Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 12:38 AM

39,212 posts, read 23,193,674 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):
Actress and author Carrie Fisher died this Tuesday the 27th.
Then her mom Debbie Reynolds died the following day.
How has any famous person(s) death come to your attention or made an impression on you? Usually watching the news on TV or reading stories online.

Bonus Section:
I remember seeing Star Wars in a crowded theater in 1977.
Did you see Star Wars during its original releases in '77 or '78? I was there!
Is there anything you like about Star Wars or is it not your "thing?" The combination of live action along with the computer-generated characters is fascinating.

Extra Credit:
Can you name another movie of any genre you that you especially remember seeing? Lots of them. Too many to list.

Has anyone spoiled a movie for you by telling you about it beforehand? No. If I feel a conversation is going in that direction, I'll let the other person know I haven't seen the movie yet and we'll change the subject.

From ticket prices to concessions to annoying moviegoers or anything else big or small,
do you have a movie-going memory that sticks in your mind? Going to the drive-in with my parents when I was a kid (remember those?). I wish those were still around.

Foodie Questions:
Chicken and dumplings, yea or nay?

Have you heard of chicory or had coffee with chicory in it? I don't drink coffee but I have heard of coffee with chicory in it.
---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_substitute

Just for Fun:
In a restaurant would you like a booth or a table? Booth is my first choice.
Do you like those big, circular corner booths when you're with a lot of people? If I'm with a big party, then those are OK.

Enjoy the last Thursday of 2016!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 12:41 AM

8,003 posts, read 5,451,801 times
Good Morning

Today's Question(s):
How has any famous person(s) death come to your attention or made an impression on you? Prince was a shock, probably because he was around my age.

Bonus Section:
Did you see Star Wars during its original releases in '77 or '78? Yes, first and last date with this guy. I was bored, I am not a science fiction girl.
Is there anything you like about Star Wars or is it not your "thing?"

Extra Credit:
Can you name another movie of any genre you that you especially remember seeing? No, I see a lot of movies, I like the big screen.

Has anyone spoiled a movie for you by telling you about it beforehand? No, I try not to listen to anything about a movie until I see it.

From ticket prices to concessions to annoying moviegoers or anything else big or small,
do you have a movie-going memory that sticks in your mind? My first movie alone was a couple of years ago at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema in Austin, Texas. Really nice experience. Wish there was one around here.

Foodie Questions:

Have you heard of chicory or had coffee with chicory in it?

Just for Fun:
In a restaurant would you like a booth or a table?
Do you like those big, circular corner booths when you're with a lot of people? Yes and no--as long as I am not stuck in the middle.

Today Includes:
YMCA Day, the organization - not the song Let's sing the song anyways!

Have a warm and toasty day!

Old 12-29-2016, 12:58 AM

6,903 posts, read 7,683,973 times
Today's Question(s):
How has any famous person(s) death come to your attention or made an impression on you? This double loss has been shocking to me. I somehow feel as though I personally knew each of them. So sad. I remember being equally shocked by the death of John Belushi. Fisher and Belushi ran in the same drug taking crowd. We were all so young and stupid.

Bonus Section:
Did you see Star Wars during its original releases in '77 or '78? Yes. I was working as a grunt on an archaeological site in the summer of 1977 with a bunch of other young people. There was this girl who was from California - she told the rest of us about the best movie she'd ever seen that had just come out. We were working long, hot, exhausting days and sleeping in a school gymnasium, and that movie sounded so cool!
We didn't have the time or money to go see it where we were, so I couldn't wait until I got home to go see it. The summer of 77 was a good one for me - that dig experience brought a lot of firsts to my life! Among other things, I got the skinniest I've ever been in my life, and I saw Star Wars in between the dig and college.

Is there anything you like about Star Wars or is it not your "thing?" Well, I've never been a fan girl, but I did enjoy it. I don't remember when the second one came out, but I do remember when the 3rd one came out. It involved a guy from France and helping my sister move to Boston . . . So, we saw that one in a theater in Boston.

Extra Credit:
Can you name another movie of any genre you that you especially remember seeing? I remember seeing Dances With Wolves for the first time in a theater in Salt Lake City. It made such an impression on me, especially probably because I had recently been working with "Western" artifacts, including frontier military artifacts.

Has anyone spoiled a movie for you by telling you about it beforehand? Well, no one could keep their traps shut about the big reveal in The Crying Game.

From ticket prices to concessions to annoying moviegoers or anything else big or small, do you have a movie-going memory that sticks in your mind? I think I just talked about them above.

Foodie Questions:
Chicken and dumplings, yea or nay? I don't eat dead bird, but I'm going to say YEA to this any way because the protein doesn't have to be chicken, and I like the traditional flavor of this dish.

Have you heard of chicory or had coffee with chicory in it? No, but I remember my parents drinking it. I think there's some southern coffee brand that has chicory in it.

Just for Fun:
In a restaurant would you like a booth or a table? Used to be booth, but after screwing up my back chairs at a table are more comfortable.
Do you like those big, circular corner booths when you're with a lot of people? Used to. Now the thought makes me claustrophobic.

Today's Quote:
“If anything, my mother taught me how to sur-thrive. That's my word for it.”
~ Carrie Fisher, actress

Today's Bonus Quote:
"I live right in front of my daughter. I have a little house right in front of her because I can stay in touch. It's like a little commune, and it's very nice, because you can be close. I can see my granddaughter. I live very close to my brother, too, and my son. We're a very close family."
~ Debbie Reynolds

I'm so sad about those two, and am really feeling bad for Carrie's daughter. How hard this must be for her! I just hope she's someone who can stay away from drugs.

Thanks, B, even though you made me sad.

Old 12-29-2016, 01:23 AM

3,929 posts, read 2,976,415 times
Today's Question(s):
How has any famous person(s) death come to your attention or made an impression on you? It's sad when someone whose work you enjoy passes. MJ, Robin Williams, David Bowie, George Michael, Prince, Edward Herrmann and many others made me feel sad that I will no longer get to enjoy their work of art. I don't feel devestated like when someone I actually know dies, but I do feel sad.

Bonus Section:
Did you see Star Wars during its original releases in '77 or '78? nope. I would have been 1 years old then.
Is there anything you like about Star Wars or is it not your "thing?" Ive seen the original 3 movies many times, but it's not really my thing. I don't hate Star Wars, but I don't geek out over it like some.

Extra Credit:
Can you name another movie of any genre you that you especially remember seeing? When I was little, I loved musicals. So when my parents took me to see Annie in the theater, I was so excited. In fact, they took me a total of three times to see it in the theater. I remember coming home one day and finding the record sitting on my bed. That was my second record (the first being Mickey and the Magic beanstalk) that I played non stop.

Has anyone spoiled a movie for you by telling you about it beforehand? Not that I recall.

do you have a movie-going memory that sticks in your mind? I remember in Junior High School, my friends and I would sneak into the Valencia Drive In to watch movies. I also remember when I went to a movie in Mexico with my cousin and we sat in the back row and threw pesos at the people in the front seats (why I have no clue). I also remember back in the day when you could ask the theater manager for the old movie posters once a movie had it's run. They'd give them to us for free. The small town I grew up in had a movie theater that played one movie for three months. The entire town could fit in the theater.

Foodie Questions:
Chicken and dumplings, yea or nay? nay

Have you heard of chicory or had coffee with chicory in it? Heard of it, never had it.

Just for Fun:
In a restaurant would you like a booth or a table? booth
Do you like those big, circular corner booths when you're with a lot of people? Those are the ones I ask to not be seated in.

Old 12-29-2016, 04:34 AM

5,925 posts, read 3,848,447 times
Strap on your flying helmets. Here are . . .

Today's Question(s):
Wait what?! Oh no, I hadn't heard about Debbie Reynolds that is overwhelmingly sad

How has any famous person(s) death come to your attention or made an impression on you?
I had always loved Robin Williams since Mork & Mindy , thought he was just so talented and creative and when I learned he committed suicide I was devastated. I could so relate to his depression struggles and I understand the pain and anguish of bipolar depression - I was very angry as well as sad that nothing or no one could save him. Unfortunately being bipolar means many thoughts of committing suicide over one's lifetime, it's a horrible disease and I guess I felt angry at him a little for not fighting through it but then again I understand - may he rest in peace.

Bonus Section:
Did you see Star Wars during its original releases in '77 or '78?
Yes I did! It was fantastic, I was only 14 but I remember waiting in line to see it in the only theater in the entire area which was in an old building and we sat in the balcony, good times
Is there anything you like about Star Wars or is it not your "thing?"
No I've always love Star Wars, I've seen all the movies except for the newest one

Extra Credit:
Can you name another movie of any genre you that you especially remember seeing?
Yes I remember going to see Bedknobs and Broomsticks in 1971, it was great for a little kid at the time with all the flying around and magic - wouldn't mind seeing it again just for S's&G's

Has anyone spoiled a movie for you by telling you about it beforehand?
Yeah my neighbor always does that, tells every damn detail and "mistakenly" gives it away

do you have a movie-going memory that sticks in your mind?
Yeah those prices are outrageous for sure, I don't remember any incidents that were over the top except for going to see "Rocky Horror Picture Show" in the 70's - that was fun though, "Damnit Janet" - throwing toast and toilet paper - I'll never forget it.

Foodie Questions:
Eh, they're ok

I've heard of it but never had it

Just for Fun:
In a restaurant would you like a booth or a table?
I prefer a booth
Do you like those big, circular corner booths when you're with a lot of people?
Not really because I feel trapped unless I get to sit on the outside

Top Music Hits This Day:
1945 Sammy Kaye - Chickery Chick
1958 Chipmunks - The Chipmunk Song
1961 Tokens - The Lion Sleeps Tonight
1978 Chic - Le Freak
1984 Madonna - Like a Virgin
1997 Elton John - Something About The Way You Look Tonight

First Published on This Day:
1782 1st nautical almanac in US published by Samuel Stearns, Boston
1916 James Joyce's 1st novel "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man"

Today's Quote:
~ Carrie Fisher, actress

Today's Bonus Quote:
"I live right in front of my daughter. I have a little house right in front of her because
I can stay in touch. It's like a little commune, and it's very nice, because you can be
close. I can see my granddaughter. I live very close to my brother, too, and my son. We're a very close family."
~ Debbie Reynolds

Today’s Word:
nexus [NEK-suh s] noun
a connected series or group; tie; link
Origin: Latin "nectere" to bind
The "nect" in "connect" is from the same root.

Today Includes:
YMCA Day, the organization - not the song

Today's Stately Picture:
Oklahoma. View of Wichita Mountains from Mount Scott.

Made freely available on flickr.com by jonathanw100.

Happy Thursday! May the force be with us all.

Thanks bjh!

Old 12-29-2016, 04:37 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,876,850 times
Today's Question(s):
Then her mom Debbie Reynolds died the following day. Oh.... didn't know.
How has any famous person(s) death come to your attention or made an impression on you? The first was JFK. I was in 6th grade. It seemed unreal to me.

Bonus Section:
Did you see Star Wars during its original releases in '77 or '78? I did.
Is there anything you like about Star Wars or is it not your "thing?" Wasn't my thing at the time. If it weren't for my older daughter being interested, I still probably wouldn't know much about it. My four year old grandson could tell you more about Star Wars than I.

Extra Credit:
Can you name another movie of any genre you that you especially remember seeing? Horror Movies..... Watching between my fingers. First one thought of was "The Shining."

Has anyone spoiled a movie for you by telling you about it beforehand? Nothing specific that I remember.

do you have a movie-going memory that sticks in your mind? Going to the drive-in when young. Wearing jammies, sitting on the hood of the car with family and friends.

Foodie Questions:
Chicken and dumplings, yea or nay? Haven't made chicken and dumplings in ages. Sounds good!

Have you heard of chicory or had coffee with chicory in it? Have heard of, haven't had.

Just for Fun:
In a restaurant would you like a booth or a table? Usually a booth
Do you like those big, circular corner booths when you're with a lot of people? Not a circular booth, but friends and I try to get the circular table that sits in a corner at our favorite restaurant.

Top Music Hits This Day:
1978 Chic - Le Freak

Know all above except Chickery Chick

Today's Quote:
~ Carrie Fisher, actress

Today's Bonus Quote:
"I live right in front of my daughter. I have a little house right in front of her because
I can stay in touch. It's like a little commune, and it's very nice, because you can be
close. I can see my granddaughter. I live very close to my brother, too, and my son. We're a very close family."
~ Debbie Reynolds

Today’s Word:
nexus [NEK-suh s] noun

Today Includes:

Today's Stately Picture:

Happy Thursday! May the force be with us all. Thanks, bjh.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:06 AM

27,493 posts, read 27,517,336 times
Yes I did see the first Star Wars movie and was impressed overall by everything.
The only movie going memory that stick in my mind was one so boring I actually had to keep hitting my lip to stay awake. Can't think which one it was but it was way back in the 90s.
Chicken and dumplings, oh heck ya!
Have an awesome Thursday!

Old 12-29-2016, 05:33 AM

126,520 posts, read 19,260,635 times
Strap on your flying helmets. Here are . . .

Today's Question(s):
How has any famous person(s) death come to your attention or made an impression on you? That would be Luciano Pavarotti I love his music

Bonus Section:
Did you see Star Wars during its original releases in '77 or '78? Could be I don't remember
Is there anything you like about Star Wars or is it not your "thing?" I am not too into it

Extra Credit:
Can you name another movie of any genre you that you especially remember seeing? Gone with the Wind

Has anyone spoiled a movie for you by telling you about it beforehand? Yes

do you have a movie-going memory that sticks in your mind? No

Foodie Questions:
Chicken and dumplings, yea or nay? Yes

Have you heard of chicory or had coffee with chicory in it? I heard of it

Just for Fun:
In a restaurant would you like a booth or a table? Booth
Do you like those big, circular corner booths when you're with a lot of people? Have not seen any

Top Music Hits This Day:
1978 Chic - Le Freak

Today's Quote:
~ Carrie Fisher, actress

Today's Bonus Quote:
~ Debbie Reynolds

Today’s Word:
nexus [NEK-suh s] noun

Today Includes:

Today's Stately Picture:
Oklahoma. View of Wichita Mountains from Mount Scott....Beautiful

Happy Thursday! May the force be with us all.

Thank you bjh

Old 12-29-2016, 06:28 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,529,211 times
[b]Today's Question(s):
How has any famous person(s) death come to your attention or made an impression on you? Just how horribly sad it is.

Bonus Section:
Did you see Star Wars during its original releases in '77 or '78? I did
Is there anything you like about Star Wars or is it not your "thing?" I liked it back then when I was a kid. I did not see any of the newer ones.

Extra Credit:
Can you name another movie of any genre you that you especially remember seeing? Raiders of the Lost Ark

Has anyone spoiled a movie for you by telling you about it beforehand? Probably

do you have a movie-going memory that sticks in your mind? Just that I am mostly disappointed in them

Foodie Questions:
Chicken and dumplings, yea or nay? Yay…I like the slick dumplings not the puffy ones

Just for Fun:
In a restaurant would you like a booth or a table? Booth
Do you like those big, circular corner booths when you're with a lot of people? No…I only like booths for 4 or less

Happy Thursday! May the force be with us all. You also

Old 12-29-2016, 06:37 AM

4,865 posts, read 3,691,770 times
Default Thursday, my Friday

Today's Question(s):
How has any famous person(s) death come to your attention or made an impression on you?
In 2016, many of them. Bowie, George Michael, Carrie Fisher. Especially Leonard Cohen, I've been a die-hard fan for years.

Bonus Section:
Did you see Star Wars during its original releases in '77 or '78? Only SW movie I ever saw was the one out last year. Didn't get it.
Is there anything you like about Star Wars or is it not your "thing?" Not my thing.

Extra Credit:
Can you name another movie of any genre you that you especially remember seeing? Pulp Fiction/Kill Bill my all time favs.
Has anyone spoiled a movie for you by telling you about it beforehand? All the time.

do you have a movie-going memory that sticks in your mind? Going to see movies with my son. We always had a good time.

Foodie Questions:
Chicken and dumplings, yea or nay? YES YES YES

Have you heard of chicory or had coffee with chicory in it? My mom liked it. I brought her some Community coffee from New Orleans one time. I think it had chicory in it.

Just for Fun:
In a restaurant would you like a booth or a table? BOOTH
Do you like those big, circular corner booths when you're with a lot of people? NO

Top Music Hits This Day:
1978 Chic - Le Freak

Today's Quote:
~ Carrie Fisher, actress

Today's Bonus Quote:
~ Debbie Reynolds

Today’s Word:
nexus [NEK-suh s] noun

Today Includes:

Today's Stately Picture:

Happy Thursday! May the force be with us all. [/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics