Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 09:02 AM

44,689 posts, read 61,837,844 times

Advertisements

cAPS LOCK ON

yEP hAPPENS qUITE oFTEN....mAYBE wE sHOULD pUT a cAP oN iT...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 09:44 AM

16,719 posts, read 17,493,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Now all we need is a key that will just UNCAP it without erasing what you've just typed!

Good peeve!!!!
Yep- I've often wished for such a key!

Old 04-27-2013, 11:41 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,812,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I want a keyboard that doesn't hide biscuit (cookie) crumbs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Whoever invents a keyboard like that could make millions!
Ask and ye shall receive: keyboard covers - Google Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
Now all we need is a key that will just UNCAP it without erasing what you've just typed!

Good peeve!!!!
Quote:
Yep- I've often wished for such a key!
From Nitram's post:

"yEP hAPPENS qUITE oFTEN....mAYBE wE sHOULD pUT a cAP oN iT"

Open Word (assumption alert!) and copy the offending text into it.

Highlight the text

Open the Format menu

Click on Change Case

Choose Toggle Case

Viola!

"Yep Happens Quite Often....Maybe We Should Put A Cap On It"

Copy it back into the post. This isn't very efficient for short sentences, but if you are like me it can be very handy.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:13 PM

16,913 posts, read 16,181,878 times
Quote:
I want a keyboard that doesn't hide biscuit (cookie) crumbs!
You need to adjust how you eat your biscuits! Put the whole dang thing in your mouth at once!
Viola! No crumbs!

Old 04-27-2013, 12:43 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,838,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Ask and ye shall receive: keyboard covers - Google Search

From Nitram's post:

"yEP hAPPENS qUITE oFTEN....mAYBE wE sHOULD pUT a cAP oN iT"

Open Word (assumption alert!) and copy the offending text into it.

Highlight the text

Open the Format menu

Click on Change Case

Choose Toggle Case

Viola!

"Yep Happens Quite Often....Maybe We Should Put A Cap On It"

Copy it back into the post. This isn't very efficient for short sentences, but if you are like me it can be very handy.
By the time I figure out how to do all that I could write a novel. It happens to me all the time at work when I write my notes on my patients. It's annoying especially when it happens at the end of the shift and I can't wait to get home

Old 04-28-2013, 03:50 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,812,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
By the time I figure out how to do all that I could write a novel. It happens to me all the time at work when I write my notes on my patients. It's annoying especially when it happens at the end of the shift and I can't wait to get home
Practice makes perfect. After awhile it's second nature. In fact, if you have Word 2003 or earlier I can write a macro that will do it for you (so can you). Then all you have to do is highlight the offending text, copy it to the clipboard, open (or switch to if it's open) Word and press a shortcut combination. The macro would do the rest.

To do this yourself

Please read the entire set of instructions before you start there is an option in middle that makes a big difference in how you use. it.

Open Word.

Enter some text. It doesn't matter what the text is for this exercise.

Click on the Tools menu and then Macro and then Record New Macro

Give the macro a name. ToggleText would be a good one (Don't use spaces)

You can assign the macro to the toolbar or the keyboard. I'll use the keyboard for this example.

Leave the defaults in the bottom two text boxes as they are.

Click on the keyboard icon to continue

The next dialog box requires only one input. You can ignore all the other boxes except Press new Shortcut Key. You'll not that the cursor is already flashing in this box. The only exception to this statement comes if there are key combinations shown in the Current Keys: box and that is because you don't want to replace any of those by accident.

To be obvious I'll use Alt-T for the key combination. Ctrl-T, Shft-T, etc will work as well. Pick one that you are comfortable with.

Press and hold the Alt key and press t

Click Assign. Click Close.

The dialog box will close and a new, small box will open over the Word document. Don't worry if it covers part of the text.

Now we record the macro.

Press and hold Ctrl and press a - This will highlight all the text (see note below)

Open the Format menu

Click on Change Case

Choose Toggle Case

The Word document screen returns.

Press Ctrl-c to copy the text to the clipboard

In that little box that appeared when you closed the create macro dialog box click on the blue square to stop the recording. To be sure you are clicking the correct location you can hold the cursor over it and it will display a text box that says Stop Recording.

Note: If you are already in Word you don't want to use ctrl-a while recording the macro. Skip that step because you'll want to highlight the specific text that has the incorrect case then run the macro. If the errors you make are already in Word you simply skip the initial copy/paste and the need to return to the original location, like CD. You can also highlight just part of a document at the beginning instead of using Ctrl-a to select all.

You now created a Word macro that will toggle the case of your text and every time you need to do so you copy the text into Word and press Alt-t to do so.

The last step is to return to the original location (CD?) and press Ctrl-v to paste the changed text over the still highlighted incorrect text.

If the errors you make are already in Word you simply skip the initial copy/paste and the need to return to the original location, like CD. You can also highlight just part of a document at the beginning of the change instead of using Ctrl-a to select all.

I will answer any questions you may have.

Keep in mind that even though the creation of a macro may seem complicated, you only have to do it once.

Last edited by Tek_Freek; 04-28-2013 at 04:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics