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person? I do half and half

In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does? I don't have red hair but know many people who do.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:22 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,474,870 times
We will be spending Christmas with good friends. I am making a cookbook for her, buying a book for him and getting them a driveway alert. That is the extent of my preparations for the holidays, lol.

None

I changed the microwave clock but will have to change it again when we move the rv which is every other day for now. All others are automatic.

I hate this time of year.

Regular bills are done electronically. Had to write a check for a contractor yesterday.

Three weeks ago. Needed a bank check for a closing and it took them an hour. Problems with the computers

Not now.

Happy Sunday.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:30 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,399,027 times
Today’s Questions:
Nothing yet.

Do you decorate for the holidays?
If so, what do you do?
Nothing.

Yes. I had to adjust 4 clocks.

I'm fine with the change. Before retirement I really appreciated not having to drive to work in the dark.

A couple of months ago.

No and yes.

Today in History

Word of the Day:
1. boisterous or unruly.
Example:

Quote of the Day:
- Will Durant

Today is:
Book Lovers Day
International Games Day
Bank Transfer Day (U.S.)

Thank you, BA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics