Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 10:00 PM

21,730 posts, read 8,871,215 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, June 18, 2017. If you’re a dad, Happy Father's Day! A special salute to those who have been a stepdad, a foster dad or have been like a dad to someone.

If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Gemini. Famous people who share your birthday are rockers Paul McCartney and Alison Moyet; mountaineer George Mallory; playwright Philip Barry; actresses Jeanette MacDonald, Carol Kane and Isabella Rossellini; actors E.G. Marshall, Richard Boone and Brian Benben; legendary firefighter Red Adair; author Gail Godwin; TV cook and author Delia Smith; movie critic Roger Ebert and country singer Blake Shelton.

Today’s Questions:
What is the most recent project you have been involved with (even if it is something minor, like planning a trip, weeding the garden or deciding on new eyeglass frames)?

What is your most productive time of day: Morning, afternoon, evening or late night?

Bonus Questions
Do you have any travel plans for the summer?

Do you own a swimsuit? What color is it and what does it look like?

Just For Fun
Tell us some “sorry, wrong number” stories – what happened when you dialed someone by mistake or a complete stranger called you?

Today is National Splurge Day. What was your most recent splurge (if you don’t have one, what would you splurge on if you could)?

Today in History
1178 – Five monks at Canterbury report an explosion on the moon (the only known observation).
1538 – Treaty of Nice ends war between Holy Roman Emperor Charles V and and King French I.
1583 – First life insurance policy taken out by Richard Martin of London. He insures the life of William Gibbons for a premium of £383.
1682 – William Penn founds the City of Philadelphia.
1767 – Samuel Wallace, an English sea captain, spots Tahiti and is considered the first European to reach the island.
1812 – U.S. declares war on Britain.
1815 – Napoleon defeated at the Battle of Waterloo by English troops under Wellington and Prussian troops led by Blucher (no, not Frau Blucher *whinny.*)
1822 – Part of U.S. boundary with Canada established.
1872 – Women’s Suffrage convention held at Mercantile Liberty Hall.
1873 – Suffragette Susan B. Anthony fined $100 for voting for President..
1892 – Macadamia nuts first planted in Hawaii.
1898 – First amusement pier opens in Atlantic City, New Jersey.
1903 – First transcontinental auto trip, San Francisco to New York, arriving three months later.
1928 – Amelia Earhart becomes the first woman to fly across the Atlantic, landing in Burry Point, Wales.
1940 – In a BBC radio broadcast, Charles De Gaulle tells French citizens to resist the Nazi occupiers.
1940 – U.S., France, Britain and Russia agree to split occupied Germany.
1941 – Joe Louis Kos Billy Conn in 13 to win the world heavyweight boxing title.
1945 – “Lord Haw Haw” (William Joyce), a pro-Nazi radio broadcaster, charged with treason. He would be hanged the following year.
1951 – Charles De Gaulle wins French parliamentary election.
1953 – Egypt becomes a republic headed by General Neguib.
1956 – Last foreign troops leave Egypt as Britain relinquishes control of the Suez Canal.
1959 – First telecast transmitted from England to the U.S.
1959 – Louisiana governor Earl K. Long, committed to a mental hospital, responds by firing the hospital’s director and replacing him with a crony who declares the governor sane.
1967 – Monterey Pop Festival rocks northern California.
1970 – Edward Heath and the Conservative Party win the general election, replacing the Labour Party.
1973 – Soviet General Secretary Leonid Brezhnev visits President Nixon in the U.S.
1977 – Enterprise test model space shuttle vehicle carries a crew aloft for the first time. It is fixed to a modified Boeing 747.
1981 – The AIDS epidemic is formally recognized for the first time by medical professionals in San Francisco.
1983 – Seventh shuttle mission Challenger 2 launches; Sally Ride becomes the first U.S. woman in space.
1991 – Russian president Boris Yeltsin arrives in the U.S.
1996 – Ted Kaczynski, suspected as being the serial murderer and domestic terrorist “the Unabomber,” is indicted on ten criminal counts.
2015 – Pope Francis blames global warming on human selfishness in an encyclical titled “Laudato Si, (Be Praised), On the Care of Our Common Home.”

Word of the Day:
cy·no·sure
sīnəˌSHo͝o(ə)r/
noun a person or thing that is the center of attention or admiration.
"The Queen was the cynosure of all eyes."

Quote of the Day:
“No good movie is too long and no bad movie is short enough.”
- Roger Ebert

Today is:
Father’s Day (U.S.)
International Picnic Day
National Go Fishing Day
National Splurge Day
National Turkey Lover’s Day
Husband Caregiver Day
Autistic Awareness Day
Family Awareness Day
Clark Kent’s Birthday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 10:06 PM

114,838 posts, read 66,226,615 times
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, June 18, 2017. If you’re a dad, Happy Father's Day! A special salute to those who have been a stepdad, a foster dad or have been like a dad to someone.

If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Gemini. Famous people who share your birthday are rockers Paul McCartney and Alison Moyet; mountaineer George Mallory; playwright Philip Barry; actresses Jeanette MacDonald, Carol Kane and Isabella Rossellini; actors E.G. Marshall, Richard Boone and Brian Benben; legendary firefighter Red Adair; author Gail Godwin; TV cook and author Delia Smith; movie critic Roger Ebert and country singer Blake Shelton.

Today’s Questions:
What is the most recent project you have been involved with (even if it is something minor, like planning a trip, weeding the garden or deciding on new eyeglass frames)?
Weeding the garden and trying to prepare for a yard sale.
What is your most productive time of day: Morning, afternoon, evening or late night?

Bonus Questions
Just a 3 day getaway.
I've got a gray and green pair.
Just For Fun
Tell us some “sorry, wrong number” stories – what happened when you dialed someone by mistake or a complete stranger called you?

Today is National Splurge Day. What was your most recent splurge (if you don’t have one, what would you splurge on if you could)?
Tech /devices electronics, cameras.

Today in History
1178 – Five monks at Canterbury report an explosion on the moon (the only known observation).
1538 – Treaty of Nice ends war between Holy Roman Emperor Charles V and and King French I.
1583 – First life insurance policy taken out by Richard Martin of London. He insures the life of William Gibbons for a premium of £383.
1767 – Samuel Wallace, an English sea captain, spots Tahiti and is considered the first European to reach the island.
1812 – U.S. declares war on Britain. Glad that's over with.
1815 – Napoleon defeated at the Battle of Waterloo by English troops under Wellington and Prussian troops led by Blucher (no, not Frau Blucher *whinny.*)
1873 – Suffragette Susan B. Anthony fined $100 for voting for President.. Shame on her and there wasn't even a woman on the ballot.
1903 – First transcontinental auto trip, San Francisco to New York, arriving three months later.
1928 – Amelia Earhart becomes the first woman to fly across the Atlantic, landing in Burry Point, Wales.
1940 – In a BBC radio broadcast, Charles De Gaulle tells French citizens to resist the Nazi occupiers.
1941 – Joe Louis Kos Billy Conn in 13 to win the world heavyweight boxing title.
1945 – “Lord Haw Haw” (William Joyce), a pro-Nazi radio broadcaster, charged with treason. He would be hanged the following year.
1956 – Last foreign troops leave Egypt as Britain relinquishes control of the Suez Canal.
1959 – Louisiana governor Earl K. Long, committed to a mental hospital, responds by firing the hospital’s director and replacing him with a crony who declares the governor sane.
1970 – Edward Heath and the Conservative Party win the general election, replacing the Labour Party.
1973 – Soviet General Secretary Leonid Brezhnev visits President Nixon in the U.S.
1977 – Enterprise test model space shuttle vehicle carries a crew aloft for the first time. It is fixed to a modified Boeing 747.
1981 – The AIDS epidemic is formally recognized for the first time by medical professionals in San Francisco.
1983 – Seventh shuttle mission Challenger 2 launches; Sally Ride becomes the first U.S. woman in space.
1996 – Ted Kaczynski, suspected as being the serial murderer and domestic terrorist “the Unabomber,” is indicted on ten criminal counts.
2015 – Pope Francis blames global warming on human selfishness in an encyclical titled “Laudato Si, (Be Praised), On the Care of Our Common Home.”

Word of the Day:
cy·no·sure
sīnəˌSHo͝o(ə)r/

Quote of the Day:
- Roger Ebert

Today is:
Father’s Day (U.S.)
International Picnic Day
National Go Fishing Day
National Splurge Day
Husband Caregiver Day
Autistic Awareness Day
Family Awareness Day
Clark Kent’s Birthday
Thanks BA4! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 06-17-2017 at 10:20 PM..

Old 06-17-2017, 10:11 PM

31,304 posts, read 33,035,938 times
Today’s Questions:
Working on a repair at the house..... seems the older I get the more things breakdown and need fixing. Why is that I ask you?
Morning,,, always the morning when the brain is working full speed.

Bonus Questions
No not at the moment. Mrs Aks & I just returned from two weeks in Europe a few weeks ago so I'm tired and needing to rest up for the next adventure. However she was talking about a cruise ship to Alaska in Aug or Sep...... I'm worried.

Do you own a swimsuit? Yes What color is it and what does it look like? Blue

Just For Fun
A number of years ago, our phone number was very close to that of a large hotel in town. And as usual late at night I’d get a phone call or two asking for a room. Well, one late night call caught me when I wasn’t too happy about answering that type of call. The caller asked for a room for the night as he had flown into town and needed a place to stay. He was at the airport and thought a downtown hotel would work best for him. Oh course I wasn’t going to disappoint him and after asking several questions of what he needed told him I had just the room at 50% off normal price. He was thankful and I was happy to help out. I hope he got the room at half off and I feel bad if the night desk clerk wasn’t able to discount the room. Back in the late 60’s I don’t think any hotel discounted room so I guess I was the first to offer it (even though I wasn’t a hotel) guess you could call me a trend setter.

"splurge"? I'm too frugal and seldom splurge ,,,,,,,,,,, however I remember while in Italy I bought a nice leather bad from a specialty store in Florence. I needed another bag like I need a hole in the head but "it was special". Now it's in the closet at home. I have a thing about backpacks, bags and carry cases.....

Today in History
1812 – U.S. declares war on Britain.
1873 – Suffragette Susan B. Anthony fined $100 for voting for President..

Word of the Day:
cy·no·sure
sīnəˌSHo͝o(ə)r/

Quote of the Day:
- Roger Ebert

Today is:
Father’s Day (U.S.)
International Picnic Day
National Go Fishing Day
National Splurge Day
Husband Caregiver Day
Autistic Awareness Day
Family Awareness Day
Clark Kent’s Birthday

Happy Father's Day to all of those out there.

Last edited by AksarbeN; 06-17-2017 at 10:34 PM..

Old 06-18-2017, 12:27 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,044,956 times
Today’s Questions:
Moving across town

After the crack of noon

Bonus Questions
No travel plans other than the occasional drive to the cheese store

Do you own a swimsuit? What color is it and what does it look like? Nope

Just For Fun
When I was in college every dorm room had a phone with a cord long enough to reach the phone in the next room. We would tape the two handsets together and then dial a different number on each phone. Both people answering the numbers called would then want to know why the other called.

I believe it just might be time to splurge on some ice cream

Old 06-18-2017, 04:46 AM
bjh

60,510 posts, read 30,661,663 times
Today’s Questions:
What is the most recent project you have been involved with (even if it is something minor, like
planning a trip, weeding the garden or deciding on new eyeglass frames)?

Cutting down a dead tree.

If left to my own devices, late night.

Bonus Questions
Yes.

Yes. I have a gray pair of trunks.

Just For Fun
Tell us some “sorry, wrong number” stories –
what happened when you dialed someone by mistake or a complete stranger called you?

Many years ago I called a number and when a guy didn't answer with a business name, i said,
this isn't X company, is it? He said no, then got kind of obnoxious. Long story short, he
thought I was his wife's boyfriend trying to disguise my reason for calling. This was before
cellphones were common and happily before caller ID, too, so he didn't get my name or
number. I never even met his wife. Honest.

Today is National Splurge Day.
What was your most recent splurge (if you don’t have one, what would you splurge on if you could)?

Dining out is the most I can think of. Not a lot of recent splurging.
I wouldn't say no to splurging on a Dodge Charger hemi.

Thx, BA4!

Old 06-18-2017, 05:04 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,537,173 times
Today’s Questions:
All kinds of things Planning a trip and wedding, planning what to cook with my niece in NY and get all the ingredients together, my ongoing growing garden, clearing a path around the property by cutting downed trees and also working on fencing, cleaning out the barn...we loaded up old metal roof panels yesterday for someone to buy., sealing the driveway and filling cracks...oh and my body has been a recent project lots of exercise, light weight lifting and eating better. I lost 20 pounds so far

Morning.

Bonus Questions
Do you have any travel plans for the summer? Yes....going to Niagara Falls to get married in a helicopter over the falls and off to Long Island NY for a family visit.

Do you own a swimsuit? What color is it and what does it look like? Yes....3 one piece black ones and one hot pink string bikini which is only for around the farm and Mike's eyes, lol.

Just For Fun
Tell us some “sorry, wrong number” stories – what happened when you dialed someone by mistake or a complete stranger called you? Usually it's just a pleasant "sorry I have/you have the wrong #" although I did have an elderly woman call me from NY about my treadmill for sale in TN. I have no idea how but we had a very pleasant conversation for about 15 minutes.

Today is National Splurge Day. What was your most recent splurge (if you don’t have one, what would you splurge on if you could)? I bought 3 used cookbooks yesterday Thriftbooks is great for that. Excellent books and free shipping over $10.00

Happy Sunday!!

Old 06-18-2017, 06:21 AM

27,497 posts, read 27,526,788 times
Most productive time of day, for me, morning.
I have 3 swimsuits, all 3 are 2pc sets, blue, brown and black.
I do have travel plans but learned not to say anything to anyone but family. Also, I'm spontaneous, so who knows.....
I've had messages left on my voice mail or answering machine for someone who used to have my number.
Most recent splurge, took myself to Long John Silver for lunch.
Happy Sunday!

Old 06-18-2017, 06:48 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,878,062 times
Today’s Questions:
What is the most recent project you have been involved with (even if it is something minor, like planning a trip, weeding the garden or deciding on new eyeglass frames)? End of year paperwork, getting summer work together for kids, cleaning classroom. At home, finishing the kitchen.... painting, etc., mowing in the summer is an ongoing project. This morning is about cooking for my granddaughter's birthday party, early afternoon will be getting in some mowing, if possible, before the party at 3:00.

What is your most productive time of day: Morning, afternoon, evening or late night? School year, morning and afternoon. Summer, afternoon and evening.

Bonus Questions
Do you have any travel plans for the summer? Not traveling far. I rent a cottage at a nearby lake and family comes and goes as they can. The grands stay the week. Four kiddos, ages three to eight. In August we have a house rented at the beach in Maine for a week.

Do you own a swimsuit? What color is it and what does it look like? I have a black swim dress & also have a black wetsuit.

Just For Fun
Tell us some “sorry, wrong number” stories – what happened when you dialed someone by mistake or a complete stranger called you? Only thing I can think of is that I've called some people when they've left messages to tell them they had the wrong #.

Today is National Splurge Day. What was your most recent splurge (if you don’t have one, what would you splurge on if you could)? Last splurge for myself was last summer when I bought a hullavator, so I could get the kayak on the car by myself. My son-in-law just put it on my car, but something is wrong. I will be driving up to EMS and asking someone there to help me figure it out.

Happy Father's Day to all Dads! My dad has been gone over eleven years now, but I will be thinking about past father's days and all his silly antics.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:03 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,254,383 times
[quote=Bayarea4;48540627]Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, June 18, 2017. If you’re a dad, Happy Father's Day! A special salute to those who have been a stepdad, a foster dad or have been like a dad to someone.

Today’s Questions:
Dog walking A constant project

What is your most productive time of day: Morning, afternoon, evening or late night?Early morning while at work

Bonus Questions
Do you have any travel plans for the summer?No

Do you own a swimsuit? What color is it and what does it look like?Black boxer type

Just For Fun

Today in History

Today is:
Father’s Day (U.S.)
International Picnic Day
National Go Fishing Day
National Splurge Day
Husband Caregiver Day
Autistic Awareness Day
Family Awareness Day
Clark Kent’s Birthday[/QUOTE
Thanks Bayarea obviously a lot of work put into this one

Old 06-18-2017, 07:41 AM

11,446 posts, read 9,396,728 times
Today’s Questions:
- Work related...

What is your most productive time of day: Morning, afternoon, evening or late night? - It doesn't maatter

Bonus Questions
- Nope

Do you own a swimsuit? What color is it and what does it look like? - Haven't been swimming in close to 15 years. I may or may not still have it.

Just For Fun
- Ha, ha, I have a good one here that was very recent:

This is in regards to a guy named Tony who called be about 10 times and left me vile messages. He's convinced he knows me and I do think he's sincere about that. I googled the number. #1 - the only Tony I ever knew in my life is dead and #2, I do not know nor have I ever known anyone that lives in the city the number is attached to. It wasn't a Tony but a woman. So the phone number is either his mommy or someone else.

He kept cussing me out, especially for not returning his phone calls. In fact, the cussing started in the first message. After the 7th or 8th one (what person in his right mind would not take the hint!) I called him. I had to leave a message and told him I do not know him nor do I want to know him and to stop harassing me. Since then, two more calls which neither addressed my message I left which was clearly him on the voice recording

I called the phone company and apparently because I have a landline phone there is no way to block the number.

It's been two weeks and I sincerely hope I will not hear from him again.

Today is National Splurge Day. What was your most recent splurge (if you don’t have one, what would you splurge on if you could)? - More living space as my apartment is too small.

Thanks, Bay.
Happy Sunday to all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics