Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 10:04 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,012,486 times

Advertisements

Just when you thought it was safe to check C-D the QOTD pops up.

-When driving have you ever pulled into a rest stop or somewhere else and taken a nap in your car?

-How old were you when you first drove a car?

-How old were you when you got your drivers license?

-Have you ever driven something besides a car or truck?

OK folks...It is fun time
-When you were a kid and still indestructable did you ever try something really stupid like jumping off the roof while using a blanket as a parachute?

-You have been chosen to come up with a new Olympic competition. It does not have to be a sport. What will be the new event?

-Have you ever called a radio station that was having contest? Did you win?

What's that you say? You want a foodie question? OK...
-Have you ever eaten somewhere that had a bowl of peanuts to munch on while waiting for your meal? Did you throw the shells on the floor?

-Do you taste your food first or just add seasonings such as salt and pepper before tasting?

Today is...
-NATIONAL CORN ON THE COB DAY
-NATIONAL GERMAN CHOCOLATE CAKE DAY

These questions have been stored on the back porch of a strangers house for the past week. Answer them at your own risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2017, 10:10 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,913,740 times

-When driving have you ever pulled into a rest stop or somewhere else and taken a nap in your car? Yes a number of years ago when I traveled by myself.

-How old were you when you first drove a car? 15 1/2 years of age.

-How old were you when you got your drivers license? 15 1/2 learners permit and 16 for a license.

-Have you ever driven something besides a car or truck? Once I drove some earth moving equipment that a family friend allowed me to try out. He was in the business and thought I'd enjoy the experience. Pushing dirt is fun but I realized that it took some skill and training to do it correctly.

-When you were a kid and still indestructable did you ever try something really stupid like jumping off the roof while using a blanket as a parachute? No ,,, I seemed to avoid that type of thing.

-You have been chosen to come up with a new Olympic competition. It does not have to be a sport. What will be the new event? Driving a car while drinking, texting on a cellphone and eating pizza in city traffic during rush hour.

-Have you ever called a radio station that was having contest? no Did you win? no

-Have you ever eaten somewhere that had a bowl of peanuts to munch on while waiting for your meal? yes .... Did you throw the shells on the floor? yes, the entire floor was shells. I thought it might be a fire hazard.........

-Do you taste your food first or just add seasonings such as salt and pepper before tasting?

Today is...

These questions have been stored on the back porch of a strangers house for the past week. Answer them at your own risk.

Last edited by AksarbeN; 06-10-2017 at 10:25 PM..

Old 06-10-2017, 10:13 PM

61,901 posts, read 87,406,262 times

-When driving have you ever pulled into a rest stop or somewhere else and taken a nap in your car?

Yes. Many times. It's a logical thing to do when you feel sleepy, but for whatever reason not going to look for a hotel.

Probably 12 or so. Of course not a long distance, or public road.

The legal age to get a drivers license in Poland (and most European countries) is 18, or 17 with supervision.

Bicycle, scooter, segway, snowmobile, ATV, golf cart, tractor ....

-When you were a kid and still indestructable did you ever try something really stupid like jumping off the roof while using a blanket as a parachute?

I did bunch of stupid things, but they were not life threatening

-You have been chosen to come up with a new Olympic competition. It does not have to be a sport. What will be the new event?

Darwin Awards! A lot of very talented people live among us!

Yup! Before I got engaged in C-D, that what I did when I was bored at work Won usually tickets to events or food freebies.

-Have you ever eaten somewhere that had a bowl of peanuts to munch on while waiting for your meal? Did you throw the shells on the floor?

Haha! Yes!!! Local steakhouse wants patrons to be messy! But I just couldn't do that! It feel weird to throw trash on the floor.

Of course I try it first. How else would I know if needs to be seasoned? Most food prepared by others is way too salty for me, but if is just bland, I would try to improve it.

Today is...

Great questions AM! Thank you!
Have a great Sunday, peeps!

Last edited by elnina; 06-10-2017 at 10:52 PM..

Old 06-10-2017, 10:50 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,224,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post

-When driving have you ever pulled into a rest stop or somewhere else and taken a nap in your car?Once years ago I had to pull over and take a nap on the side of the road. Yes I was sober but in the middle of no where and exhausted.

-How old were you when you first drove a car? 14 Drove a Jeep in a farm field.

-How old were you when you got your drivers license?16

-Have you ever driven something besides a car or truck?Yes an actual ferm tractor mowing 5 acres.

-When you were a kid and still indestructable did you ever try something really stupid like jumping off the roof while using a blanket as a parachute?No. At least not when I was sober enough to remember.

-Have you ever called a radio station that was having contest?Not I Did you win? Wife won tickets to a concert years ago.

-Have you ever eaten somewhere that had a bowl of peanuts to munch on while waiting for your meal? yesDid you throw the shells on the floor? Yes

-Do you taste your food first or just add seasonings such as salt and pepper before tasting?Salt all homemade foods first. Do not salt prepared foods as they likely have salt already.

Today is...
-NATIONAL CORN ON THE COB DAY Love fresh corn on the cob

Thanks Mutt Nice Job

Old 06-10-2017, 11:01 PM
bjh

60,147 posts, read 30,446,533 times
Just when you thought it was safe?
Jaws theme. Not as scary as remembered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo_Q82lzGBg

I have. When I drove a truck I stopped at rest areas to full on sleep. In a car I've also
stopped at gas stations, hotel (kind of ironic) and even hospital parking lots. Better to snooze than lose.

Probably 12 or 13. It was on dirt tracks on acreage or in parking lots.
Learner's permit at 15. Full license at 16.
As mentioned, semi trucks.

I've done lots of stupid stuff. For example, we used to ride our bikes off ramps knowing
we'd wipe out and did it anyway. Never a bone broken. It was on dirt which helped, no doubt.

How about toenail clipping? Points for:
Form - all hunched over,
Accuracy - clipping nail and not flesh, and
Neatness - clipping what you can't see all that well.

I've called, but never won anything.

Yep, at Texas Roadhouse and Five Guys. They have a tin bucket at every table at Texas
Roadhouse. I wonder if TN Tin Man knows anything about that? I don't remember what
you do with the shells at Five Guys.

I seldom add salt or pepper, so taste first by default.

Today is...
-NATIONAL CORN ON THE COB DAY With butter.

That explains the cobwebs and the aroma of dog kibble. Then again the kibble may be
because Alaskan Mutt posted them. Thanks for retrieving the questions, Mutt!

Old 06-10-2017, 11:41 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,915,120 times

Nope!
Not sure 10 -11 -12 maybe.
14 for motorcycle and 16 for car.
Motorcycle and a few other types of vehicles.

-When you were a kid and still indestructable did you ever try something really stupid like jumping off the roof while using a blanket as a parachute? Yes! But without the parachute. Usually after watching an episode of Superman.

The pummel "cow".
Yes! Not sure if I ever won anything.

Yes! and Yes! Texas Roadhouse.
Sometimes I make the mistake of seasoning first and tasting later.

Today is...

I found a lizard and a brown recluse in my questions. Thanks for telling us now! Great questions! Thanks BJH!

Last edited by SATX56; 06-10-2017 at 11:51 PM..

Old 06-10-2017, 11:46 PM

21,574 posts, read 8,749,478 times
Ruh-roh!

No, as a woman I would not feel safe doing that.

I was fifteen years old, and we had driver's training classes in high school. I'll never forget that feeling of pressing the accelerator for the first time and feeling the car start to move. It was exhilarating!

Twenty-four. I flunked my road test at sixteen and was too embarrassed and humiliated to try again. Finally I took private driving lessons to build up my courage and aced the test.

No, I haven't, unless a TV studio camera counts.

No, but my brother Jim was good at that sort of thing. He and some neighborhood boys built an "airplane" out of bamboo sticks, an old wagon and used bed sheets. Jim convinced me that he was going to take me up and we'd fly around the neighborhood. I was so excited! But all that ever happened was that one of the boys' fathers attached a chain from his back bumper to the "airplane" and pulled it down the street a short way, where it promptly fell apart.

Another time I had a loose baby tooth, and Jim talked me into tying a string around it and attaching the other end to a battery. Then he wanted me to stand on the second floor balcony of our apartment building and throw the battery off. But at the last minute, I chickened out. It hurts me even to think of what that would have felt like.

Scrabble

Yes, and no.

Yes, I've been in some bars that had peanuts in bowls. I've also had peanuts in their shells at Logan's Roadhouse. They put little buckets at each table.

Somewhere I read that this can be a test for prospective employees. If they take you out to lunch as part of your interview, you should never salt or pepper your food before tasting it. Tasting it first shows that you have the good judgment and foresight to assess a situation first rather than making a snap decision.

That said, if it's a soup or pasta dish and they come by with grated cheese, I'll almost always say yes without even tasting first. There's no such thing as too much cheese, but too much salt or pepper can ruin a dish.

Thanks, Alaskan Mutt!

Old 06-11-2017, 01:44 AM

44,658 posts, read 61,714,444 times
When driving have you ever pulled into a rest stop or somewhere else and taken a nap in your car? Many times while driving across country.

-How old were you when you first drove a car? 12, learned to drive in a 1929 Model-A on a farm.

-How old were you when you got your drivers license? 16

-Have you ever driven something besides a car or truck? Motor bike, fork lift, farm tractor, scooter, mechanical bull...

-When you were a kid and still indestructable did you ever try something really stupid like jumping off the roof while using a blanket as a parachute? Yes using an umbrella.

-You have been chosen to come up with a new Olympic competition. It does not have to be a sport. What will be the new event? Beano noise duration contest. Like Blazing saddles.

-Have you ever called a radio station that was having contest? Yes, several. Did you win? $1000.00 cash, lotto tickets, tickets to ball games, tickets to shows, other misc.

-Have you ever eaten somewhere that had a bowl of peanuts to munch on while waiting for your meal? Yes at cowboy steakhouses. Did you throw the shells on the floor? Yep.

-Do you taste your food first or just add seasonings such as salt and pepper before tasting? Usually add salt and pepper first, depends on the food though.

Today is...

Rate this post positively good job Mutt

Old 06-11-2017, 01:45 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,041,992 times
N/A ... Don't drive

N/A ... Don't drive

N/A ... Don't drive

People crazy

-When you were a kid and still indestructable did you ever try something really stupid like jumping off the roof while using a blanket as a parachute? Nope

-You have been chosen to come up with a new Olympic competition. It does not have to be a sport. What will be the new event? Dance-a-Thon

Yes but didn't win .... I did get to ask two band members a question when I was in my teens

-Have you ever eaten somewhere that had a bowl of peanuts to munch on while waiting for your meal? Did you throw the shells on the floor? Not that I can recall ... I've had popcorn, edamame and salsa/chips as munches at restaurants

I tend to go with a recipe but if unsure, I'd taste it to ensure that it isn't overly seasoned or under seasoned. Of course, I toss the spoon into the sink and use a fresh one for stirring

Old 06-11-2017, 01:57 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,071,496 times

No. I watch horror movies. That's when the mangy killer with the hook shows up.

-How old were you when you first drove a car? 15

-How old were you when you got your drivers license? 20 (didn't need to drive when I lived in DC)

-Have you ever driven something besides a car or truck? No

Used to jump off swings when they were high in the air.

-You have been chosen to come up with a new Olympic competition. It does not have to be a sport. What will be the new event? Binge watching a 6 season TV show.

No, but it caused a big fight between my mother and I because I didn't call.

-Have you ever eaten somewhere that had a bowl of peanuts to munch on while waiting for your meal?
I think it was a bag of peanuts.

Did you throw the shells on the floor? I know that was the expectation but I can't remember if I did it.

I don't even own a salt shaker. Salt before cooking. Pepper before tasting and before cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics