Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 09:27 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times

Advertisements

Ghoulish greetings, goblins! Happy Halloween to all. It's time for some spooky - or at least silly - inquiries, so scroll on down and check out

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

What was the scariest movie you ever saw?

What was the scariest book or story you ever read?

Are there any movies you saw when you were young that scared the beejeezers out of you but which you now find are not scary at all?

Have you ever seen a movie which others thought was scary but which you didn't find frightening?

Are you superstitious (e.g., believe in bad luck, good luck, omens, etc.)?

I have a friend who is always creeped out when a Friday the 13th comes along. Are you bothered by the number 13?

BONUS QUESTIONS

Most people have at least one major fear or phobia. What's yours?

The above question reminds me of a joke by Jerry Seinfeld. He said studies have revealed that many people's biggest fear is public speaking and their second biggest fear is death. Meaning, at a funeral those people would rather be in the casket than giving the eulogy.

Are you afraid of something now which didn't frighten you when you were a child?

Do you believe there are ghosts or spirits among us?

Have you ever visited a "haunted house" which someone set up for Halloween? Did you like it?

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

Have you ever been on a hayride? If so, was the wagon drawn by horses or by a tractor?

Have you ever sat with friends around a campfire and told, or listened to others tell, scary stories?

What was your favorite costume you've ever worn for Halloween?

Do children trick-or-treat in your neighborhood?

If you plan to give out candy to trick-or-treaters, what kind of candy will you give them?

Have you ever bought candy for trick-or-treaters that's something you really like and hoped you'd have some left over?

Have a safe and fun Halloween, everybody. Don't eat too much candy and don't let the goblins get ya!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:36 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Ghoulish greetings, goblins! Happy Halloween to all. It's time for some spooky - or at least silly - inquiries, so scroll on down and check out

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

What was the scariest movie you ever saw? The Thing (original version back in the 60-70s)

What was the scariest book or story you ever read? World History in the freshmen year.

Are there any movies you saw when you were young that scared the beejeezers out of you but which you now find are not scary at all? Frankenstein

Have you ever seen a movie which others thought was scary but which you didn't find frightening?

Are you superstitious (e.g., believe in bad luck, good luck, omens, etc.)? Yes, I'm a believer

I have a friend who is always creeped out when a Friday the 13th comes along. Are you bothered by the number 13? Not a problem.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Most people have at least one major fear or phobia. What's yours? Large groups of people

The above question reminds me of a joke by Jerry Seinfeld. He said studies have revealed that many people's biggest fear is public speaking and their second biggest fear is death. Meaning, at a funeral those people would rather be in the casket than giving the eulogy.

Are you afraid of something now which didn't frighten you when you were a child? Government.................

Do you believe there are ghosts or spirits among us? Yes, just don't make them angry or upset and things will be fine.

Have you ever visited a "haunted house" which someone set up for Halloween? Did you like it? Yes,, years ago while in high school a few of us guys drove over to a large three story abandoned house on a dark dead end street. We all walked through the house without flashlights ..... from the main floor up to the attic and back to the basement. It was not a good place to be...... I'd never do that again.

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

Have you ever been on a hayride? Yes If so, was the wagon drawn by horses or by a tractor?

Have you ever sat with friends around a campfire and told, or listened to others tell, scary stories? yeah,,, that's not a good idea to do.................. but you do it once in life.

Do children trick-or-treat in your neighborhood? yes, and I enjoy the little ones that come to the house.

If you plan to give out candy to trick-or-treaters, what kind of candy will you give them?
We have some individually packaged cookies instead of candy.

Have you ever bought candy for trick-or-treaters that's something you really like and hoped you'd have some left over? yeah,,, and I've already gone through half a box of cookies myself. Good thing we have several boxes of them for the kids.

Have a safe and fun Halloween, everybody. Don't eat too much candy and don't let the goblins get ya!

public domain picture on Flickr

[/url]Trying To Get A Head .... by Bob Kramer, on Flickr
Halloween with the New Addams Family (1977). by Swallowtail Garden Seeds, on Flickr

Last edited by AksarbeN; 10-30-2017 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 10:10 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

I was never into watching scary movies. Most of the so called horror movies I have seen were anything but scary.

The one hundred dollar college text book that was not on the school's buy back list.

Are there any movies you saw when you were young that scared the beejeezers out of you but which you now find are not scary at all?
None that come to mind.

Nightmare On Stinky Cheese Street.

I am a tad bit superstitious.

I have a friend who is always creeped out when a Friday the 13th comes along. Are you bothered by the number 13?
Only if it is Friday the 13th.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Besides running out of stinky cheese and cheap beer? What else is there to fear?

Are you afraid of something now which didn't frighten you when you were a child?
Putting worms on my fishhook. Oh wait, I don't fish anymore. Never mind.

This might sound funny coming from someone who really does believe UFOs exist, but I do not believe in ghosts

Have you ever visited a "haunted house" which someone set up for Halloween? Did you like it?
It was about 50 years ago. It was a really lame haunted house at school.

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

Have you ever been on a hayride? If so, was the wagon drawn by horses or by a tractor?
Not much in the way of hay where I spent most of my life.

Have you ever sat with friends around a campfire and told, or listened to others tell, scary stories?
I think we tried telling scary stories around the campfire when I was in the Boy Scouts. However seeing how I was in the worst Boy Scout troop in all of America, we did not excel at telling scary stories.

I dressed up as a hippy when I was twelve. Since I had very short hair I used a string mop head for the long hair. My mom painted on a beard and gave me some beads to wear. I even carried a small flower with me. It was something like minus 35 that night so the flower did not fare well. However at a couple stops people would give me a new flower to carry. The frostbite was not worth the little candy I got so that was the last time I went trick-or-treating. There were a couple years I went trick-or-drinking while in college. However no costume was required.

You will have to ask me in a couple days. This will be my first Halloween where I now live.

Hmmm...maybe I better head to the store and see what is available.

Have you ever bought candy for trick-or-treaters that's something you really like and hoped you'd have some left over?
OK folks. This is really easy. If you turn off the porch light and stop answering the door before you run out of candy, the odds are mighty good that you will have some candy left over.

Actually there is something I am scared of. It is that period that keeps showing up below.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:47 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS
Howard the Duck, feared for George Lucas' career

IRS instruction manuals?

Any that had the hero kiss the lady a looooong time. Why would he do that knowing girls have cooties?

The Fly where Jeff Goldblum turns into a housefly. More interesting than scary.

Not since I was a little kid and didn't realize that type of thing is psychological.

No, in fact, I think 13 is lucky. See how the psychology works?

BONUS QUESTIONS
Don't know, I never had a fear of flying until security restrictions got bad.
That means it's really a fear of pre-boarding.

Just the things kids are blissfully unaware of. You know. Death and taxes.

I believe there are spirits at any local liquor store.

Yes, put on by a local charity to raise money. It was a blast!

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S
I have not, but it sounds like fun.

Not around a campfire.

Maybe a cowboy or a hobo.

Not really.

If any stop by I will scare them away by telling them to go home, eat broccoli and do their homework.

In that case I sneak a couple of examples for research purposes.

Have a safe and fun Halloween, everybody.
Am looking forward to November 1st already.

Thanks, Pam.

Last edited by bjh; 10-30-2017 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: clarify, like butter

Old 10-30-2017, 11:33 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

What was the scariest movie you ever saw? Probably "The Birds" by Alfred Hitchcock.

What was the scariest book or story you ever read? Snow White and those 7 demented dwarfs.

Are there any movies you saw when you were young that scared the beejeezers out of you but which you now find are not scary at all? "The Wizard of OZ", "yikes" those flying monkey's.

Are you superstitious (e.g., believe in bad luck, good luck, omens, etc.)? I believe in something.

I have a friend who is always creeped out when a Friday the 13th comes along. Are you bothered by the number 13? No, I have it tattooed on my lower cheeks, a 1 on the left side, a 3 on the right side.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Most people have at least one major fear or phobia. What's yours? Running out of money & beer, and also bungee jumping.

Are you afraid of something now which didn't frighten you when you were a child? Heights.

Do you believe there are ghosts or spirits among us? They're here, somewhere...

Have you ever visited a "haunted house" which someone set up for Halloween? Did you like it? As a teen we used to go to where there were haunted houses set up for Halloween.

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

Have you ever been on a hayride? If so, was the wagon drawn by horses or by a tractor? Yes, drawn by horses.

Have you ever sat with friends around a campfire and told, or listened to others tell, scary stories? Andy on Mayberry.

What was your favorite costume you've ever worn for Halloween? As a kid it was the Lone ranger, as an adult I once crashed an adult party and went in as the 'flasher', the ladies went wild...

Do children trick-or-treat in your neighborhood? No kids in our retirement community, yay.

If you plan to give out candy to trick-or-treaters, what kind of candy will you give them? n/a

Have you ever bought candy for trick-or-treaters that's something you really like and hoped you'd have some left over? When we had kids around, years ago, we made sure we had some left over.

Have a safe and fun Halloween, everybody. Don't eat too much candy and don't let the goblins get ya! No candy here, maybe some popcorn and a beer and watch a scary movie.

------------"Boo" to you Pam----------

Old 10-31-2017, 12:32 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

I think at the time it was when I saw them, either Invasion of The Body Snatchers (which would be the old black and white 1956 original movie so I was 5), Jaws (I lived on Long Island - made the ocean water scary) or The Howling (1980s movie which was particularly known for its effects of a human transforming into a werewolf - I still recommend it.). More recently it was The Barrens which had a terrific and scary ending. I'm kind of fond of The Mothman Prophesies and The Omen (original only), too.

Salem's Lot at the time the Stephen King book just came out. I thought it was the scariest book I ever read up until that point in time.

That would be the original King Kong, the original Godzilla and the original Mighty Joe Young when they played on TV. Not a movie but used to scare me when I was a little kid was Smokey The Bear TV ads. Lived in NYC and had never even seen a forest but the bear and his voice scared me.

I don't think any remakes (there have been 2 that I know of) of Invasion of The Body Snatchers were scary or good movies. Scream didn't do it for me, either.

Are you superstitious (e.g., believe in bad luck, good luck, omens, etc.)? No

I have a friend who is always creeped out when a Friday the 13th comes along. Are you bothered by the number 13? No

BONUS QUESTIONS

Crazy people related to me and the elevators to nowhere (not together).

He had a good point.

Communists in the US.

Do you believe there are ghosts or spirits among us? I hope not.

Have you ever visited a "haunted house" which someone set up for Halloween? No, just at amusement parks. Did you like it? N/A

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

I don't think so.

Have you ever sat with friends around a campfire and told, or listened to others tell, scary stories? Yes.

What was your favorite costume you've ever worn for Halloween? Don't remember.

Do children trick-or-treat in your neighborhood? No. They didn't when I lived in Maryland, either.

N/A

Honestly, it has been at least 22 plus years since I have had a trick or treater. I don't remember.

Old 10-31-2017, 12:44 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Night of the Living Dead
The Shining
I don't know the name of it, but when I was about six or seven I saw a movie about a flood. There was a little girl in the movie who had a doll. The last shot of the movie, after the flood, showed the little girl's doll floating away in the murky water. It scared the living daylights out of me.
That scene in Dr. No, the first James Bond movie always makes me laugh because my boss used to have a tarantula, and I know that they aren't that scary and their bites will hurt, but not kill you.
Not really, but for some reason I find myself unable to put 13 banana slices on my cereal. It has to be either less or more than 13. It's silly, I know.
See above.

BONUS QUESTIONS

I don't like heights.

Saturated fat.
No, but I'm open-minded about it. I think there's a lot going on in the universe that we humans with our limited brains are unable to perceive or understand.
No, I've never done that. But I have visited an actual house that's said to be haunted. It's the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, California. Sarah Winchester, widow of the firearms manufacturer, felt that her house was haunted by spirits of the people her husband's guns had killed. She believed the only way to appease these spirits was to never stop building her house. Construction projects went on night and day until she died in 1922.

The Queen Anne mansion's curious architecture includes stairs that go nowhere and doors that open onto walls. They hold tours there all year round and special events on Halloween. I loved going there as a child and am still fascinated by the place.

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

No, unfortunately I've never had that experience.
Never did that either, although I have been camping and have sat around campfires.
This one. My mother made it. That's my brother Jim on the right:

They trick-or-treat nearby but rarely walk up our steep hill, where there are houses only on one side of the street.
We have some Reese's peanut butter cups just in case, but we'll probably end up eating them ourselves.
Every year!

Thanks, Pammy!

Old 10-31-2017, 01:44 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

The Sentinel, Rear Window, Gaslight or Rosemary's Baby.

The Shining.

Oh probably lots...like I saw What you Did, or the Birds....haven't watched them recently but I don't think I would find them scary today.

I am not at all superstitious. That would be totally illogical.
I have a friend who is always creeped out when a Friday the 13th comes along. Are you bothered by the number 13? No.

BONUS QUESTIONS

I am afraid of heights and am Claustrophobic of late.

Live People.

No

I loved Haunted Houses when I was a kid.

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

I don't recall.

Yes.

We have Hersheys, Reeses Cups, M&M's, Junior Mints, Reeses Pieces, Butterfingers, and a few others
in a huge variety pack.

Have a safe and fun Halloween, everybody. Don't eat too much candy and don't let the goblins get ya! U-2~

Have a Spooky Great Halloween everyone!

Old 10-31-2017, 03:29 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSinger View Post

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Whatever Happened to Baby Jane

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson ( nothing to do with the movie the House on Haunted Hill)

probably but can't think of any

Friday the 13th. yawn

a bit

nope

BONUS QUESTIONS

basements. If you go into one, the house will collapse. I'll have to brave it soon to change my furnace filter.

taxes

yes.

yes-it was okay.

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

yes-horses

sure, a lot when younger

I always hated dressing up when I was a kid.

nope-locally they usually have parties. very few trick or treaters

carrots.

used to. Now I don't even buy it.

thanks, PJ.

watch out for those vampires, everyone.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:56 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,284,230 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

- Maybe early 1970s. Not into that genre of movies...

What was the scariest book or story you ever read? - Maybe never. See above answer.

Are there any movies you saw when you were young that scared the beejeezers out of you but which you now find are not scary at all? = N/A

Have you ever seen a movie which others thought was scary but which you didn't find frightening? - N/A

Are you superstitious (e.g., believe in bad luck, good luck, omens, etc.)? - Not at all.

I have a friend who is always creeped out when a Friday the 13th comes along. Are you bothered by the number 13? - See user name.

BONUS QUESTIONS

Most people have at least one major fear or phobia. What's yours? - I can't think of anything.

The above question reminds me of a joke by Jerry Seinfeld. He said studies have revealed that many people's biggest fear is public speaking and their second biggest fear is death. Meaning, at a funeral those people would rather be in the casket than giving the eulogy. - Unless I have something someone can use it's cremation for me, no funeral.

Are you afraid of something now which didn't frighten you when you were a child? - Don't know if I could say "afraid" but I wouldn't like becoming incapacitated in some form. However, I really do not think about it.

Have you ever visited a "haunted house" which someone set up for Halloween? Did you like it? - No interest / never have.

EXTRA CREDIT Q'S

- No, but it sounds like fun.

Never experienced / no interest.

What was your favorite costume you've ever worn for Halloween? - No memory of that. Just silly, cheap costumes that came in a package way before I was a teen.

Do children trick-or-treat in your neighborhood? - Been living here for 3.5 years and despite the fact that a lot of people live here I've never seen one.

If you plan to give out candy to trick-or-treaters, what kind of candy will you give them? - No one will come by. I live in a secure building anyway...

Have you ever bought candy for trick-or-treaters that's something you really like and hoped you'd have some left over? - It's been decades since I bought any. It's just not big in this area, at least in places I lived as an adult.

Thanks, Pam.
Hope everyone has a good Tuesday!

Last edited by John13; 10-31-2017 at 04:25 AM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics