Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 01:04 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,618,354 times

Advertisements

Mornin' all!

Hope you're all ready for some fun and interesting questions...

Today's Question(s):
Does your town have a Farmer's Market, where you can purchase all kinds of fresh vegetables? If so, do you ever shop there? And if so, what do you get the best bargains on? What can you get there that you cannot get elsewhere?

Bonus Question(s):
You get three days on a deserted island, or in a cabin in the woods, the choice is yours. How will you entertain yourself?

Just for Fun:
Are you older or younger than today's hit song (see below)?

Today in History:
Birthday: 1947 Carlos Santana, Mexican and American musician
Entertainment: 1968 Iron Butterfly's "In-a-gadda-da-vida" becomes 1st heavy metal song to hit charts, it comes in at #117
Science: 1976 U.S. Viking 1 lands on Mars at Chryse Planitia, 1st Martian landing
Sports: 2015 Golfer Zach Johnson wins the British Open, becoming one of only six golfers in history to win at both the St. Andrews Old Course and the Augusta National course

Today’s Word:
logrolling
Pronunciation: (LOG-ro-ling)
Meaning: noun:
1. The exchanging of favors, especially by legislators by voting for each other’s legislation.
2. A sport in which two players stand on a floating log and try to knock each other off by spinning the log with their feet.
Etymology: From the former practice of neighbors helping each other move logs by rolling them.
Earliest documented use: 1792.

Today is:
International Cake Day
Moon Day
Space Exploration Day
National Lollipop Day
World Jump Day
3rd Wednesday: Take Your Poet To Work Day

Quote of the Day:
"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace." ~ Carlos Santana ~

Have a good day everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 01:05 AM

44,676 posts, read 61,781,466 times

Today's Question(s):
Does your town have a Farmer's Market, where you can purchase all kinds of fresh vegetables? Yes.
If so, do you ever shop
there? Occasionally.
And if so, what do you get the best bargains on? Vegetables/fruits.
What can you get there that you cannot get elsewhere?
Freshness.

Bonus Question(s):
You get three days on a deserted island, or in a cabin in the woods, the choice is yours. How will you entertain yourself? Exploring.

Just for Fun:
Are you older or younger than today's hit song (see below)?Older.

Today in History:
Entertainment: 1968 Iron Butterfly's "In-a-gadda-da-vida" becomes 1st heavy metal song to hit charts, it comes in at #117
Science: 1976 U.S. Viking 1 lands on Mars at Chryse Planitia, 1st Martian landing
Sports: 2015 Golfer Zach Johnson wins the British Open, becoming one of only six golfers in history to win at both the St. Andrews Old Course and the Augusta National course

Today’s Word:
logrolling
1. The exchanging of favors, especially by legislators by voting for each other’s legislation.
2. A sport in which two players stand on a floating log and try to knock each other off by spinning the log with their feet.
Etymology: From the former practice of neighbors helping each other move logs by rolling them.

Today is:
International Cake Day
Moon Day
Space Exploration Day
National Lollipop Day
World Jump Day

Quote of the Day:
"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace." ~ Carlos Santana ~

Last edited by wit-nit; 07-20-2016 at 01:16 AM..

Old 07-20-2016, 01:06 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,964,304 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):
Does your town have a Farmer's Market, where you can purchase all kinds of fresh vegetables? If so, do you ever shop there?
And if so, what do you get the best bargains on? What can you get there that you cannot get elsewhere? Nothing.

Bonus Question(s):
You get three days on a deserted island, or in a cabin in the woods, the choice is yours. How will you entertain yourself?
Sleep and wander! Not necessarily in that order.

Just for Fun:

Much older!

Today in History:

Today’s Word:
logrolling

Today is:
International Cake Day
Moon Day
Space Exploration Day
National Lollipop Day
World Jump Day

Quote of the Day:

Thanks PatsCats! Nice job!

Old 07-20-2016, 01:22 AM

21,599 posts, read 8,768,979 times
Today's Question(s):
Does your town have a Farmer's Market, where you can purchase all kinds of fresh vegetables? If so, do you ever shop there? And if so, what do you get the best bargains on? What can you get there that you cannot get elsewhere?
Yes, there are farmers' markets in several different neighborhoods of my city. I have shopped at the one nearest me. I don't go often because they are only open on Sunday and they close at 1pm. I don't know about bargains, but the quality has always been good. As far as I know the same produce is available elsewhere, but maybe not the same quality and/or not quite as fresh.

Bonus Question(s):
Maybe I will finish The Bully Pulpit, all 900-something pages of it. I would also listen to music, play cards and take some nature walks.

Just for Fun:
I'm way older than "In-a-Gadda-da-Vida" because I was an adult when it was released. I have the LP.

Thanks, Pat!

Old 07-20-2016, 01:23 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,596,539 times
Today's Question(s):
Does your town have a Farmer's Market, where you can purchase all kinds of fresh vegetables? If so, do you ever shop there? And if so, what do you get the best bargains on? What can you get there that you cannot get elsewhere? It does but I haven't been to it yet. My son goes to the one where he lives, 20 miles from us. Said there's a man that sells aged beef. Pretty expensive but he said it's tender and delicious!

Bonus Question(s):
Doing absolutely nothing! And enjoying it!

Just for Fun:
Are you older or younger than today's hit song (see below)? I'm older. Played this song in our half time show one year I was in the high school band. LOVE the long drum solo!

Old 07-20-2016, 01:45 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,038,737 times
Mornin' all! Mornin'!

Today's Question(s):

We have several - it's fun to explore but I usually end up with flowers, cukes, tomatoes - flowers are a bargain but although you would think the veggies would be as well, they really aren't; I can get it all at all the other grocery stores - we have many in this area.

Bonus Question(s):
You get three days on a deserted island, or in a cabin in the woods, the choice is yours. How will you entertain yourself? I want the island - if no wi-fi I would have a deck of cards; go exploring; maybe a little shore fishing; play games on my computer until the battery died
Just for Fun:
Are you older or younger than today's hit song (see below)? Just a wee bit older

Quote of the Day:

Old 07-20-2016, 02:26 AM
bjh

60,172 posts, read 30,479,337 times
Today's Question(s):
Does your town have a Farmer's Market, where you can purchase all kinds of fresh vegetables? Sort of.
If so, do you ever shop
there? Browsed.
And if so, what do you get the best bargains on? Not sure.
What can you get there that you cannot get elsewhere? Venison.

Bonus Question(s):
Explore the woods a bit, skip rocks on the nearby creek, sit out on the screened in porch at night and watch the fireflies.

Just for Fun:
Are you older or younger than today's hit song (see below)? I'm as old as my nose and older than my teeth.

Last edited by bjh; 07-20-2016 at 02:44 AM.. Reason: oops, teeth not fillings, well, those too actually

Old 07-20-2016, 02:42 AM

37,809 posts, read 41,101,157 times
Today's Question(s):
Does your town have a Farmer's Market, where you can purchase all kinds of fresh vegetables?

Yes on Saturdays and Wednesdays.

If so, do you ever shop there? And if so, what do you get the best bargains on? What can you get there that you cannot get elsewhere?

Never been.

Bonus Question(s):

Reading in the cabin.

Just for Fun:

Not sure why Billboard #117 makes it a hit. But that could be because the song was too long to be played on then pop radio stations. It seemed more popular only after I got to college. I was in high school. Not a favorite of mine.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:50 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,573,097 times
Mornin' all!

Today's Question(s):

We have many small stands instead of one central Farmer's Market. They all tend to be way overpriced. I have found a few that we hit. And we primarily get jalapenos and fresh tomatoes.

Bonus Question(s):

Get my shootin' iron and get me some grub and cook it and eat it.

Just for Fun:

Today in History:

Quote of the Day:
"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace." ~ Carlos Santana ~ Love Carlos Santana!

Old 07-20-2016, 02:51 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,176,445 times
yes
not yet

swim in the ocean, fish, cook, eat, pick and eat some coconuts

older
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics