Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 08:27 AM

11,556 posts, read 12,107,324 times

Advertisements

The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare? Nothing
Do you decorate for the holidays? No If so, what do you do?

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust? Yes, and there are 5 clocks

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward? Get rid of the time changes

When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank? Last month

In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does? No red hair, and don't know anyone with red hair

Thanks for posting and have a fun Sunday!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 09:18 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,242,818 times
[quote=Bayarea4;50033827][font=&quot]Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, November 5, 2017.
Today’s Questions:
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare?My family will decorate for Thanksgiving and Christmas.Because small GrandChildern will be visiting we will decorate inside and out. If it were not for the kids personally I would be Happy to put a wreath on the door and forget it.
If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust?Some like cell phones and computers are automatically adjusted. We had 5 which needed to be adjusted.

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward?I personally would be fine with one year around time

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person?
They make electronic so easy why write checks and pay for postage??
When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank?A few months ago to see some one in the office. Haven't been to a teller in a couple of years.

In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does?We have Irish on my side of the family and my son has 2 redheaded daughters.
Thanks Bay Area Hope all have a safe and happy Sunday

Old 11-05-2017, 10:24 AM

3,097 posts, read 1,706,052 times
[quote=Bayarea4;50033827][font=&quot]
Today’s Questions:
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare? The sideboard is decked out with big fake pumpkins and it looks great. Bought some fall-colored napkins and paperplates for T-day desert. That's it. I will begin Christmas cards and shopping later in the month.

Do you decorate for the holidays? If so, what do you do? The sideboard decorations is it. For Christmas I decorate inside only.

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust? The only ones we adjust are the alarm clocks. We don't bother with the rest ~ we just quickly adapt to reading the clocks differently. How's that for laziness?

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward? Doesn't bother me nearly as much as it does most people. But if it had to remain set at one, do it in the spring. I like it when it's lighter later in the summer.

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person? [b] EFT and checks. I will not do online banking.B]

When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank? Actually inside was almost 2 months ago. But I go there to use the ATM all the time.

In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does? I've known many red-heads. One of my friends is, although she's lightened it to a blonde now.

Thanks, Bay.

Old 11-05-2017, 10:47 AM

24,633 posts, read 26,192,709 times
Today’s Questions:
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare?
Nothing

Do you decorate for the holidays? If so, what do you do?
Not to much these days. Put out some snow globes, a few wreathes and some nativity stuff.

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back?
I remembered, I just didn't do it.

How many clocks did you have to adjust?
5 including my watch.

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward?
I would like to try a couple of years without changing the time to see if I would like it.

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person?
It took awhile for the retired book keeper Super Chief to embrace electronic banking. Very few checks are written anymore.

When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank?
For personal stuff it's been years, for the organization we belong to about 6 weeks ago.

In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does?
My brother had red hair, I'm sure I had some co workers that had red hair too.

Thanx BayArea4.

Old 11-05-2017, 11:38 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,859,192 times
[quote=Bayarea4;50033827]Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, November 5, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Scorpio. Some of the famous people born on this date are historian Will Durant; actresses Vivien Leigh, Elke Sommer, Andrea McArdle, Tatum O’Neal and Tilda Swinton; actors Roy Rogers, Joel McCrea and Luke Hemsworth; musicians Ike Turner, Art Garfunkel, Bryan Adams and Kevin Jonas; basketball legend Bill Walton; American football player Odell Beckham, Jr.; British writer-host-fashion designer Alexa Chung; writer Joyce Maynard and celebrity businesswoman Kris Jenner.

Today’s Questions:
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare?
Yikes. I'm still putting Halloween away. I have to do the attic today.
Um not much. I have a flicker candle for each window and they all turn themselves off and on. I have a projector that projects snowflakes. I might aim the star shower at the tree outside. I have a few ornaments that hang on the front porch. Inside I put icicles on the chandelier. I have a little village, a very tiny tree for antique ornaments, and a couple of lighted garlands. Will I get around to doing it this year? I don't know.
If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust?
We didn't do it yet. We have 6 to adjust including the car and truck.
What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward?
I think they're a pain in the rear. I like falling back because it feels like I have more time. I wish they'd just leave it like this.
Paper for me.
A couple of days ago to deposit the rent checks.
In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does?
No and no.
Today in History
1492 – Christopher Columbus is introduced to corn (maize) by the native people of Cuba.
1605 – Guy Fawkes Day. The “Gunpowder Plot” attempted by Catholic conspirator Guy Fawkes is foiled when he is captured before he can blow up Parliament. The holiday is traditionally celebrated with the burning of a Guy Fawkes effigy in a bonfire followed by fireworks.
1639 – The American colonies’ first post office is opened in Massachusetts.
1773 – John Hancock is elected as moderator at a Boston town meeting, where it is resolved that anyone who supports the Tea Act (which was not a tax but gave the British East India company an unfair advantage on tea imports) is “an enemy to America.”
1789 – French National Meeting declares that all French citizens are equal under the law.
1872 – Suffragette Susan B. Anthony votes for Ulysses S. Grant in the U.S. presidential election. [I wonder how, if women were not allowed to vote?]
1895 – First patent for a gasoline-powered automobile is granted to George B. Selden.
1916 – The Kingdom of Poland is established by the emperors of Germany and Austria-Hungary.
1917 – World War I: General Pershing and U.S. troops see action for the first time on the Western Front.
1935 – Parker Bros. launches the game of Monopoly.
1937 – Adolf Hitler, in a secret meeting with his military leaders, announces his intention to go to war.
1940 – Franklin D. Roosevelt wins an unprecedented third term as U.S. president.
1946 – John F. Kennedy elected to the U.S. Senate.
1956 – The Nat King Cole Show premieres on NBC, the first television variety program hosted by an African-American. It will be cancelled after one season due to lack of sponsors.
1967 – The Hither Green railroad crash in the U.K. kills 49 people. Bee Gee Robin Gibbs is among the survivors.
1968 – Richard Nixon is elected U.S. president; defeating Democrat Hubert Humphrey and segregationist George Wallace.
1973 – OPEC announces a 25% cut in oil production.
1979 – Ayatollah Khomeini declares the United States “The Great Satan.”
1992 – Bobby Fischer defeats Boris Spassky for the world chess title.
2000 – Iraqi president Saddam Hussein and two co-defendants are sentenced to death for the massacre of 148 Shi’ia Muslims in 1982.
2007 – China’s first lunar satellite goes into orbit around the Moon.

Word of the Day:
rumbustious adjective (British, informal)
1. boisterous or unruly.
Example:
“Clear to him now, and his departure will make clear to any other politicians in Westminster that behaviour they might have laughed off or treated as part and parcel of the rumbustious life is not acceptable and is not, it seems, acceptable to Number 10.”

www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-4184000

Quote of the Day:
“Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.”
- Will Durant

Today is:
Guy Fawkes Night (Great Britain)
First day of Standard Time (U.S.)
Book Lovers Day
International Games Day
Bank Transfer Day (U.S.)
National Love Your Red Hair Day (Ireland)

Thanks bay dear one. One more day of taking down Halloween. The house looks so boring What kind of a mind prefers skeletons and monsters to Christmas trees and wreaths

Old 11-05-2017, 12:47 PM

39,139 posts, read 23,122,777 times
Today’s Questions:
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare? I got some of my Christmas lights up and running outside under the eaves of my roof. Also started buying a couple of Christmas gifts.

Do you decorate for the holidays? A little bit. If so, what do you do? As mentioned above, Christmas lights outside. Inside I will just get some red and yellow poinsettia plants in lieu of taking out my "Charlie Brown" table-top Christmas tree.

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? Yes, I started yesterday afternoon. How many clocks did you have to adjust? About 10.

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward? I'd rather keep it at one or the other all year. That's one thing our next-door neighbor Arizona doesn't have to worry about.

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person? Almost all my banking is done online and I do electronic transfers between accounts and financial institutions.

When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank? This past summer but I bank with a credit union, not a bank. The only reason was to get a replacement debit card because mine had developed a crack and I was afraid it might get stuck inside the ATM slot.

In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does? I don't have red hair but know some people who do.

Enjoy the extra hour on your Fun Day Sunday!

Old 11-05-2017, 04:31 PM

126,442 posts, read 19,210,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, November 5, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Scorpio. Some of the famous people born on this date are historian Will Durant; actresses Vivien Leigh, Elke Sommer, Andrea McArdle, Tatum O’Neal and Tilda Swinton; actors Roy Rogers, Joel McCrea and Luke Hemsworth; musicians Ike Turner, Art Garfunkel, Bryan Adams and Kevin Jonas; basketball legend Bill Walton; American football player Odell Beckham, Jr.; British writer-host-fashion designer Alexa Chung; writer Joyce Maynard and celebrity businesswoman Kris Jenner.

Today’s Questions:
The holiday season is upon us (gulp). What, if anything, have you done to prepare?.......I made already a list to whom I am sending this year my German Christmas cookies and stollen and Baumkuchen.I will begin in a week....also I designed all my Christmas cards to send out in December.

Do you decorate for the holidays?...Yes.... If so, what do you do?....I decorate around the Advent season the house with a handmade wreath and on Christmas Eve the tree goes up and the decorations

If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back?..Yes I did Saturday night.... How many clocks did you have to adjust?....2

What is your opinion of these semiannual time changes? Are you OK with it, or do you wish you never had to turn clocks back and forward?..... Really don't like it should stay the same year round

Do you use electronic funds transfer/online banking or do you prefer paper checks and doing your banking in person?...I do both

When was the last time you were inside a brick and mortar bank?..Been a while

In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does?...No red hair but it looks nice

Today in History
1492 – Christopher Columbus is introduced to corn (maize) by the native people of Cuba.
1605 – Guy Fawkes Day. The “Gunpowder Plot” attempted by Catholic conspirator Guy Fawkes is foiled when he is captured before he can blow up Parliament. The holiday is traditionally celebrated with the burning of a Guy Fawkes effigy in a bonfire followed by fireworks.
1639 – The American colonies’ first post office is opened in Massachusetts.
1773 – John Hancock is elected as moderator at a Boston town meeting, where it is resolved that anyone who supports the Tea Act (which was not a tax but gave the British East India company an unfair advantage on tea imports) is “an enemy to America.”
1789 – French National Meeting declares that all French citizens are equal under the law.
1872 – Suffragette Susan B. Anthony votes for Ulysses S. Grant in the U.S. presidential election. [I wonder how, if women were not allowed to vote?]
1895 – First patent for a gasoline-powered automobile is granted to George B. Selden.
1916 – The Kingdom of Poland is established by the emperors of Germany and Austria-Hungary.
1917 – World War I: General Pershing and U.S. troops see action for the first time on the Western Front.
1935 – Parker Bros. launches the game of Monopoly.
1937 – Adolf Hitler, in a secret meeting with his military leaders, announces his intention to go to war.
1940 – Franklin D. Roosevelt wins an unprecedented third term as U.S. president.
1946 – John F. Kennedy elected to the U.S. Senate.
1956 – The Nat King Cole Show premieres on NBC, the first television variety program hosted by an African-American. It will be cancelled after one season due to lack of sponsors.
1967 – The Hither Green railroad crash in the U.K. kills 49 people. Bee Gee Robin Gibbs is among the survivors.
1968 – Richard Nixon is elected U.S. president; defeating Democrat Hubert Humphrey and segregationist George Wallace.
1973 – OPEC announces a 25% cut in oil production.
1979 – Ayatollah Khomeini declares the United States “The Great Satan.”
1992 – Bobby Fischer defeats Boris Spassky for the world chess title.
2000 – Iraqi president Saddam Hussein and two co-defendants are sentenced to death for the massacre of 148 Shi’ia Muslims in 1982.
2007 – China’s first lunar satellite goes into orbit around the Moon.

Word of the Day:
rumbustious adjective (British, informal)
1. boisterous or unruly.
Example:
“Clear to him now, and his departure will make clear to any other politicians in Westminster that behaviour they might have laughed off or treated as part and parcel of the rumbustious life is not acceptable and is not, it seems, acceptable to Number 10.”

www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-4184000

Quote of the Day:
“Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance.”
- Will Durant

Today is:
Guy Fawkes Night (Great Britain)
First day of Standard Time (U.S.)
Book Lovers Day
International Games Day
Bank Transfer Day (U.S.)
National Love Your Red Hair Day (Ireland)
THANK YOU Bayarea

Old 11-05-2017, 06:44 PM

21,684 posts, read 8,825,750 times
Today’s Questions:
I have bought a few gifts, put the Thanksgiving tablecloth on, decorated the dining table with Indian corn and gourds and have even done some baking.
I always put a small lighted Christmas tree in the window and sometimes a wreath on the front door. I have red and green striped dish cloths, Christmas mugs and a red and green plaid throw. I've also got angel chimes (the type with lighted candles) and a mercury glass lighted tree centerpiece for the table.
If your region went from Daylight to standard time, did you remember to turn your clocks back? How many clocks did you have to adjust?
Yes, I had to change seven or eight clocks plus three watches and the car clock.
I would prefer not to have to do time changes.
We pay many bills online and also have our SS and pension benefits direct deposited. I like to deposit other checks at a teller window, though. I don't feel comfortable using the ATM for that.
About two weeks ago to deposit a check.
My hair has some red in it (at least the original color did; I'm not sure about now ), and some of my cousins are redheads.

Thanks, everyone, for your interesting answers.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:07 PM

14,952 posts, read 8,265,239 times
Today’s Questions:
Nothing
Just a little nowadays.... a wreath or two for the doors, a centerpiece for the dining room table and a Christmas tree (I have a Christmas Village that I put sometimes, but not always.) I use to decorate more when my son was little.
Most adjusted themselves. I had to turn two.
I don't like it.
All by bills except one are paid online or are on automatic bill pay.
Years
In Ireland, today is Love Your Red Hair Day. Do you have red hair, or do you know someone who does? Yes, several friends.

Great Questions! Have a wonderful week everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics