Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:03 AM

16,792 posts, read 17,558,562 times

Advertisements

Good morning peevers.

There's an article coming up on Breakfast TV in a few minutes about the fact that there's a drought here but parts of those areas are experiencing flooding. From the articles I've seen in the past and from the preview of this one it seems that these broadcasters either can't or won't understand that you can have both, and indeed can be linked due to the hard ground not letting water soak through to the water table where it is stored.

Rant over, but there is so much misreporting in the media. I was misquoted on a front page news article recently, even though I let them know that the proof copy I'd been sent was inaccurate.

By way of a long introduction, my heartfelt POTD is;

Misreporting in the media.

(Perhaps you have an example you could share?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 04:34 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,174,241 times
The local paper once put my Dad in the obituaries rather than the birthdays section which caused him some amusement when his friends phoned up to offer condolences to my Mum and he answered.

He did get an apology from the paper.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:24 AM

44,746 posts, read 62,066,529 times
I'm a news nut and watch/listen/read various news media and it's interesting the different spin they give on the same story which leads you to believe none of them.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:27 AM

11,864 posts, read 11,082,926 times
I don't watch the news, but will peruse some of the news sites. Have a wanna-be journalist down here who 'reports' all kinds of BS. Called him out one time when he wrote something completely inaccurate about a friend of mine. What a loser.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:15 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,516,098 times
I was reported dead on March 17, 2011. I had to clear it up with social security and everything--with an hours-long interview and huge background check. Then I had to sign all these papers proving I'm still alive. I'm just so glad no one tried to steal my identity during the two weeks or so that my social security number was public domain. And the only reason I found out at all is because I applied for a passport, and the agency called my father with their condolences. That's when my dad handed the phone over to me and it went something like this:
Agency Operator: This is Nim?
Me: Yes.
AO: Nim Chimpsky?
Me: Yes.
AO: You're alive?
Me: Um. Yeah. Why?
AO: We did a Google search and your obituary came up.
Me: [laughing] Seriously? [I went over to my computer to check. Sure enough, it was there.]

At first I thought it was the obituary company's error, but when I contacted them, they said they got their information directly from social security, and only then did I realize I had to go through the whole process of proving I'm still alive and well.

I think something like 23,000 people get misreported dead per year.

I know exactly why they did. I ran away from an abusive situation and didn't stay in touch with anyone, so I was there one day and gone the next. But I guess it never occurred to the people in that area to check with my relatives first before reporting me dead to social security.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:27 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,165,621 times
Grrrrrrrrrr.........this p*ss*s me off!

Old 04-27-2012, 07:56 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,268,094 times
This happens all the time. Our local newspaper has to print some kind of retraction at least once a month.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:56 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,520,658 times
I don't trust the media at all. The days of investigative reporting is gone. Now it's about sensationalism and ratings.. oh yeah...and also who bought and paid for them

Old 04-27-2012, 07:58 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,520,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
I'm a news nut and watch/listen/read various news media and it's interesting the different spin they give on the same story which leads you to believe none of them.
I once heard a litigation lawyer say something similar. He said "we all get the same facts but whoever tells the best story with those facts wins"

It's sadly not about truth anymore.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:04 AM

44,466 posts, read 20,236,877 times
Great peeve, Jezer! It happens all the time. I think it's deplorable that members of the media print or broadcast
information that hasn't been verified. It's their job, for Pete's sake!

To those here who have been reported deceased, my condolences.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics