Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,485,290 times

Advertisements

When my maternal grandmother died I was left with her collection of photographs. Some of them were from the late 1800s to the early 1900s. Luckily she had written identifying info on about 75% of them. That left me with 25% to identify. All my uncles and aunts are deceased. My mother was the oldest child but she has Alzheimer's. I'm the oldest grandchild and my cousins don't know who folks are. So, there are many photos I cannot identify.

There is no way I can get rid of these photographs. These are my ancestors and I am a very sentimental person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 10:16 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,292,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
That is so funny DK!

That fence is now up after the long wait for it to arrive;
That is a nice hide-away fence. How sturdy will it be with strong wind? Are there tension wires on the back side? That's my very limited fence knowledge working.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:19 AM

24,734 posts, read 26,333,683 times
What was that photo all about?

Now you done it as I look at a stack of photos the I've been meaning to scan for awhile.

We did scan some and burned CD's and sent them off to some folks to see if they could identify some of the people and places in the photos without much success including many that were my Dads when he was stationed in England during WWII.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:26 AM

16,854 posts, read 17,627,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
That is a nice hide-away fence. How sturdy will it be with strong wind? Are there tension wires on the back side? That's my very limited fence knowledge working.
They are hurdles DK, but very sturdy woven hazel hurdles, and are attached by very strong ties to large posts at the back that have been driven in four feet into the ground.

I don't want to tempt fate but I'd say that they are going to be fine- and because there are gaps where the hazel is woven the wind can pass through to some extent.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
They are hurdles DK, but very sturdy woven hazel hurdles, and are attached by very strong ties to large posts at the back that have been driven in four feet into the ground.

I don't want to tempt fate but I'd say that they are going to be fine- and because there are gaps where the hazel is woven the wind can pass through to some extent.
Ah! Now I see the big posts! Posts that size four feet down will be very sturdy. Nothing to worry about, none at all.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
Ah! Now I see the big posts! Posts that size four feet down will be very sturdy. Nothing to worry about, none at all.
Let's hope so!

Hurdles historically were a temporary light fence used by shepherds and others.

These are much heavier.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:01 PM

28,804 posts, read 48,013,310 times
A few years back I finally got the albums (most of them anyway) from my mothers house. She died in 1981 and I had been trying to get them so I could do some scanning.

I scanned everything from them, from older relatives, and some we had. I organized them into folders, found a nice, free viewer, added the genealogy file from one of my brothers and a link to the My Heritage program, and sent it all on CDs to over 20 people.

And wasn't just pictures. It included pages from a grandfathers daily log, death and birth certificates from a GG grandfather who worked on the ships taking blacks to Liberia, marriage certificates, medicinal formulas from an ancestral doctor, all sorts of stuff.

Here's one of my favorites from the daily log. It says, April 6, 1908 "Mr. Peters shot at Mrs. Penn. Hit Constable Allen."

One of the other notes is "Earthquake in San Francisco".

Old 02-15-2013, 12:32 PM
bjh

60,622 posts, read 30,730,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
A few years back I finally got the albums (most of them anyway) from my mothers house. She died in 1981 and I had been trying to get them so I could do some scanning.

I scanned everything from them, from older relatives, and some we had. I organized them into folders, found a nice, free viewer, added the genealogy file from one of my brothers and a link to the My Heritage program, and sent it all on CDs to over 20 people.

And wasn't just pictures. It included pages from a grandfathers daily log, death and birth certificates from a GG grandfather who worked on the ships taking blacks to Liberia, marriage certificates, medicinal formulas from an ancestral doctor, all sorts of stuff.

Here's one of my favorites from the daily log. It says, April 6, 1908 "Mr. Peters shot at Mrs. Penn. Hit Constable Allen."

That's a treasure trove, especially to a genealogist.

Was the 2ggf a policeman?

Old 02-15-2013, 01:37 PM

Thanks for showing that Tek!

Old 02-15-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

That's a fabulous collection and extraordinarily nice thing to do for your relatives. Sure would like to know all of the story with the daily log comment! Are any of the medicinal formulas being used by your family or others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics