Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:26 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,572,868 times

Advertisements

Back in the day you had party lines, you did not have a phone number all to yourself. You would pick up the phone to make a call and there would be someone else having a phone conversation and you had to wait until they were done. There was more than a few times where we got in arguments with the people on the phone for tying up the phone line too long. The phone man would come out for free and install your phone. If I remember right the first ones only came in black and beige, and they were heavy.

Back in the day granny dresses were "in", so were go go boots, disco hats, leather hippie vests with long fringes and tye-dye shirts.

Back in the day avacado green and orange were very popular colors. Many appliances came in avacado green. Shag carpeting and popcorn ceilings were often seen.

Back in the day you saw Chiclets gum, Sen Sen's, candy cigarettes, bubble gum cigars, Tab cola (in bottles of course), cinnamon toothpicks, Abba Zabba's, Look, oversized Sweet Tarts, Teaberry gum, candy necklaces, Necco wafers, and Jujubes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 12:36 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,207,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Back in the day you had party lines, you did not have a phone number all to yourself. You would pick up the phone to make a call and there would be someone else having a phone conversation and you had to wait until they were done. There was more than a few times where we got in arguments with the people on the phone for tying up the phone line too long. The phone man would come out for free and install your phone. If I remember right the first ones only came in black and beige, and they were heavy.

Back in the day granny dresses were "in", so were go go boots, disco hats, leather hippie vests with long fringes and tye-dye shirts.

Back in the day avacado green and orange were very popular colors. Many appliances came in avacado green. Shag carpeting and popcorn ceilings were often seen.

Back in the day you saw Chiclets gum, Sen Sen's, candy cigarettes, bubble gum cigars, Tab cola (in bottles of course), cinnamon toothpicks, Abba Zabba's, Look, oversized Sweet Tarts, Teaberry gum, candy necklaces, Necco wafers, and Jujubes.
I remember all of it ^^^ "Back in the day"

Oh yes I remember party lines!!!! We would listen in sometimes

aaahhh Sen Sen's was my absolute, absolute favorite!!!!!!!!!

I had a pair of go go boots I wore them out!!!!

Maxi, midi and mini dresses and coats...I seem to remember either the coats or the dresses or both were interchangeable, you could switch between the lengths...

My best friend was addicted to Tab!!!!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:00 AM

16,792 posts, read 17,558,562 times
We're off on a cruise in the summer.

One night there's a 60s/70s themed night.

Mrs J is hunting for an outfit on the internet.

Me? I just have to look through my wardrobe.

Old 04-10-2012, 03:48 AM

1,575 posts, read 1,742,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
Double Dutch, Tether Ball, and yes I remember bollo bats!

Oh those dreaded "street lights"!...LOL...
How could I have forgotten those two . . . .

Old 04-10-2012, 04:51 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,276,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post

You remind me of a lot! Those old phones were really heavy. Party lines were not an issue in my household because there was no such thing as kids yakking on the phone.

The granny dress is something I refused to wear. That's because they looked just like the dresses my mother always wore around the house. We called them house dresses. She spiffed up when she went grocery shopping but otherwise it was the cheap cotton house dress. No way would I wear one!

Avocado green and shag carpet! About 15 years ago I looked at a house for sale in Dallas in what is called the M street area. The owners were retired and moving. The house had brown shag all over. They pulled up a corner of the shag in one room to show me beautiful hardwood floors! The man just shook his head, said he wished they had never covered it up. The value of his property was sky high and he was delighted, had no idea until his agent told him. Happy days!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Kitty View Post
You remind me of a lot! Those old phones were really heavy. Party lines were not an issue in my household because there was no such thing as kids yakking on the phone.

The granny dress is something I refused to wear. That's because they looked just like the dresses my mother always wore around the house. We called them house dresses. She spiffed up when she went grocery shopping but otherwise it was the cheap cotton house dress. No way would I wear one!

Avocado green and shag carpet! About 15 years ago I looked at a house for sale in Dallas in what is called the M street area. The owners were retired and moving. The house had brown shag all over. They pulled up a corner of the shag in one room to show me beautiful hardwood floors! The man just shook his head, said he wished they had never covered it up. The value of his property was sky high and he was delighted, had no idea until his agent told him. Happy days!
You know it's funny, I started this thread because my neighbor came out of her house wearing a house dress(I hadn't seen one in many, many years)! It reminded me of my grandmother which started me thinking about "Back in the day". As long as I can remember she wore house dresses, had every color|pattern imaginable, her main gifts were house dresses, I have to believe she loved wearing these dresses, but it was hard to tell because she rarely spoke up (except during a brief period of "The Change"). If any of you remember "Edith Bunker" and the episodes when she went through "The Change", like Edith, grandma went through something similar, shock the heck out of us when she finally spoke up LOL!! Oh, I miss my grandma

Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 AM

31,304 posts, read 33,015,996 times
Back in the day someone would send you a telegram if there was an important message for you.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:17 AM

8,828 posts, read 21,367,910 times
Back in the day, televison only had 3 channels (and when I was living in South Dakota, only one : KORN) . Just after Johnny Carson, the TV would show the flag waving and play the National Anthem and that would be it until 6:00 a.m. On KORN that meant the "Livestock Report" would come on.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-10-2012, 11:44 AM

One of many of Grandma's house dresses

"Back in the day"

Old 04-10-2012, 11:46 AM

6,434 posts, read 5,276,130 times
I think about the time I was in junior high, we finally talked my mother into wearing bermuda shorts around the house instead of those house dresses. She was always bustling, busy and sweating and we told her she would be much cooler with bermudas and sleeveless blouses. Finally she tried it and never again wore the house dress.

I remember Edith finally speaking up! Great show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiluha View Post
You know it's funny, I started this thread because my neighbor came out of her house wearing a house dress(I hadn't seen one in many, many years)! It reminded me of my grandmother which started me thinking about "Back in the day". As long as I can remember she wore house dresses, had every color|pattern imaginable, her main gifts were house dresses, I have to believe she loved wearing these dresses, but it was hard to tell because she rarely spoke up (except during a brief period of "The Change"). If any of you remember "Edith Bunker" and the episodes when she went through "The Change", like Edith, grandma went through something similar, shock the heck out of us when she finally spoke up LOL!! Oh, I miss my grandma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics