Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 09:38 PM

21,590 posts, read 8,759,815 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, June 4, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Gemini. Famous people who share your birthday are actresses Rosalind Russell and Angelina Jolie; newsman Charles Collingwood; actors Dennis Weaver, Bruce Dern; Keith David and Noah Wyle; sex therapist Dr. Ruth Westheimer; singers Freddy Fender and El Debarge; singer-actress Michelle Phillips; opera star Cecilia Bartoli and comedian Russell Brand.

Today’s Questions:
What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment?

What do you consider to be your greatest weakness?

What is one thing you would change about yourself if you could?

Bonus Questions
I would like to meet the person who invented _____________ and ask them, “What made you think that was a good idea?”

When was the last time you said to yourself, “Duh. What was I thinking?”

Just For Fun
What’s on your night stand or dresser?

Today in History
781 BCE – Oldest Chinese record of a solar eclipse.
1070 – Roquefort cheese created in a cave near Roquefort, France.
1760 – The Great Upheaval: Planters from England claim land in New Zealand taken from the Acadians.
1769 – A transit of Venus is followed five hours later by a total solar eclipse, the shortest interval in history.
1783 – Jacques and Joseph Montgolfier make the first public (unmanned) hot air balloon flight, which lasts 10 minutes and covering 2 km.
1792 - Captain George Vancouver claims Vancouver Island for Britain.
1850 – Self-deodorizing fertilizer patented in England.
1896 – Henry Ford takes his first automobile through the streets of Detroit.
1918 – French troops, aided by U.S. forces, stop the Germans at Chateau-Thierry as they attempt to cross the Marne River.
1919 – U.S. Congress passes the Women’s Suffrage Bill, the 19th Amendment.
1929 – George Eastman demonstrates the world’s first Technicolor movie.
1940 – British complete “the miracle at Dunkirk” by evacuating 300,000 Allied troops from France.
1942 – Battle of Midway begins; Japan’s first major defeat in World War II, ending Japanese expansion into the Pacific.
1944 – First British gliders touch down on French soil for D-Day; Fifth Army enters Rome and liberates the city from Mussolini’s Fascist armies.
1943 – Argentina taken over by General Rawson and Colonel Juan Person.
1945 – U.S., France, Britain and Russia agree to split occupied Germany.
1961 – U.S. President Kennedy and Soviet Premier Khrushchev meet at the Vienna Summit in Austria.
1970 – Tonga declares its independence from Britain.
1973 – A patent for the ATM is granted to Don Wetzel, Tom Barnes and George Chastain.
1975 – Oldest animal fossils in U.S. discovered in North Carolina.
1984 – Bruce Springsteen releases “Born in the U.S.A.”
1989 – Tiananmen Square Massacre. Chinese troops clear student protesters; an estimated 1,000 are killed.
1990 – Dr. Jack Kevorkian assists an Oregon woman to commit suicide, sparking a national debate on the right to die.
1998 – Terry Nichols sentenced to death for his role in the Oklahoma City bombing.

Word of the Day:
fugacious /fyo͞oˈɡāSHəs/ adjective
1. tending to disappear; fleeting.
2. (Botany) tending to wither or fall off before the usual time, as a plant part.

“We must realise and be ever conscious of the fact that life is fugacious and ephemeral." - Bobson Gbinije; Reflections at Christmas; This Day (Lagos, Nigeria)

Quote of the Day:
“The trouble with nude dancing is that not everything stops when the music stops.”

- Robert Helpmann

Today is:
Applesauce Day
National Cheese Day
National Cancer Survivor’s Day
National Frozen Yogurt Day
National Cognac Day
Hug Your Cat Day
Old Maid’s Day
National Child’s Day
International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Oppression
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 09:42 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,944,048 times
Welcome to the Questions of the Day for Sunday, June 4, 2017. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Gemini. Famous people who share your birthday are actresses Rosalind Russell and Angelina Jolie; newsman Charles Collingwood; actors Dennis Weaver, Bruce Dern; Keith David and Noah Wyle; sex therapist Dr. Ruth Westheimer; singers Freddy Fender and El Debarge; singer-actress Michelle Phillips; opera star Cecilia Bartoli and comedian Russell Brand.

Today’s Questions:
My kids.

That's a tough one.
Bonus Questions
I would like to meet the person who invented __cell phones___________ and ask them, “What made you think that was a good idea?”

Probably not too long ago.
Just For Fun
You name it.

Today in History
1070 – Roquefort cheese created in a cave near Roquefort, France. Not Alaska?
1760 – The Great Upheaval: Planters from England claim land in New Zealand taken from the Acadians.
1769 – A transit of Venus is followed five hours later by a total solar eclipse, the shortest interval in history.
1783 – Jacques and Joseph Montgolfier make the first public (unmanned) hot air balloon flight, which lasts 10 minutes and covering 2 km.
1918 – French troops, aided by U.S. forces, stop the Germans at Chateau-Thierry as they attempt to cross the Marne River.
1940 – British complete “the miracle at Dunkirk” by evacuating 300,000 Allied troops from France.
1942 – Battle of Midway begins; Japan’s first major defeat in World War II, ending Japanese expansion into the Pacific.
1944 – First British gliders touch down on French soil for D-Day; Fifth Army enters Rome and liberates the city from Mussolini’s Fascist armies.
1961 – U.S. President Kennedy and Soviet Premier Khrushchev meet at the Vienna Summit in Austria.
1973 – A patent for the ATM is granted to Don Wetzel, Tom Barnes and George Chastain.
1989 – Tiananmen Square Massacre. Chinese troops clear student protesters; an estimated 1,000 are killed.
1990 – Dr. Jack Kevorkian assists an Oregon woman to commit suicide, sparking a national debate on the right to die.
1998 – Terry Nichols sentenced to death for his role in the Oklahoma City bombing.

Word of the Day:
2. (Botany) tending to wither or fall off before the usual time, as a plant part.

“We must realise and be ever conscious of the fact that life is fugacious and ephemeral." - Bobson Gbinije; Reflections at Christmas; This Day (Lagos, Nigeria)

Quote of the Day:
“The trouble with nude dancing is that not everything stops when the music stops.”

- Robert Helpmann

Today is:
Applesauce Day
National Cheese Day
National Cognac Day
Hug Your Cat Day
Old Maid’s Day
National Child’s Day
Thanks BA4! Nice job!

Last edited by SATX56; 06-03-2017 at 09:54 PM..

Old 06-03-2017, 09:45 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,924,625 times
Today’s Questions:
What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment? Staying alive

What do you consider to be your greatest weakness? Not being able to do it forever......

What is one thing you would change about yourself if you could? Not much, I like me the way I am.

Bonus Questions
I would like to meet the person who invented __Rubik's Cube_______ and ask them, “What made you think that was a good idea?”

When was the last time you said to yourself, “Duh. What was I thinking?” can't think of a thing right now.

Just For Fun
What’s on your night stand or dresser? clock-radio

Today in History

Word of the Day:

Quote of the Day:

- Robert Helpmann

Today is:
Applesauce Day
National Cheese Day
National Cognac Day
Hug Your Cat Day
Old Maid’s Day
National Child’s Day

Old 06-03-2017, 09:59 PM

24,776 posts, read 28,576,435 times

Today’s Questions:
What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment? I made it this far in " Life "

What do you consider to be your greatest weakness?..... sentimental

What is one thing you would change about yourself if you could?... Nothing... I like " ME "

Bonus Questions
I would like to meet the person who invented the "waffle cone" and ask them, “What made you think that was a good idea?”

When was the last time you said to yourself, “Duh. What was I thinking?” Many times after getting up in the morning.. which runs into the afternoon.. that returns after the nap.. and last till I go to bed.. viscous cycle...

Just For Fun
What’s on your night stand or dresser? My funnel rack.. a old broom handle.. stuck in a 2x4

Today in History

Word of the Day:

Quote of the Day:
“The trouble with nude dancing is that not everything stops when the music stops.” Very true Ask the " Michelin tire man "

- Robert Helpmann .... the Mad Hatter

Today is:
Applesauce Day
National Cheese Day
National Cancer Survivor’s Day..............
National Cognac Day
Hug Your Cat Day...........................
Old Maid’s Day
National Child’s Day

Thanks Bay ..........................

Old 06-03-2017, 10:05 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,015,462 times

Today’s Questions:
Achieving my long time dream of working a job where I traveled all over the world as part of an airline crew.

Stinky cheese

I will keep the hand I was dealt.

Bonus Questions
I would like to meet the person who invented necktie and ask them, “What made you think that was a good idea?”

When I bought a less than cheap beer. Paid a bunch for an awful tasting beer

Just For Fun
My phone

Today is:
National Cheese Day

Old 06-03-2017, 10:15 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,015,462 times
[quote=SATX56;48382964] Roquefort cheese created in a cave near Roquefort, France.Not Alaska?

Alaska has yet to be named the cheese capital of the world. Have yet come up with a workable recipe using whale blubber to make cheese.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:28 PM

11,391 posts, read 9,312,804 times
Today’s Questions:
- The many pints of blood I donated in the last 26 years to help strangers in need.

What do you consider to be your greatest weakness? - Too hard on myself and shyness...

What is one thing you would change about yourself if you could? - ^^^ That. I'd like to fix both...

Bonus Questions
I would like to meet the person who invented _____________ and ask them, “What made you think that was a good idea?”
_ I wouldn't want to meet them but unhealthy fast food slop comes to mind...

When was the last time you said to yourself, “Duh. What was I thinking?” - Work related.

Just For Fun
- N/A. I do not have either. My apartment is too small.

Thanks, Bay.
Happy Sunday to all!

Old 06-03-2017, 11:50 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,227,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
[

Today’s Questions:
Not hard to answer that one My son

Well that would be implying that I am not perfect

Like to go back to the weight I was 20 or 30 years ago.

Bonus Questions

That is a daily experience any more.
Just For Fun
Lamp when I am in bed also glasses and cell phone.

Today in History

Quote of the Day:

Today is:
Applesauce Day
National Cheese Day
National Cognac Day
Hug Your Cat Day
Old Maid’s Day
National Child’s Day

Thanks..Have a goodone

Old 06-03-2017, 11:54 PM

44,662 posts, read 61,751,282 times
Today’s Questions:
What do you consider to be your greatest accomplishment? Getting to where I am now, alive.

What do you consider to be your greatest weakness? Falling down.

What is one thing you would change about yourself if you could? My legs/body.

Bonus Questions
I would like to meet the person who invented cell phones and ask them, “What made you think that was a good idea?”

When was the last time you said to yourself, “Duh. What was I thinking?” Just today when I did.....um.

Just For Fun
What’s on your night stand or dresser? Kleenex, lamp, nose spray, flashlight, TV remote control, pain pills, bottle of water.

Thanks bay

Old 06-04-2017, 12:51 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,048,562 times
Today’s Questions:

Obtaining my Bachelors and Masters degrees with all the obstacles in my life while I was a student.

Carbs

I wish I could be more physically active ... Trying to work on that

Bonus Questions
Can't think of anything right now ....

Probably last week when I was staying up too late despite being so exhausted .... I would pay the price the next day at work ....

Just For Fun
A night lamp ... Nothing too exciting ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics